Kylie Minogue | Music | News

Kylie Minogue on Becoming a Gay Icon: 'I Didn't Want to Have Just One Color to My Personality'

Kylie

In an interview with The Advocate, pop superstar Kylie Minogue shares her thoughts on why she became a gay icon and the creative influence her gay following continues to have on her music career.

Says Minogue:

“I didn’t become a gay icon or become popular in the gay community for doing something specific. That happened just because I was being myself.”

Minogue admits that her transition from actress to singer in the late 80s was difficult, but ultimately helped her embrace her own authenticity, something that the gay community noticed.

“In Australia, to be taken seriously as a singer took a long time,” she recalls. “I was attacked in the press – you could almost say bullied. It was stuff that really wasn’t nice and I didn’t understand at the time because I was just doing my job. I had to really dig my heels in to be allowed to be seen as a multifaceted personality.”

She adds, “I really resisted being pigeonholed and perhaps that’s one reason the gay community has felt some allegiance with me. Because I didn’t want to be told I was one thing and couldn’t be another. I didn’t want to have just one color to my personality.”

She goes on to discuss the creative influence the gay community has had on her career, which can be seen in her recent music video for “Sexercise" You can watch the video (and the sexy, sweaty male version) AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Congrats to Kylie. Here in the US, her new album came in at #28 selling an incredible 11,910 copies.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Mar 26, 2014 7:24:59 PM

2. Pop sugar Not a lot of nutrition

Posted by: LJC | Mar 26, 2014 7:46:38 PM

3. Is an album selling just under 12,000 copies now considered "incredible?"

Posted by: aga | Mar 26, 2014 10:37:12 PM

4. Kylie's talent is debatable. Her strategy appears to be bnaed on "half-naked woman with fake lesbian tendencies who appeals to gay guys". LOL.

Are we really so desperate that we gay guys need to worship half-naked women who pander to the straight guy fetish for girl-girl action? How desperate can a community get?

Posted by: brian | Mar 26, 2014 11:06:00 PM

5. Kylie's talent is debatable. Her strategy appears to be based on "half-naked woman with fake lesbian tendencies who appeals to gay guys". LOL.

Posted by: brian | Mar 26, 2014 11:06:56 PM

6. I wanna look that good at 45

Posted by: Graveetas | Mar 27, 2014 1:26:14 AM

7. Kylie can't sing and sounds Auto Tuned Australia can keep her..

Posted by: sam | Mar 27, 2014 2:06:05 AM

8. I agree Graveetas. She looks AMAZING. Plus she seems like a genuinely nice person.

Posted by: Russ | Mar 27, 2014 2:23:45 AM

9. Bitter bitches out again. This time with their knoves out for Kylie. Not sure why, always been our ally and doesn't have one mean bone in her entire body. Some of you should just be ashamed. Pathetic, bitter bitches

Posted by: Marc | Mar 27, 2014 2:47:18 AM

10. *knives!

Posted by: Marc | Mar 27, 2014 2:47:33 AM

11. Brian and Sam, what types of music do you like? Please be specific.

Posted by: Marc | Mar 27, 2014 2:49:00 AM

12. I love my Kyky. Bitter bitches can choke on a fat one.

Posted by: Cake | Mar 27, 2014 3:46:55 AM

13. Amen Marc and Cake! Bitter bitches really are pathetic.

Posted by: Esteban | Mar 27, 2014 3:56:57 AM

14. Marc, I have to agree I like her honesty that she hasn't done anything for the gay community but they love her. They never feel this way about men but whatever!

Music wise...you love Kylie? I give you P J Harvey. Pop wise, I give you Grace Jones or Sia.

Great you like her but many don't. Not sure why that is such a shock to you.

If she did universal music like REM or Radiohead, I might understand your shock but her pop isn't even that good. I much prefer pop wise Lana Del Rey.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 27, 2014 5:16:10 AM

15. I remember her early time here, she was bullied in the pres - they ripped her to shreds every day and I got the same at school for new backing down that I lover her. Her Kylie Minogue and Impossible Princess albums did wonders for her in Aus and paved the way for Light Years spending nearly a year in the charts and the for the big Kylie Fever. Sadly since 2007's X album the Aus pres and radio have gone back to their roots and stared to bully her again - now it's with agism. Sick of hear that a woman can't be sexy over 40, then when she's not, they attack her for not being sexy.

Kylie can't sing? Really, check out her live Somewhere over the Rainbow. SNAP!

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 27, 2014 7:44:27 AM

16. Rowan: interesting you mention Sia. Sia is the exec producer on Kylie's new album and wrote Sexercise (the song/video featured in the above post).

Posted by: Waynesfca | Mar 27, 2014 12:10:25 PM