California | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | News | Proposition 8 | Tech

Newly-Appointed Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich Donated To Prop 8 Campaign

On Monday, Brendan Eich (right) became CEO of Mozilla, the software community responsible for developing Firefox, the popular web browser. Formerly the multi-tiered group's chief technology officer, Eich was an understandable but not altogether popular choice for the appointment. One reason some are not pleased? He donated funds in support of California's Proposition 8.

BrendaneichDevelopers Hampton Catlin and his husband Michael have decided to boycott the Mozilla community entirely.

Beta News reports:

"Today we were shocked to read that Brendan Eich has been appointed Mozilla CEO. As a gay couple who were unable to get married in California until recently, we morally cannot support a Foundation that would not only leave someone with hateful views in power, but will give them a promotion and put them in charge of the entire organization", says Hampton Catlin.

Catlin further explains, "I certainly recognize that there are great people at Mozilla. And that lots of people there want the org to be open and supportive. However, the board could have chosen ANY of those other, awesome people at Mozilla to be CEO. Hey, I've got a crazy idea, how about a woman at Mozilla? Nope. Out of all the possible candidates they could have chosen, they chose Brendan Eich. CEO's are extremely important to an organization. Their ideas, beliefs, philosophies, and personalities drive organizations".

Catlin wrote an open letter to Mozilla as well, explaining the boycott and urging the community to remove Eich from his position.

Statistics reported by Beta News, sourced from the California Secretary of State's office, show that Eich gave $1,000 to support Prop 8.

Prop8_eich

Comments

1. Wow, we need to hammer Mozilla (and Firefox) hard over this. Use Chrome or some other engine until he steps down.

Posted by: Sergio | Mar 25, 2014 11:48:03 AM

2. Do people still use Firefox?

It's a huge resource hog.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 25, 2014 11:54:18 AM

3. You mean browser, search engines are different.

Yeah, use Chrome if you can. Or if you insist on something open-source, use Chromium, it's the open source version of Chrome. It's windows, mac, and linux.

Yet another reason Firefox is nearly irrelevant.

Posted by: Brandon h | Mar 25, 2014 11:55:14 AM

4. They can move their business to Uganda...

Posted by: litper | Mar 25, 2014 11:59:43 AM

5. Time to uninstall Firefox which I have not been using that much anyway.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 25, 2014 12:06:13 PM

6. I tried using Firefox, but it really screws up my computer. Probably 'cause Firefox knows it's a gay computer, obviously.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Mar 25, 2014 12:06:17 PM

7. This tool is a real piece of work:

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 25, 2014 12:08:41 PM

8. I'm using Firefox and won't uninstall it, but Mozilla and Eich need to comment on this.

Posted by: Eugene | Mar 25, 2014 12:11:39 PM

9. I think true healing can only come when we move on from past injustices. We won. Marriage equality is now a fact in California. Let the man live his life and we can live ours.

Posted by: Tophier Verdugo | Mar 25, 2014 12:14:07 PM

10. Brendan has some explaining to do here. But he gave us javascript and his contributions to the tech community are significant. At the very least we should afford him the opportunity to make amends, no one is perfect.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 25, 2014 12:17:05 PM

11. Oh please, spare us your feigns of indignation. This is the non-issue of all non-issues.

Come back with a real story if/when Mozilla turns evil or this guy tries to sell us chicken sandwiches.

Posted by: John | Mar 25, 2014 12:17:27 PM

12. @CRISPY are you kidding? Chrome is the resource hog. Try opening as meany tabs as you can with both browsers and see which crashes your computer first. Not to mention that Chrome is made by an advertising company, not precisely the kind of entity you would expect to protect your privacy online.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 25, 2014 12:20:42 PM

13. Eh Mozilla blows and this is not a non-issue. Supporting bigotry is as indecent as one could be.

Posted by: Anthony | Mar 25, 2014 12:21:01 PM

14. I deleted Firefox from my computer a long time ago. Thunderbird got all screwed up some time ago and I lost the ability to send messages through it. This article gives me the push I need to extricate my email from the system entirely.

Posted by: john patrick | Mar 25, 2014 12:21:32 PM

15. I love my Safari

Posted by: Dave P | Mar 25, 2014 12:29:31 PM

16. I used Firefox a long time ago, but eventually deleted it. Now that I have a MAC, I use Safari. Google Chrome would be my second choice.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 25, 2014 12:34:05 PM

17. @JAY: Firefox's memory suck is widely documented. If you're not aware of it, I can only assume you don't work in the IT industry.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 25, 2014 12:36:07 PM

18. We have bigger battles to fight than one stupid man's ancient $1K donation to an anti gay initiative. Let's stay focused on what truly matters... this just isn't worth the bullet.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Mar 25, 2014 12:58:02 PM

19. He's a closeted gay man. Just look at that face

Posted by: bryce | Mar 25, 2014 12:58:24 PM

20. "Oh please, spare us your feigns of indignation."

Is it a surprise that a man who holds such an idiotic view would also be inept with the English language?

Posted by: Håkon | Mar 25, 2014 12:59:11 PM

21. I'll hold off on uninstalling Firefox, but Mozilla needs to respond.

They have the right to appoint as their CEO any one they like, but at the same time, I don't have to affirm that decision. I'll wait for their response.

Posted by: John | Mar 25, 2014 1:00:49 PM

22. I looks like a Mormon.

Posted by: qj201 | Mar 25, 2014 1:01:46 PM

23. I hate the proposition that this is a non-issue because we have bigger fish to fry. I have room to hate on Firefox for hiring a bigot CEO and room for a whole 'lot more. Let's not feign scarcity of outrage, resistance, and response. We should be strategic about how we create change, but don't act like a small antagonism towards Firefox means we can't also handle resisting employment discrimination, anti-gay violence, internal movement challenges, or any other vital issues.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Mar 25, 2014 1:02:14 PM

24. wow. they just lost a lot of users and did some pretty substantial damage to their public image.

Posted by: woody | Mar 25, 2014 1:08:31 PM

25. He's straight? I'm saying nothing.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 25, 2014 1:14:20 PM