News | Television

'How I Met Your Dad' To Feature Two Gay Characters: VIDEO

Andrew_santinoFor nine seasons, the romantic sitcom How I Met Your Mother featured openly gay actor Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight womanizer and only one recurring gay character — a gay black dude played by straight actor Wayne Brady.

But the show’s spinoff How I Met Your Dad is apparently looking to change that trend. In February the show announced that actor Drew Tarver will play the female lead’s gay best friend. And apparently that gay best friend will also be married to the female lead’s brother, a role that will be played by hunky bearded ginger Andrew Santino. The series is set to premiere in the fall.

Santino is a comedian who currently plays on the ABC series Mixology but has also appeared in Netflix’s Arrested Development and NBC’s The Office. You can see a video of him doing a comedy routine on his father's prejudice against gay Californians after the jump.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Judging by this tape, he's not that hunky or that funny.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 18, 2014 9:43:55 PM

2. I like the direction of "How I Met Your Dad" but as a long-time fan of HIMYM, I don't want an entirely new set of characters. I think the producers should tell the mom's (Cristin Milioti) back story leading up to her meeting Ted and the gang. That would give them an established audience and the chance for a great eventual payoff w/ cameos from the stellar HIMYM cast.

Posted by: BuckeyeWxGuy | Mar 18, 2014 10:24:51 PM

3. So, are either of the actors playing a gay character actually gay?? Yes, it does matter.

Nice that the show is going to feature gay characters but if neither of the actors is really gay, it's kind of insulting to all the gay actors out there.

Posted by: Tempest | Mar 18, 2014 10:51:42 PM

4. I like the premise but it comes down to the writing and the acting. I give it two seasons.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 18, 2014 11:11:44 PM

5. Him Using f###### word even as a joke males Him a lesa atractive human being. Never mind his actual looks, i don't Know if i could find him a relatable charming character, period. Like I want to cheer him, but I can't; the throw up from hear him repeat that word is still I'm my mouth, sorry.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Mar 19, 2014 12:11:31 AM

6. Dang autocorrect. Not a fan of iOS 7. Ru kidding me apple?!!

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Mar 19, 2014 12:12:20 AM

7. I know it's a comedy routine, and yes, he's acting out how his "father" acts, but isn't the "California is a bunch of homos" routine pretty outdated? Also, even if he's, again, "mimicking" his father, he's still drawing laughs from the words faggot and homo. Is that really necessary? Haven't we moved past that yet? Or is this video from 1981? I'm not quite sure why he's being celebrated here on Towleroad, unless it's with some sort of irony (that I'm not getting).
    Maybe playing a gay character on TV will help him to become a little more sensitive to the cause?

Posted by: rob | Mar 19, 2014 12:19:11 AM

8. Rob: that's going to be a trope until the Midwest falls into a spontaneous, continent-spanning crevasse. There are still MANY people between the coasts who still think like that. Or haven't you been outside in a few years?

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 19, 2014 2:01:15 AM

9. I think it's somewhat important to remember that he's performing on the Sunset Strip in a comedy club - what comes across funny there doesn't always translate to YouTube...or the context of being embedded in a gay news blog. either way - most comedy clubs are similar to frathouses - as is the humor.

Posted by: steve | Mar 19, 2014 2:01:51 AM

10. One if the actors us gay in real life

Posted by: Factoid | Mar 19, 2014 2:32:40 AM

11. There are a lot of people who need to take the poles out of their uptight asses.

Posted by: Perry | Mar 19, 2014 10:30:03 AM

12. Jerry, stop generalizing the midwest. A lot of it was progressive, on many issues, way before us bunch of California homos. As for going outside, maybe your ignorant ass needs a remedial trip through Contra Costa County.

Posted by: John | Mar 19, 2014 10:49:10 AM

13. All the straights who cling to the sunset strip and flaunt their hetero privilege (with constant hetero PDA there despite virtually no gay PDA) and make too-applauded gay jokes ARE NOT exemplars of good straight people.

I'm sorry, I'd prefer the more down-to-earth, gay-respectful heteros--like the unglamorous but good folks who put up the God Made Gays sign in middle-America Toledo, OH (see buzzfeed).

Hollywood straights still treat gay people too much like a minstrel show. Yuck.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Mar 19, 2014 11:21:13 AM

14. @Tempest Your logic is flawed. NPH is gay, but played a straight role for 9 years. Was that an insult to straight actors?

Posted by: Edd | Mar 19, 2014 2:07:16 PM

15. @EDD lmao really? you shouldn't have to think that long to figure out the difference between those two scenarios and realize you're the one who has actually proposed a logical fallacy

Posted by: JMC | Mar 19, 2014 4:55:33 PM

16. This is why I like the internet. For every type there are a bunch of people looking for that and a bunch of people not.

I don't know of many places this guy would be considered hunky, and his hair color looks unnatural and fake. Maybe he looks different when seen on TV in action.

Posted by: Steve Talbert | Mar 19, 2014 6:17:40 PM

17. Not funny. Not sect.

Posted by: Clayton | Mar 19, 2014 8:41:32 PM

18. Interesting since Santino's character on Mixology has made a few gay jokes (that were in poor taste).

Posted by: JH | Mar 25, 2014 2:09:48 PM