Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin ‘Troubled’ by Judge’s Ruling Striking Down Gay Marriage Ban

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin released a statement regarding Judge Terence Kern's ruling striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

FallinSaid Fallin:

"In 2004, the people of Oklahoma voted to amend the state's constitution to define marriage as ‘the union of one man and one woman.’ That amendment passed with 75 percent support. The people of Oklahoma have spoken on this issue. I support the right of Oklahoma's voters to govern themselves on this and other policy matters. I am disappointed in the judge's ruling and troubled that the will of the people has once again been ignored by the federal government."

Comments

1. Don says

When will these idiots realize that if the “will” of the people held fast against fairness and inclusion, our schools would still be segregated, our black brothers and sisters wouldn’t be voting, the governor of OK most likely wouldn’t be holding the office and I could have never married my partner of 30 years. Jeez…..give me a brake Gov.!!

2. AdamTh says

I guess the Gov isn’t old enough to remember that many times “the will of the people” has been to discriminate against ‘those other people’ or ‘people like that’.

The solution? “We’re the majority. Let’s vote on it. It’s done.”

3. owl says

So Mary Fallin believes that mob rule is always correct, not matter how monstrous their will is.

She could be a case study through the lenses of fascism theories. Despicable.

4. AdamTh says

You might recall…. This is the Gov that last summer was ready to stop processing ALL OK National Guard applications dealing with spousal benefits – just so they wouldn’t have to process any applications for legally married same sex couples.

5. Stu says

Derrick From Philly, I was surprised when she was exposed as a transsexual. But no it doesn’t surprise me at all that she is an anti-gay bigot. Most transgenders are.

6. AdamTh says

I’m sure it’s just coincidence, and there’s almost certainly not any family relationship between the 2, but I find it very ironic the judge’s name is KERN!…. Anyone remember a rabidly anti-gay state legislator named Sally Kern?

7. says

She should be troubled that the U.S. Constitution trumps whatever vote the idiot majority in her state took in 2004. It means that, like it or not, Oklahoma will be an equality state long before her ilk is ready for it, and history won’t deal kindly with governors like her and Herbert.

8. Pot McKettle says

So it IS true that while serving as Lt. Gov. in Oklahoma, Fallin had an affair with a state trooper who was a member of her security detail. This resulted in her divorce from her FIRST husband, and the state trooper resigning for misconduct.

And this is the kind of slag who’s trying to deny legal recognition of LEGITIMATE LGBT marriages?

9. steven says

Gov. Mary if you’re troubled by this, you should go back to basic Civics in Junior High, where WE were taught that all states constitutions and laws had to be in compliance with the US constitution. This judge is simply saying no matter what the people of OKLAHOMA voted, or how a legislature voted, this amendment/law is still against the US Constitution as it is currently defined. That’s why it’s termed UNconstitutional. That is part of the JUDICIAL branch to determine. LEGISLATURES makes the law, the EXECUTIVE carries out the law. The JUDUCIAL rules on the laws or how they are carried out, not just criminal cases and civil torts. YES MARY, That is part of CIVICS class in JUNIOR HIGH.

10. buster says

This reminds me of “South Park” when Mrs. Garrison was against gay rights while being a (male to female) transexual. I wonder how much more overlap there might be.

Might Mary Fallin have had the desire to reinforce heteronormativity and heterosexism to such a degree as to become female? – Only to find herself rejected by the ‘Mr. Slave’ in her life because she was no longer male? Then takes out her bitterness on as many gays as she can?

Probably not but hey, you never know.

11. john patrick says

Mary, 2004 is ten years ago. People change their minds. But even if people hadn’t changed their minds, the rights of minorities are not up to the whims of the majority to decide.

12. DamSexy says

Really, Fallin? How about my will? If I don’t accept people with blue eyes or blonde hair, can we have a referendum to vote them out of the state? They were born that way as are LGBT persons. You CANNOT make a law ruling against someone’s inherent biological characteristics. I’ve known I wanted to marry another man since I was about 7 because that’s who I am. 65 years of my gay life is not yours to legislate against!

13. MiddleoftheRoader says

This woman has been ‘troubled’ long before the Court ruling, and it has nothing to do with same-sex marriage.

She is an ultra-conservative, religious fundamentalist who knows how to pander to the masses in her state.

14. Profe Sancho Panza says

My career brought me to Oklahoma 20 years ago, and never have I enjoyed the anger and distress of my conservative fellow residents as much as I’ve enjoyed it today. Tomorrow also promises to be a good day. :)

15. Polar Beast says

Does she not realize that 100 years ago she would not have been able to vote for governor much less RUN for governor?

Like most conservatives they have ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH sense of history or science.

16. says

Justice Kern’s ruling had quite a few memorable passages but this one is for Fallin

On Equality
    ‘Equal protection is at the very heart of our legal system and central to our consent to be governed. It is not a scarce commodity to be meted out begrudgingly or in short portions.’

You don’t get to subjugate or disenfranchise a group of citizens because ‘it’s the will of the people.’ You are a Governor today because a hundred years ago a band of suffragettes fought the will of the people to keep women subjugated.

17. *****overTX says

Mary Fallon and the Oklahoma legislature could not find the money to build storm shelters to protect Oklahoma school children. Any one want to place any bets that she and the legislature will be able to find the money to fight for the right to be able to discriminate against same sex couples, all the way from Oklahoma City to the Supreme Court of the United States?

18. gordon says

I am waiting for the first “states rights” racist to bring a lawsuit against bi-racial marriage. If I had the mega dollars I would do it just to cause an uproar ( hopefully ).

19. Nick says

Mary, you should be troubled that it was the will of your people to perform such a dehumanizing and unconstitutional act against their own neighbors.

You are unfit for any sort of leadership position and I am troubled by ongoing inability to understand the American principle of equality enshrined in our founding documents.

20. says

Maybe Gov. Fallin should read the opinion. The judge was quite clear that in America, the will of the majority must give way to the civil rights of the individual.

Oh, and she might want to read the 14th Amendment, as well.

21. Sera McCauley says

I just need to respond here, because I’m bashing my head off a wall at a few ridiculously idiotic comments.

Okay, I don’t agree with her sentiment at all. She’s a bloody crock.
    But ‘Most transexuals hate gays’? Are you just willfully ignorant?

Many of us are part of the LGB, and most momentum, notably Stonewall that the gays got were initially from trans peopple. Now we’re the ones left on the back of the bus and still open to insults and accused of being gay haters.

Sweetheart, check yourself at the door. Please.

Also, if you could get me a link to where you discovered this information of her being trans, I’d appreciate it.

I’d assume that she wouldn’t be holding office right now, given the discrimination that trans* people still face.

22. Rob says

She has a pretty stupid speech writer. Oh so the whipped up evangelicals are pissed that their bigotry can’t be codified into law. Oh right, it is Oklahoma…..stupid is as stupid does.

23. Chuck Mielke says

Once again: “inalienable rights” are NOT up for popular approval. “In alienable rights” cannot be denied on the basis of tradition or religious preference. I guess if this governor said that to the people of her state, she might worry about losing her position. Whatever happened to “speaking truth to power”?

24. Paul says

How did the bonehead AG’s of OK, UT, ID etc. ignore the 14th Amendment and allow these measures to be voted on in the first place? That’s what should be “troubling”