Gay Marriage | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mitt Romney on 'Meet the Press': It's 'Fine' if Gay Couples Want to Live Together, But Not Marry — VIDEO

Gregory_romney

In a conversation with David Gregory on Meet the Press this morning, Mitt Romney was asked about the changing marriage landscape in the U.S. and if his views had changed.

Said Romney (my transcript)

"Well I think marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman. And I think the ideal setting for raising a child is in a setting where there is a father and a mother. Now there are many other different settings that children are raised in and people have the right to live life as they want to. But I think that marriage should be defined in the way that it has been defined for several thousand years. And if gay couples want to live together then that's fine as well. That's their right."

Asked if he thinks it's going to have a negative impact on society that so many states are starting to allow gay marriage, Romney added:

"Oh I think it's going to take a long, long time to determine whether having gay marriage will make it less likely for kids to be raised in settings where there's a mom and a dad. That's not gonna happen overnight. It's something which happens over generations in fact and again, I think the ideal setting is where there's a mom and dad that can invest their time and their resources in supporting the development of a child."

Asked if he thinks Republicans are losing on the marriage issue, Romney said:

"I don't think you have to worry about who wins or who loses a particular fight. I think you stand for various principles. You communicate those to the American people and they either support those or not. Sometimes, if something is lost why then you move on to the next issue. You wish you'd have won that one. But you move on. I think that in this case it's an issue that people continue to find relevant and important and it's something that is being considered in various states around the country. I do believe that it's better decided by people than by the courts."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I believe Mormons shouldn't be allowed to practice their silly religion in public or in front of impressionable children. If I can get enough of "the people" to agree with me can I oppress you too, Mitt?

Posted by: crashops | Feb 16, 2014 11:35:34 AM

2. Just happened upon Romnot on NBC this morning and cringed. Skin crawled. Who gives a frack what he thinks? I certainly don't. Ugh!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Feb 16, 2014 11:35:42 AM

3. mitt seems to forget his grandfather and great grandfather fled this country because they didn't exactly believe in one woman one man and half the women were nothing more than children

Posted by: walter | Feb 16, 2014 11:36:48 AM

4. Two douchebags having a conversation, both totally out of touch with reality. At least we only have one of them on TV on a weekly basis.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Feb 16, 2014 11:37:30 AM

5. well Romney stands for a political party that remains behind in the times, full of hate and remorse that there is any sort of progress or opportunity for anyone to be happy or get ahead...marrying someone and protecting yourself and your partner are as natural as it gets...who wouldn't want to protect their significant other....he should talk to older couples when one partner is sick or dying and see how lives are destroyed because of ridiculous outdated laws he clings to

Posted by: Chris | Feb 16, 2014 11:40:42 AM

6. People like Romney who killed a man in Europe - and whose whole family since the Mexico days is based on getting out of military service should not be allowed to marry.

Posted by: robertL | Feb 16, 2014 11:41:03 AM

7. And it is just 'fine' that he wasn't elected our President. He is a nobody today. His opinion means squat.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Feb 16, 2014 11:42:36 AM

8. It's amazing that he thinks that people are asking for or need his permission or blessings to get married.

Posted by: Cadence | Feb 16, 2014 11:45:19 AM

9. I'm really happy that I can live with another man, gay or straight. I mean, sure that happened in college and afterward, but I guess it wasn't formally approved by such a Big Thinker back then. But now it's my right!

He has a HUGE future in public speaking. Talk about correct and concise!

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 16, 2014 11:48:00 AM

10. What's with these loser Republicans like Romney and McCain who keep appearing on the Sunday talking head shows to pontificate about how bad the winners are, and why they are so right about everything if only they had been elected....

Mitt is a real loser. I would love to know if he would even be alive had his ancestors not practiced polygamy. I think some of these Mormon leaders are trying as hard as possible to disown their polygamous past and to show that they are in line with the one man/one woman positions they were forced to take for Utah to become a state.

Posted by: john patrick | Feb 16, 2014 11:56:00 AM

11. This from a man who belongs to a religion that for generations promoted polygamy.

Mitt you LOST the election for a reason. Now just go away.

Posted by: Kieran | Feb 16, 2014 11:59:47 AM

12. Willard and his cult are in no position to weigh-in on human rights in a meaningful manner. You are irrelevant Mittens - go back to LaJolla and count your millions but don't forget to tithe to the LDS.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 16, 2014 12:05:17 PM

13. The Republicans still do not have a clear front runner for the 2016 POTUS election and I'm hearing news reports that some in the GOP
    are courting Romney to go at it for the 3rd time.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 16, 2014 12:05:22 PM

14. Firstly I must say, David Gregory is the picture of amateur journalism. I can't stomach watching Meet the Press anymore because of him. He's weak!

Given how polygamous Romney's own family tree is, what gives this presidential loser the right to say who gets married?

Posted by: ny2.0 | Feb 16, 2014 12:09:30 PM

15. Hey Mitt, it's fine if you want to run for president. You just can't be president.

Posted by: cooley | Feb 16, 2014 12:13:06 PM

16. In a free country, and yes this is supposed to be a country of freedom, that is only his opinion and choice for himself, not for everyone else

Posted by: StevyD | Feb 16, 2014 12:16:50 PM

17. I don't know which is worse, listening to that pious slime-on-a-stick bigot or listening to the other MTP slime-on-a-stick bigot who shares the exact same beliefs. Its just more Republican filth either way you look at it.

Posted by: DavidAz | Feb 16, 2014 12:19:04 PM

18. "I do believe that it's better decided by people than by the courts."

Well, he's wrong.

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 16, 2014 12:21:16 PM

19. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3774519552/tt0310357?ref_=tt_ov_i

Posted by: David | Feb 16, 2014 12:25:03 PM

20. Wrong video?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 16, 2014 12:25:39 PM

21. Speaking of moving on, Mitt. You lost. It's over. Your thoughts on marriage or anything else are meaningless.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 16, 2014 12:31:58 PM

22. Why does he keep appearing on T.V.? Is he going to be on "Dancing With The Stars" next? What a media whore.

Posted by: Sergio | Feb 16, 2014 12:32:23 PM

23. The trial judge in the Loving v. Virginia case, Leon M. Bazile, wrote: "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix." RMoney's message of gay intolerance is no different from Bazile's message of racial intolerance. They both use the Bible, and their beliefs, to discriminate against a minority. It was wrong then, and it's wrong now.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 16, 2014 12:33:06 PM

24. This coming from someone who belongs to a polygamy cult. Whose grandfather fled to Mexico, because they officially gave up polygamy in return for being allowed to establish their own little theocracy in Utah.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 16, 2014 12:40:50 PM

25. Is there some reason why this has-been is being given so much airtime lately?

Posted by: jim | Feb 16, 2014 12:41:47 PM