Gay Marriage | Mary Fallin | News | Oklahoma

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin 'Troubled' by Judge's Ruling Striking Down Gay Marriage Ban

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin released a statement regarding Judge Terence Kern's ruling striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

FallinSaid Fallin:

"In 2004, the people of Oklahoma voted to amend the state's constitution to define marriage as ‘the union of one man and one woman.’ That amendment passed with 75 percent support. The people of Oklahoma have spoken on this issue. I support the right of Oklahoma's voters to govern themselves on this and other policy matters. I am disappointed in the judge's ruling and troubled that the will of the people has once again been ignored by the federal government."

Comments

1. When will these idiots realize that if the "will" of the people held fast against fairness and inclusion, our schools would still be segregated, our black brothers and sisters wouldn't be voting, the governor of OK most likely wouldn't be holding the office and I could have never married my partner of 30 years. Jeez.....give me a brake Gov.!!

Posted by: Don | Jan 14, 2014 8:28:57 PM

2. Hahaha, the will of the people to be hateful bigots is of no value at all. Sorry, governor panderer.

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 14, 2014 8:29:08 PM

3. Is it really so shocking that the nation's first and only trans governor is extremely anti-gay?

Posted by: Derrick From Philly | Jan 14, 2014 8:36:23 PM

4. I guess the Gov isn't old enough to remember that many times "the will of the people" has been to discriminate against 'those other people' or 'people like that'.

The solution? "We're the majority. Let's vote on it. It's done."

Posted by: AdamTh | Jan 14, 2014 8:37:04 PM

5. So Mary Fallin believes that mob rule is always correct, not matter how monstrous their will is.

She could be a case study through the lenses of fascism theories. Despicable.

Posted by: owl | Jan 14, 2014 8:37:17 PM

6. Gov. George Wallace was also “troubled” by integration as he stood on the schoolhouse steps ...

Posted by: JCTSF | Jan 14, 2014 8:38:20 PM

7. You might recall.... This is the Gov that last summer was ready to stop processing ALL OK National Guard applications dealing with spousal benefits - just so they wouldn't have to process any applications for legally married same sex couples.

Posted by: AdamTh | Jan 14, 2014 8:41:14 PM

8. Derrick From Philly, I was surprised when she was exposed as a transsexual. But no it doesn't surprise me at all that she is an anti-gay bigot. Most transgenders are.

Posted by: Stu | Jan 14, 2014 8:41:45 PM

9. Hey Mattress Mary...when do I get to vote on your multiple marriages?

Posted by: Aggiecowboy | Jan 14, 2014 8:49:26 PM

10. I'm sure it's just coincidence, and there's almost certainly not any family relationship between the 2, but I find it very ironic the judge's name is KERN!.... Anyone remember a rabidly anti-gay state legislator named Sally Kern?

Posted by: AdamTh | Jan 14, 2014 8:51:50 PM

11. She should be troubled that the U.S. Constitution trumps whatever vote the idiot majority in her state took in 2004. It means that, like it or not, Oklahoma will be an equality state long before her ilk is ready for it, and history won't deal kindly with governors like her and Herbert.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 14, 2014 8:52:53 PM

12. So it IS true that while serving as Lt. Gov. in Oklahoma, Fallin had an affair with a state trooper who was a member of her security detail. This resulted in her divorce from her FIRST husband, and the state trooper resigning for misconduct.

And this is the kind of slag who's trying to deny legal recognition of LEGITIMATE LGBT marriages?

Posted by: Pot McKettle | Jan 14, 2014 8:59:51 PM

13. Gov. Mary if you're troubled by this, you should go back to basic Civics in Junior High, where WE were taught that all states constitutions and laws had to be in compliance with the US constitution. This judge is simply saying no matter what the people of OKLAHOMA voted, or how a legislature voted, this amendment/law is still against the US Constitution as it is currently defined. That's why it's termed UNconstitutional. That is part of the JUDICIAL branch to determine. LEGISLATURES makes the law, the EXECUTIVE carries out the law. The JUDUCIAL rules on the laws or how they are carried out, not just criminal cases and civil torts. YES MARY, That is part of CIVICS class in JUNIOR HIGH.

Posted by: steven | Jan 14, 2014 9:04:08 PM

14. This reminds me of "South Park" when Mrs. Garrison was against gay rights while being a (male to female) transexual. I wonder how much more overlap there might be.

Might Mary Fallin have had the desire to reinforce heteronormativity and heterosexism to such a degree as to become female? - Only to find herself rejected by the 'Mr. Slave' in her life because she was no longer male? Then takes out her bitterness on as many gays as she can?

Probably not but hey, you never know.

Posted by: buster | Jan 14, 2014 9:04:43 PM

15. Mary, 2004 is ten years ago. People change their minds. But even if people hadn't changed their minds, the rights of minorities are not up to the whims of the majority to decide.

Posted by: john patrick | Jan 14, 2014 9:15:07 PM

16. What's with the anti-trans comments that have been cropping up recently? They're absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: JEREMY | Jan 14, 2014 9:15:56 PM

17. Really, Fallin? How about my will? If I don't accept people with blue eyes or blonde hair, can we have a referendum to vote them out of the state? They were born that way as are LGBT persons. You CANNOT make a law ruling against someone's inherent biological characteristics. I've known I wanted to marry another man since I was about 7 because that's who I am. 65 years of my gay life is not yours to legislate against!

Posted by: DamSexy | Jan 14, 2014 9:23:31 PM

18. Oh, and it's not a f**king "policy" matter, it's a matter of simple human rights; the right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Posted by: DamSexy | Jan 14, 2014 9:25:29 PM

19. This woman has been 'troubled' long before the Court ruling, and it has nothing to do with same-sex marriage.

She is an ultra-conservative, religious fundamentalist who knows how to pander to the masses in her state.

Posted by: MiddleoftheRoader | Jan 14, 2014 9:29:32 PM

20. My career brought me to Oklahoma 20 years ago, and never have I enjoyed the anger and distress of my conservative fellow residents as much as I've enjoyed it today. Tomorrow also promises to be a good day. :)

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Jan 14, 2014 9:32:53 PM

21. Does she not realize that 100 years ago she would not have been able to vote for governor much less RUN for governor?

Like most conservatives they have ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH sense of history or science.

Posted by: Polar Beast | Jan 14, 2014 9:47:50 PM

22. She is troubled by equal rights, while I find mind numbing stupidity and bigotry unpleasant.

Posted by: Stephen Rider | Jan 14, 2014 9:53:05 PM

23. Justice Kern's ruling had quite a few memorable passages but this one is for Fallin

On Equality
    'Equal protection is at the very heart of our legal system and central to our consent to be governed. It is not a scarce commodity to be meted out begrudgingly or in short portions.'

You don't get to subjugate or disenfranchise a group of citizens because 'it's the will of the people.' You are a Governor today because a hundred years ago a band of suffragettes fought the will of the people to keep women subjugated.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 14, 2014 9:56:24 PM

24. "Woman is not our friend."
    Yours Sincerely
    Woman hater
    Rick

Posted by: Brian | Jan 14, 2014 10:18:02 PM

25. Awww, poor girl is having a bad big hair day.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 14, 2014 10:28:15 PM