Hugh Laurie | News | Russia

'House' Star Hugh Laurie Calls for Russian Vodka Boycott, Reconsiders After Fury

Laurie

House star Hugh Laurie called for a boycott of Russian vodka in a Twitter post Friday night, but retracted it the next morning, suggesting a different method of protest.

Laurie tweeted:

I'd boycott Russian goods if I could think of a single thing they made besides the rest of the world depressed...
Yes, alright, Russian vodka is ok if you need to clean the oven. For drinking, it must henceforth be Polish...

Laurie's remarks immediately went viral on Russian Twitter, AFP reports:

"I want to officially send Hugh Laurie to hell along with his opinion of our goods and his plans to boycott them," wrote popular blogger Ilya Varlamov.

"Hugh called for a boycott of all goods produced in Russia, in passing insulting one of the main brands of our country, Russian vodka," sports journalist Stepan Chaushyan wrote on the website of the Argumenty i Fakty mass-circulation weekly.

"Hugh forgot one thing: Russian money could very easily boycott him," he added, pointing out that Laurie has given several blues concerts in Russia.

"That's right, go ahead and boycott us, but you'll have to start with gas, not vodka," wrote one commentator, Savva Mirosh, on the website of state television channel NTV.

The blowback caused Laurie to rethink his suggestion, and he tweeted the next morning:

I retract. Instead, I urge good, kind Russians to stand up to the slab-faced goons who deal in this kind of poison.

Comments

1. Russians would do well boycotting Vodka themselves. Most of their demographic problems stem from a high morality rate caused in a large part by health issues from alcohol abuse.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 21, 2014 9:22:29 AM

2. Russians would do well boycotting Vodka themselves. Most of their demographic problems stem from a high morality rate caused in a large part by health issues from alcohol abuse.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 21, 2014 9:22:30 AM

3. Russians would do well boycotting Vodka themselves. Most of their demographic problems stem from a high morality rate caused in a large part by health issues from alcohol abuse.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 21, 2014 9:23:13 AM

4. Russia is a nation of alcoholics.

The average life expectancy for a Russian male is about 60 (compared to about 79 for the rest of Europe). This is directly attributable to alcoholism.

It really is an awful country.

Posted by: MaryM | Jan 21, 2014 9:32:08 AM

5. Anyone finding Mr. Laurie's testicles should kindly return them.

Posted by: Frank | Jan 21, 2014 9:41:25 AM

6. There's almost nothing worse than speaking out then having to backtrack like a coward. Would have been much better if he didn't even speak up at all. And I actually side with the reporter who called him out on his hypocrisy. He won't drink Russian vodka, but he can perform there for money.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 21, 2014 10:04:07 AM

7. All eight of the good, kind Russians still left in the god forsaken country are doing all they can but they're being drowned out by the hundreds of millions of racist, homophobic bigots.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 21, 2014 10:08:27 AM

8. I boycott anything Russian.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jan 21, 2014 10:29:13 AM

9. Russia is a terrible dark cold cruel place. At least Nigeria and Uganda are hot.

Posted by: danswon | Jan 21, 2014 10:29:38 AM

10. More Laurie Loser....

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 21, 2014 11:10:06 AM

11. I don't think he needed a retraction, but I like his addendum. The joke's on that sports journalist - Hugh Laurie already has more money than the journalist will earn in his lifetime. I've been doing my best to boycott Russian products such as vodka ever since the idea first started being floated on the internet - & that will include as much Olympics coverage as I can. We're a 'Nielson family' so our avoidance of any TV coverage will be noted where it matters.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 21, 2014 12:06:08 PM

12. What he should have said was buy local brands like Three Olives, a British vodka. Nobody would ever bad mouth someone for saying that sort of thing.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 21, 2014 12:12:51 PM

13. I used to admire him. This is why people are defeated by bullies.

Posted by: niles | Jan 21, 2014 1:35:31 PM

14. I used to admire him. This is why people are defeated by bullies.

Posted by: niles | Jan 21, 2014 1:35:32 PM

15. Or just switch to British gin. It's what a proper martini is made with anyway.

Posted by: emjayay | Jan 21, 2014 7:36:08 PM

16. He should have stuck with his original comment. Nothing he said was bad. I boycott ALL Russian products!

Posted by: Klien | Jan 21, 2014 7:47:41 PM