Earthquake | Los Angeles | News

KTLA Anchors Dive Under Desk During Today's L.A. Earthquake: VIDEO

Ktla

Los Angeles was hit by a 4.4 magnitude earthquake this morning at approximately 6:25 am PT. It struck near Westwood, and was caught on camera during the KTLA newscast as the anchors leapt under their desk.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Meh, 4.4 is but a rumble. I worked at a place that was 3 miles from the epicenter of the 6.7 Northridge quake, that was bad news.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Mar 17, 2014 10:19:37 AM

2. Geez, you'd think he'd at least help his co-worker under the desk first...

Posted by: Michael W. | Mar 17, 2014 10:21:21 AM

3. Before people start making fun of them, keep in mind that they probably have hundreds of pounds of lighting equipment hanging loosely over their heads.

Posted by: dave | Mar 17, 2014 10:22:31 AM

4. I'm looking at the set made of glass and plywood and thinking of the line from Mel Brook's "History of the World"; "We're fighting with CARDBOARD!".

I don't think that anchor desk is gonna give them much protection if the big one hits.

Posted by: Rad | Mar 17, 2014 10:26:30 AM

5. They did the right thing. Woke us up here in Pasadena.

Posted by: Jim | Mar 17, 2014 10:27:53 AM

6. Well, this is what you are supposed to do during an earthquake.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Mar 17, 2014 10:33:23 AM

7. Some of you make it sound like they knew it was only going to be a 4.4 at the time. Geez... they did the right thing.

Posted by: SDAndy | Mar 17, 2014 10:38:03 AM

8. Damnit Obama!!
    :D

Hope everyone is safe and okay out there in the LA area!
    Can't help but feel a bit of panick when I hear about local earthquakes; wondering is this it, is the foretold big one on its way? Also, reading the latest Dan Brown, which is not helping. Even though the book is not that great, unfortunately. Everyone stay safe!

Posted by: Mags | Mar 17, 2014 10:43:12 AM

9. I second Dave. If you've ever been in a studio, you'd understand why they made a b-line under the desk. The lighting equipment and other rigging gear above a TV studio set weighs quite a bit, not to mention the amount of glass that can shatter and pose an additional danger.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 17, 2014 10:47:12 AM

10. Her reaction was typical newscaster... nothing stops the show. His was more correct and sensible. Take cover!

Posted by: BobN | Mar 17, 2014 10:57:29 AM

11. Wussies! I lived in SoCal until my early 20's and never dove under furniture for such a tiny jolt...

Also, NONE of that lighting / other rigging is "loosely" connected to their ceiling. OSHA (and who knows what other California) requirements prevent that stuff from falling unless the roof comes down with it. The stuff is clamped tightly onto railings, and as a backup, they have braided steel safety cables that are *also* attached to the rails... They're in far more danger of set pieces being launched across the room than they are of stuff falling from the ceiling.

Posted by: MikeKV | Mar 17, 2014 11:03:40 AM

12. It's kind've humorous, but he did the right thing, as opposed to me who just sat staring ahead at my desk.

There is the other anchor in LA by the name Kent Shocknek who dove under his desk on-air during an earthquake. His nickname became Kent Aftershocknek.

Posted by: the other Ken | Mar 17, 2014 11:05:16 AM

13. Michael W, what a weird, sexist comment. Also, how does one "help" someone else duck under a desk? It's very much a solitary pursuit.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 17, 2014 11:07:17 AM

14. I'm in Pasadena and I didn't feel a thing.

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 17, 2014 11:07:53 AM

15. I would have done the same thing myself. Glad it wasn't serious and no one got hurt.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Mar 17, 2014 11:44:21 AM

16. Scaredy cats.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Mar 17, 2014 11:44:37 AM

17. Ryan, my comment wasn't sexist. It was about courtesy to someone with a more petite build. He dove under that desk with no regard to his co-anchor. He could have helped her by letting her go first. It was a jackass move. Sorry that you see it as "weird and sexist".

Posted by: Michael W. | Mar 17, 2014 11:52:22 AM

18. @The Other Ken, Lol! I heard of him, I believe someone in my office watches that station and even though Kent seemed goodnatured about the earned nickname, he apparently was not that happy that it still comes out whenever being teased.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 17, 2014 12:06:49 PM

19. It was completely weird and sexist. An adult woman doesn't need help crawling under a desk, nor would one person need to "go first", as they desk was plenty large enough for two people to crawl under at the same time. Her "petite build" is wholly irrelevant and a pretty transparent dodge.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 17, 2014 12:07:10 PM

20. KTLA's studios are like 10 or so miles away from the epicenter.
    I'm across town from the epicenter right now, but even so, it was hard enough to have me check for the slightly slow reports of the earthquake.

I don't ever remember in all of the instructions about earthquake protocol to help others, at least during the earthquake proper. You're supposed to get yourself to a safe place first and protect your head and neck.

Posted by: DK | Mar 17, 2014 12:11:07 PM

21. I'm with @Ryan 100%.

@Mikekv, it would be a rare anchor who knows anything about the studio equipment other than how to make the chair taller.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 17, 2014 12:25:13 PM

22. Ryan: Okay, whatever.

Posted by: Michael W. | Mar 17, 2014 12:34:05 PM

23. Those 2 are definitely not friends.

Posted by: Felix | Mar 17, 2014 12:48:31 PM

24. @MIKEKV - it wasn't a "tiny jolt". It was a fast, hard, violent shaking that was growing stronger until it stopped suddenly.

Posted by: Tre | Mar 17, 2014 12:57:32 PM

25. Growing up in Southern California I can say that anything less than 6 on the Richter scale really isn't worth commenting.

If you want a sense of deja vu, you can look on YouTube at Kent Shocknek, (search: Kent Shocknek earthquake) who was on camera for KNBC Los Angeles during the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake. Dave Letterman mocked him for days afterward!

Posted by: PolarBeast | Mar 17, 2014 12:58:16 PM