Croatia | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Croatian Government to Pursue Civil Unions for Gay Couples After People Ban Same-Sex Marriage

One day after the people of Croatia voted to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage, the government says it will pursue civil partnerships for gay couples, the NYT reports:

MilanovicPrime Minister Zoran Milanovic’s center-left government said on Monday that it would move ahead with a proposed bill to afford same-sex couples many of the legal rights enjoyed by heterosexual couples, including hospital visitation and inheritance rights, though the bill does not include the right to adopt children.

Mr. Milanovic said he regretted that the referendum had even been held. “I think it did not make us any better, smarter or prettier,” he said.

The state electoral commission said that 66 percent of those who voted answered yes to the question, “Do you agree that marriage is matrimony between a man and a woman?” Turnout was relatively low, with about 38 percent of registered voters casting ballots. Analysts said the turnout suggested that the sluggish economy and 18 percent unemployment rate were more on Croats’ minds than gay marriage.

Comments

1. Well this is good news.

Posted by: Martin | Dec 3, 2013 1:11:00 PM

2. At least the Croatian government is apparently more progressive than the majority of its people. Hope the law passes.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Dec 3, 2013 2:32:47 PM

3. ... and segregation rears its ugly head in Croatia. 'All men are equal, but some men are more equal than others.'

'Monday that it would move ahead with a proposed bill to afford same-sex couples MANY (not all) of the legal rights enjoyed by heterosexual couples'.
    ..."I believe that I might have come up with a compromise to this whole problem that will make everyone happy! People in the gay community want the same rights as married couples, but dissenters don't want the word "marriage" corrupted. So how about we let gay people get married, but call it something else?
    ...instead of referring to you as "married", you can be... butt buddies.
    ...And everyone is happy!"

Posted by: Galbanum | Dec 3, 2013 2:37:19 PM

4. Croatia is not ready for EU membership.....I think it has joined already.....but the thinking there is far too Catholic and borderline fascist to tolerate full membership , and not just on gay issues.
    There's still a strong anti-foreigner sentiment outside the tourist hubs.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 3, 2013 2:37:29 PM

5. The bill has been in the works for a while, and it's still a work in process (they're in the "public commenting" phase). But that ends on Friday, then the final version may go to parliament as soon as next week.

The draft version parallels marriage to a large extent, but it doesn't include adoption rights. If one partner has a child, though, the second (same sex) parent can become the legal guardian in the case of death... At least it would grant rights to citizenship, if anyone wants to marry a Croatian and move to the coast! (or Istria)

Not surprisingly, the anti-equality people are crying foul and claiming that their referendum, which was ONLY about the definition of the word "marriage" actually means that gay couples shouldn't have any of the rights granted by the new law. But the government is having none of it and the Constitutional Court has already said that the referendum could NOT in fact influence the rights of gay couples.

Let the fun begin!

(and let the trolls who claim that everyone is just happy about the new law eat their words)

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 3, 2013 2:40:14 PM

6. It should be remembered that the government of Croatia did not support this referendum. It has been moving slowly and surely toward supporting gay rights in an incremental manner. The Croatian government wants Croatia to be a fully modern state within the European Union with equal rights for all.

This was a campaign launched by the Catholic Church with apparently no attempt by the new, all-so-wonderful Pope Francis to stop it. In large part, it was an attempt by the Catholic Church to derail and halt the implementation of full gay rights that was underway there.

Just like the passage of Proposition 8 in the US state of California, this nauseous referendum will, too, be overturned in time.

Posted by: RonCharles | Dec 3, 2013 2:40:24 PM

7. And I wish people would stop quoting that bad translation of what the referendum actually said. The word "matrimony" appears nowhere in it. The wording was:

Are you for introducing into the Constitution of the Republic of Croatia a definition of marriage as the life union of a woman and a man.

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 3, 2013 2:47:49 PM

8. The referendum was heinous, as they are, the backers and their motives clear. As RonCharles said, it wasn't the government backing it but the Catholic Church and their rightwing mouthpiece, "In the Name of the Family." (Led by the Croatian Maggie G--barf.)

Croatia is in the EU and will remain there. If they pass a strong CU law (which, of course, the Catholic powers will try to water down as much as possible), it will put them ahead of a number of countries already in the EU (Italy, for instance) so to say they're not ready is debatable. Some of their backwards citizens and their religious cheerleaders may not be ready, but a major (if imperfect) step forward for gay rights will help sideline the zealots and get the country back on track.

Certainly, with tourism at the center of its economy, it's in their best interest to move toward rather than away from tolerance.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 3, 2013 3:01:17 PM

9. Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic sounds like a good man.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 3, 2013 3:21:42 PM

10. KEVINVNT I deem that you should back your vclaims with more proof than usual statements about how you know the wondeful gay activists and Croatians are baaad by showing me some statement, or link to some reputable Croatian media that backs the ridiculous claim in the later part of your statement. I ve been searching high and low and could not find any.

Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 3:51:57 PM

11. OK, bucko, here you go, with recordings from the mouth of the great satan herself!

Listen and weep.

For the rest of you, she says that of course the voters didn't vote just for the word marriage, just for the "form" but for the "content" as well -- meaning all the rights.

As usual with the bigots, she doesn't want us to have any rights. She just hides that until the time is right. Like all those in the US who said they had nothing against Civil Unions, just marriage. And then when Civil Unions happen -- oh no, we're against those too!

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 3, 2013 4:24:52 PM

12. The title is:

In the referendum we voted for marriage AND ALL THE RIGHTS THAT GO WITH IT

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 3, 2013 4:25:45 PM

13. NOw KEVINBVT Thank you for the link, I will make sure to read it as soon as I wreck the dreams of few aloof fools which I am dealin on Croatian boards, which has no idea what they are spouting about, regarding the same theme we all are communicating here, but I will be so bold as to say this

As far I am cinformed In the name of family wants to clasue of adoptiong, meaning alloeing gay couples to adopt children in any case be removed from this law, and the name of the link yuou provided is not as you translated it

it is we voted ABOT MARRIAGE AND THE RIGHTS THAT COME FROM IT

So, there is no mention of ALL rights and nooe mentions the rights that GO WITH IT but those that COME FROM IT

Thankfully, as I am a vicked creature who speaks fluently several slavic languages, and have a similar knowledge of english, minus the overly complicated spelling, I will be glad to present to your readers what the article is really about.

ANd do I know you? Please be so kind to stop acting like you are in a playpen and try to insult me with chilkdish nicknames - bucko, really? Show some class, do not act like a typical homosexual activist.

What about those gay movies, do you need a recomendation or not, to pass time while we wait.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 4:47:26 PM

14. Sorry for typos I have been awake almost thirty hours now, I barely see the letters on the keyboard.

( ANd I still feel that you all whoud benefit more for gay cause by finding out if Charlie Barnett is gay or not )

Leave us eastern europeans to live as we please.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 4:51:15 PM

15. If you've been up for 30 hours, our resident Eastern European troll @Saturnalia, perhaps you need to rest for a few days. Your last comment contained no information whatsoever since you hadn't even read the link provided. And trust me, you don't want to be in a translation contest with Kevin--I suspect English is not the only language at which his skills exceed yours. In other words, any attempts to fool the non-Slavic speaking among us with your anti-gay propaganda will be outed in a flash. Sweet dreams.

BTW, joining the EU was Croatia living as it pleased.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 3, 2013 5:33:32 PM

16. Sorry, dear. Obviously you are challenged in some way. Otherwise why would you be so invested in arguing against gay rights in CEE that people in CEE (in Croatia many many people, and not just gay ones) are in favor of?

Perhaps you're our Slavic Rick or Jason?

Ti mirno spavaj i usni sanak svoj, u kojem nema gayeva na Balkanu.

The point is that Markićka is arguing that the referendum wasn't about what it was about, what she herself claimed it was about, and she said she didn't want anything more. Until now. It's like the Hawaiians who tried to claim that their amendment to allow the legislature to decide about marriage wasn't really about that. Sorry: in the law, the words matter, and the only word affected by the referendum in Croatia is "marriage." The Constitutional Court said so. (of course they SHOULD have banned it outright, as an attack on minority rights, but they were appointed by the previous government)

I only wish the Towleroad readers could see and understand Markićka in action. She's like a combination of Maggie Gallagher and Dolores Umbridge from the Harry Potter series (the right wing inquisitor schoolmarm) with a dash of Eichmann. They'd understand why it's so weird to hear someone defending her.

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 3, 2013 5:38:21 PM

17. “I think it did not make us any better, smarter or prettier,”

For some reason I love the hell out of this quote.

Posted by: robroy | Dec 3, 2013 6:33:37 PM

18. KEVINVT In true homosexual activist fashion you can not do anything but insult the opponensts. And unless you can prove she organized for the exodus and murder of someone for being gay you should refrain from comparisons of the kind you obviously like. I do not read or wathch hack and lame copies of better writers so can not comment to the Harry Poterr references though.

I am challenged by the politicans who impose their will on the people, in a way that they are not given the electorate to do so, and for purpose of their own gain, personal gain. As I said you have no idea what is going on, what the referendum was really about, but yes keep listening to your friends.

Meanwhile of note, please go and see how the Croatin citizens voted in the referndum in those of your enlightened western countries.

Overwhelmingly for In the name of family.

DO not concern yopurself for how much I sleep, though I appreciate the gesture, but it is nothing for me, am used to it. Gvozdje se kuje dok je vruce. So every moment counts. I do not fight gay rights, I just want them to be implemented in a way that does not infringe on my peoples culture and tradition. I understand you might have a problem with this, as USA has a cultural tradition of a century and a half - when was the first mestion of Paul Banyan - on its own, but some of us has the roots of peoples cultural indentity for ten times over ( almost ).

You can all do whatever you please in your countries. We have the same right in ours. Meaning no adoption whatsoever, no use of the word marriage and no forcing of the religions of any kind to recognize and perform any rite that they do not wish.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 7:23:43 PM

19. The referendum certainly didn't make Croatia any prettier, but don't worry about yourself, Mr. Milanovic. You're plenty pretty.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 3, 2013 7:34:41 PM

20. ERNIE EU as you know I guess from all that is written doesnot force its memebers to implement the status of gay marriage. The ruling parties made certain statements that promised peolpe of Croatia, and Serbia and Romania and others that they will find balance between EU legislature and its nations own - I can not praise Hungarians enough for their unbending to EU in regards of constitution - in Croatia their blatant lies lead to referendum. In Serbia it lead to massive bad publicity for homosexuals, and rise of intolerance toward EU.

More than 70 percent of highschoolers in Serbia do not approve homosexuality. Voters of tommorow. And all is result of EU nonsencical attack on traditonlistic culture in the region, its funding of homosexual organiyzations, horrible miststeps of said organizations - I am basically generous in that description - and the lately attacks on Russia, which is seen as a attack on the cousin Ortodox church.

I managed once about 70 plus hours without sleep, so I am good for a couple more.

I will read the articel KEVINVT provided, though I am currently browsing through local media and corresponding to the action on the terrain. SO I beg your allowance to deal with the discussions of pesky activists in the local area, before I turn to those led somewhere far far away.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 7:36:27 PM

21. Saturnalia's Meta Ethical Moral Relativism is pathetic. Really.

If Saturnalia wants to believe that inflicting harm is OK if it's in the name of 'tradition' and 'culture', there's not much we can do to convince them otherwise. If Saturnalia thinks that subjecting minorities to the whims of the mob/majority constitutes upholding human rights, *pff* whatever.

We don't know Saturnalia's vested interest in trying to generate discord & Process Loss on a gay blog. Maybe it's for schadenfreude, maybe they are getting paid by special anti-gay interest groups to post these comments. Maybe they're just a strung-out loser who can't pick up on the social cues telling them to GO AWAY.

Posted by: Sister | Dec 3, 2013 8:02:42 PM

22. Isn't it ironic that Saturnalia wants us to go silent and 'respect' their culture, but here this personoid is invading our space and monopolizing our threads to spread hate. Maybe Saturnalia should take a page from its own book, be quiet, go away, and respect OUR culture!

Posted by: WhileE.Coyote | Dec 3, 2013 8:18:20 PM

23. SISTER I would like to see how all of htis is inflicting harm - if you can show me report of any harm done by the refernedum to someone, please I am all ready for offering the person harmed apology.

WHILEE>COYOTE Wait who is that posted first all the unthruts about what is happenign in Croatia? Was it me or the editors of your space.

ANd please do not tell me you view a site like this as the represent of your culture. Of several I visited only After Elton, who is dissapeared and Advocate hold a proffesionalism. Towleroad is not as bad as Querty, not as vile as Joe My GOd but is alsno not half the fun as Datalounge, or Good As You. I hold gay culutre in much more merit, as you should.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 8:30:13 PM

24. This is transferable.

We won't hold our breath for that apology.
    Over-And-Out.

Posted by: Sister | Dec 3, 2013 9:07:07 PM

25. SISTER that has nothing to do with Croatia. You I fear has the nice intention, but has missed my point.

Posted by: Saturnalia | Dec 3, 2013 9:31:49 PM