Couples | Johnny Weir | News

Johnny Weir Splits with Husband Victor Voronov

Weir_voronov

Johnny Weir has split with his husband Victor Voronov, he announced via Twitter:

"It is with great sadness that I announce that my husband and I are no longer together. My heart hurts, and I wish him well...No matter what, I am a cheerleader of love and partnership and creation. I am sad yet I am thankful that I was loved and that I could love."

In early March, Weir and Voronov appeared in a New Jersey court to clear up domestic violence charges after Voronov filed a police report in which he alleged the three-time U.S. national figure skating champion had bitten him.

Comments

1. He is truly the George Michael of his time.

Posted by: Rad | Mar 20, 2014 8:09:10 AM

2. It's too late for anyone to care.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 20, 2014 8:14:34 AM

3. These two children don't have what it takes to make a lifelong commitment to each other. They should go back to playing doctor.

Posted by: Chris L. | Mar 20, 2014 8:18:13 AM

4. Maybe this is a great time for Johnny to talk about domestic violence in same sex relationships--how it impacts them, how it's not talked about, and how people can seek help?

Posted by: Jason Evan Mihalko, Psy.D. | Mar 20, 2014 8:27:53 AM

5. such a sad commentary on the state of our affairs - that people feel the need to make such announcement on social media. I mean, really why announce it? Just split quietly and go away.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 20, 2014 8:28:03 AM

6. Voronov was nothing more than one more Fabrage egg to feed Johnny's Russia(n) fetish. And Voronov is a fame whore that was willing to be Johnny's Russian trophy in exchange for fame. They deserved each other.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 20, 2014 8:28:06 AM

7. @Chris L, they are both adults. At which age do you think people should be allowed to be married or make a commitment? You're just as bad as those freaks in NOM who think that it's up to you to give some kind of permission.

Posted by: Oy Vey | Mar 20, 2014 8:35:22 AM

8. Via Twitter? How every dignified.

There are some things about Mr Weir and his generation that I do not understand and am repelled by. This is a great example. From virtually everything in the press about him in the last couple of year, I hope no one considers him a role model for anything, either personally or professionally. Perhaps like Mr Bieber, this is someone to whom "success" and "recognition" came far too early for him to be able to handle it.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 20, 2014 8:38:39 AM

9. Just another example of Weir's not ready for adulthood personna.

Self-absorbed, self-important, spoiled child as exhibited by his actions toward the GLBT persecution in Russia and at the Olympics.

Posted by: Continuum | Mar 20, 2014 8:50:06 AM

10. Sounds about right Tampazeke

Posted by: Freddie | Mar 20, 2014 8:53:19 AM

11. I wonder if Voronov got paid off to drop the assault charge with promises of a profitable divorce or if Weir tricked him into dropping it with promises of a reconciliation?

Regardless, this is the least surprising announcement of this century.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Mar 20, 2014 9:14:53 AM

12. I mean, no one should be happy when a couple splits up if you don't know all the circumstances.

Posted by: reality | Mar 20, 2014 9:43:09 AM

13. ...to the surprise of no one anywhere.

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 20, 2014 9:46:53 AM

14. Why do you waste our time on this trans freak?

Posted by: litper | Mar 20, 2014 10:05:53 AM

15. Well, we all make mistakes, dammit.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 20, 2014 10:15:42 AM

16. Why do you let Litper post comments?

Posted by: BlahBlahBlah | Mar 20, 2014 10:46:17 AM

17. Please, Google, make Johnny Weir disappear from the interwebs and the teevees. Amen.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 20, 2014 11:08:27 AM

18. At least Voronov will have the bite mark scars as a keepsake.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 20, 2014 11:12:47 AM

19. Anyone else think Johnny looks like Jaye Davidson...he's got that RA RA stare LOL

Posted by: Johnny | Mar 20, 2014 11:19:31 AM

20. Didn't taste good?

Posted by: perry | Mar 20, 2014 11:27:28 AM

21. Weir is a manchild like most gay men.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 20, 2014 11:45:32 AM

22. Not to suggest that two particular people had something to do with their breakup (I've always found Johnny Weir more than a little weird) but I think there marriage raises a more general question.

With all the attention on the fight for same-sex marriage, and all the celebrations of the various victories in that fight, are many same-sex couples rushing into marriage before they are ready, and before they would have done had they been a straight couple? Straight couples never have had to think about whether they have the right to marry, so they need not rush into marriage. (Although plenty of them do, particularly in the more traditional South, where people on average both marry at young ages and get divorced or separated.)

I wonder with all the excitement about increasing numbers of us being able to marry, if too many couples wanting to be a part of the excitement rush into marriage before they are ready? And I wonder if all the energy given to and all the attention paid to the fight for marriage equality is making many buy into the traditional norm that marriage is an ideal, a be all and end all of possible ways of living and the most important thing to make your life fulfilled? I'm not against marriage (I recently married my man of 23 years), but I think the quality of one's relationships with others is more important -- whether it is in marriage or not. But hey, I'm a baby boomer who grew up with the sexual revolution, Stonewall and the emergence of gay activism, so maybe my views are just old-fashioned.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 20, 2014 12:00:05 PM

23. YES!!! VORONOV IS MINE!!

Posted by: Andy | Mar 20, 2014 12:08:00 PM

24. @MICHAELJ, Not "old-fashioned" right on target!

Posted by: WTF21 | Mar 20, 2014 12:12:44 PM

25. Yet another example of why people should not rush into getting married. But straight people haven't learned that lesson yet either.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Mar 20, 2014 12:14:45 PM