Woman Responds To Anti-Gay Neighbors With Gayest Holiday Lights Ever

Pride House

Dr. Mary Pham, an Irvine, California woman, received backlash from her neighbors for flying a rainbow flag on her house in support of the LGBT community. One told her, "Not in Irvine, Mary,” while others took to calling it her "fag flag" in letters to the Home Owners Association. Pham decided to counter the hate she was receiving in the most fabulous Christmas light display possible, as seen above.

Merry Christmas to all!

Comments

1. Brian1 says

The only problem with this story is that it’s not the “gay flag”. it’s the Pace flag, which is all over Italy and has nothing to do with gay pride. In addition to having the word PACE emblazoned on it, the colors are also in a different order.

2. Mike says

While the word PACE does mean peace in Italian. Amazon right now is selling the Gay Rainbow Sisters GAY Pride Flag Rainbow Flag. They also are marketing GAY teddy bears, GAY basketballs, GAY watch bands, GAY belt buckles, etc. all with a GAY rainbow. [sigh]

3. Randy says

There are many rainbow flags. Generally, red at the top, no words on it, is a LGBT flag. Red at the bottom with white text on the flag, is a peace flag. (There are others, but rarely seen).

4. Brian1 says

No Kile, that’s not at all my intention, sorry if the wording was confusing. When I said “it’s not the gay flag” I meant the one flying over her house. There are two distinct rainbow flags, a gay pride flag, which as Randy says has red on top and no words, and a peace flag, which says Pace and red at bottom. All I’m saying is that flag she’s flying is a peace flag, not a gay flag.

5. Jeip says

@BRIAN1

Whether it’s the flag design traditionally used for the LGBT community or not, that’s mostly irrelevant to the story. Her neighbors thought it was, and her neighbors reacted angrily because they thought she was doing something to support the LGBT community.

Whether that was her original intention or not is also somewhat irrelevant. What she did in the face of their bigotry is truly inspiring.

6. James in Toronto says

A question? If someone sends you a signed piece of mail criticizing you or your actions, is it then yours to reveal or publish? After all, they gave it to you.

…or does it somehow still belong to the sender?

7. Paul R says

It’s her house and it’s a frigging FLAG. She can have whatever flag she wants as long as it’s not racist or tacky. Expecting the HOA to hate a rainbow is silly.

Then again, Irvine is in Orange County…

8. Dawson says

Not in Irving? Who are these people? Based on the home and her profession it appears that these are most likely professional people.

I congratulate Mary as well as others who show courage and support to our community. Her simple, yet expensive gesture is another example that we have many supporters who will not fall to bigoted rhetoric.

Cheers to the Mary’s of the world.

9. Jaker says

@bollux. i somehow doubt the haters signed their name to their hate

@james in toronto. correspondence belongs to the receiver to do with as they wish

this woman deserves a tiara of gold stars

10. Vicki Skinner says

WOW!! What a WONDERFUL INSPIRATION!! I grew up “Behind the Orange Curtain” (Orange County – a very wealthy county south of Los Angeles & one of the MOST CONSERVATIVE counties in the U.S.) so I ESPECIALLY SALUTE you!! & if it’s true you’re hetro to boot – YEAH!!! We should be so lucky to have more people standing up for their beliefs – even if it does not effect them directly!!

To those wasting energy on bitching if it’s the proper flag or not – first off, I didn’t even notice the Pace note or if the stripes were in the right order or not – I was focused on the BEAUTY of what she created – & that it’s also stands for “Peace” – to me that’s even MORE relevant – Peace for/withIN the gay community!!!! An even MORE POWERFUL message!!!

11. Vicki Skinner says

12. Thomas Cardellino says

Why am I unable to pull up this video clip? Has copyright been asserted and the video is revoked? I want so much to see what she, as an ally, has done for the LGBTI community? Can anyone on Towleroad help me?

13. TYLER says

Would any of you want that next door to you? I know I wouldn’t. As for it being HER home, …. so? If there is a HOA, as it appears there is, there are rules. Where I live we can ONLY fly the US flag, and then on a set size pole. NOTHING on the roof including antenna/dish.