Arizona | Discrimination | News

BigGayDeal.com

Former Bush Advisor: Arizona Governor Will Veto Anti-Gay Bill

Arizona
Matthew Dowd, the chief strategist for the 2004 Bush-Cheney presidential campaign expressing his opinion about SB 1062 saying ABC's This Week that the bill is too grounded in religion and that Governor Jan Brewer will veto it mainly due to the possible economic damage it could cause the state.

“I think, in the end, Gov. Brewer is probably going to veto this because it seems like an easy veto for her to do because of everything that’s going in the business economy there. This is one of those problems when people use religion as a way to sort of enforce discriminatory practices. People used religion back in the 1860s when they defended slavery. They used religion to defend slavery. We’ve used religion to go to war. People have criticized Islam because they use religion to fight people and kill people. This is the problem with that. In the end I think she vetoes it because there's no way this can survive.

Watch the clip, via of The Raw Story, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. It's sad when opposition to discrimination comes down to money.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 23, 2014 3:30:31 PM

2. @Steve, exactly what I was thinking. She won't veto it because it's the right thing to do, but because of the economics behind it. If God does exist, he has to be disappointed in this world....or it's not a God worth believing in...

Posted by: sam | Feb 23, 2014 3:43:56 PM

3. If you go to Governor Brewers' website you can use the Contact Us feature to send an e-mails directly to Governor Brewer urging her to veto this bill. This is especially important if you are a citizen of the state of Arizona.

Just go to:

There are, also, phone numbers there though the mailboxes are now full, and there is a FAX number, as well.

You can, also, just look up Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on the web to go to her website.

Posted by: RonCharles | Feb 23, 2014 4:16:35 PM

4. So he actually doesn't know a damn thing and is just speculating.

Has he even met Jan Brewer? She ain't exactly known for good sense and fairness.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 23, 2014 4:17:40 PM

5. Politics is about money and deal making. Right now Jan Brewer is getting an earful from the Republican business oligarchs who really rule Arizona: veto this crap bill because we won't accept boycotts and lost business on account of Tea Bagger loonies. Arizona went through boycotts back in the days when another Republican governor waged a wacky war against Martin Luther King Day. He got impeached and run out of office and Arizona got Martin Luther King Day. Jan Brewer knows who butters her bread. A veto is on the way.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 23, 2014 4:25:20 PM

6. I am loving how even THEY can't get their heads around their own beliefs.

Posted by: Tigernan | Feb 23, 2014 4:28:19 PM

7. Don't expect logic from Jan Brewer. I fear the worst. Then again, if she has an ounce of sense, she should fear the repercussions.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Feb 23, 2014 4:29:16 PM

8. I don't really care why she vetoes it, just so she vetoes it. If a sense of decency gets her to veto it - great. If economic reality gets her to do it - that is just fine in my book.

Posted by: john patrick | Feb 23, 2014 4:29:46 PM

9. If there's a veto it will be based solely on bidness. She's still a stupid, nasty crunt. Always has been - always will be.

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 23, 2014 4:45:06 PM

10. I hope she signs it!

Let the shizstorm begin!!!

At least it will be over and we'll never have to do it again, and in the process of defending the indefensible they will end up looking as absolutely f'n ridiculous AS THEY ARE!!! lol

Here, Jan... Ya wanna borrow my pen? :)

Posted by: pete n sfo | Feb 23, 2014 5:13:47 PM

11. She vetoed a similar bill before and it came down to economics and opposing obamacare so he may be basing it off that.

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 23, 2014 5:15:51 PM

12. I am no fan of Jan Brewer so I will be shocked and surprised if she does veto this.......

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 23, 2014 5:19:45 PM

13. Just remember, Governor Brewer belongs to the LCMS which teaches that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and was created in six 24-hour days.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 23, 2014 5:25:32 PM

14. it's not over till the fat lady sings (er, signs?)

Posted by: jed | Feb 23, 2014 5:32:54 PM

15. She's not up for re-election in the coming November 2014 election, because of term limits. I'm not sure if that could help, hinder, or not play any role. But does she really want this to hate-bill to be her legacy? As I recall, she already lost 3 out 4 of the provisions in the controversial anti-immigration Arizona law that she signed back in 2010.

Posted by: Lexis | Feb 23, 2014 5:50:25 PM

16. She's the Sarah Palin of the south--trailer trash, amoral and sociopathic. I'll bet she'll veto it only because of what's already been said above. The old boys in power need the money and prestige and are getting tired of their little monkeys not turning out to be as fun as they thought they were.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 23, 2014 6:20:11 PM

17. As the owner of a small business myself...would it be lawful to refuse my services to someone who described themselves as "a good christian woman"...informing her that her "christian values" were contrary to my religious convictions? I've heard that "good christian woman" thing many times...it always makes me wince.

Posted by: Paul B. | Feb 23, 2014 6:41:01 PM

18. As the owner of a small business myself...would it be lawful to refuse my services to someone who described themselves as "a good christian woman"...informing her that her "christian values" were contrary to my religious convictions? I've heard that "good christian woman" thing many times...it always makes me wince.

Posted by: Paul B. | Feb 23, 2014 6:41:01 PM

19. A part of me is hoping that this vile woman actually signs this, it will start a sh*tstorm of litigation and be a complete embarrassment to the government of Arizona and the stupid people that keep vote for them. Arizona needs to learn a painful lesson for all their stupid laws.

Posted by: ny2.0 | Feb 23, 2014 7:33:19 PM

20. The haters will just move to Manitoba, Canada then...a lot of them already have...

Posted by: styler | Feb 23, 2014 8:03:46 PM

21. Ignorance, pure and simple. The people in favour of this bill are the kinds of people who still think being gay is a choice. That it's a lifestyle. That it's something to be managed or corrected like alcoholism.

I'd like to be able to refuse people service based on ignorance and stupidity, I'm sick of them ramming THEIR choices and THEIR lifestyle choices down our throats. They're ruining America and are a threat to my family values.

Posted by: tristram | Feb 23, 2014 8:35:48 PM

22. @Lexis : if she is going to be out of office due to term limits, she may want some other position and to get that, she is going to have to play nice with those at the top of the Republican party. They might be starting to realize that gay bashing is going to cost them more votes than it brings in, and simply told her to find an excuse to squash it.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 23, 2014 9:13:02 PM

23. As many of you pointed out, if she signs this, a sh*tstorm of lawsuits and negative attention to Arizona and Republicans will ensue. We are in the process of electing a new Governor this year, her party will realize this will do more harm than help. She will veto it. But the damage may have already been done.

Posted by: Owens | Feb 23, 2014 10:27:31 PM

24. And this "enlightenment" from a man whose boss wanted to enshrine bigotry in the federal constitution?!

Posted by: Chuck Muckle | Feb 23, 2014 11:18:51 PM

25. Whoa, hoss, since when has anyone attached to the Bush regime had an iota of cred? Campaign manager = an architect of the theft of the 2004 election, one of a multitude of offenses that should have landed the lot of them in Levenworth. Get real already!

Posted by: Onnyjay | Feb 24, 2014 9:19:05 AM