Gay Marriage | Hawaii | News

BigGayDeal.com

Court Challenge to Hawaii's Marriage Equality Law Fails

Mcdermott

A challenge to Hawaii's marriage equality law from leading bigot Rep. Bob McDermott has failed, Big Island Now reports:

LouieFirst Circuit Judge Karl Sakamoto ruled Wednesday that the Hawaii Marriage Equality Act of 2013 is constitutional under both the state and federal constitutions.

Hawaii Attorney General David M. Louie (right) issued a statement saying the ruling “unequivocally affirmed the right of people to marry the person they love without regard to gender.”

“This is a very good day for the people of Hawaii,” Louie said.

...

Sakamoto twice previously declined to issue injunctions requested by McDermott, the first to block the governor from signing the bill and the second stopping the state fromissuing same-gender marriage licenses.

Sakamoto’s ruling Wednesday was in response to a motion filed by Louie for a summary judgment.

McDermott says he plans to appeal.

Comments

1. And there are people still trying to appeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Bigots just cannot give up, no matter how lost the cause.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Jan 31, 2014 9:36:46 AM

2. Mc Dermott looks like half of the gay men I see in bars. He is protesting a bit too much.

Posted by: Bubba | Jan 31, 2014 9:38:35 AM

3. Let it go. Bigots lost. Move on to something else. You can't stop progress.

Posted by: Mona | Jan 31, 2014 9:48:54 AM

4. Bubba, I was thinking the same thing. The really straight men I know, don't think much about the gay--they are too busy chasing the gals, and are happy to know that gay men aren't competition--more women for them, then.

Posted by: kdknyc | Jan 31, 2014 9:49:05 AM

5. Those eyes.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 31, 2014 10:08:43 AM

6. Are ALL the white people in Hawaii that retarded?

Posted by: McDildo | Jan 31, 2014 12:32:29 PM

7. Does he really think an appeal will succeed? The Hawaii Supreme Court won't even consider it and he knows it, so the "appeal" is to his homophobic base and nothing more.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Jan 31, 2014 12:36:16 PM

8. Should hit a gym already....

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 31, 2014 12:52:35 PM

9. He looks very much like that anti-gay Russian bigot Vitaly Milonov.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 31, 2014 1:12:45 PM

10. The biggest homophobes are all queer. Self-loathing is a powerful force.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jan 31, 2014 2:56:25 PM

11. When I was 7, I remember my older sister giggling at what she was seeing on the news. I asked her to explain to me what it was about. She told me two men where suing the government for the right to marry. I asked her why they had to do that, and she laughingly told me "Christopher! Two men can't MARRY!"
    I recall I was very sad.
    We haven't talked much since I came out. She was disappointed with me.
    She lives in Hawaii now. I wonder how she feels about all of this...

Posted by: C.F. Girard | Feb 1, 2014 9:07:20 AM