Gay Adoption | Gay Marriage | Michigan | News

Michigan Gay Marriage Ban Trial Wraps Up as Witness Says Unrepentant Homosexuals are Going to Hell

Lmc

The last witness to testify for the state of Michigan in the nine-day trial challenging the state's ban on gay marriage and gay adoption left the courtroom with what the Detroit Free Press calls "explosive" testimony:

AllenHis views emerged following a question from plaintiffs attorney Ken Mogill, who is fighting to overturn Michigan’s ban on gay marriage.

“Is it accurate that you believe the consequence of engaging in homosexual acts is a separation from God and eternal damnation?” Mogill asked the state’s expert, then added, “in other words, they’re going to hell?”

“Without repentance, yes,” answered the expert, Canadian economist Douglas Allen, the last witness to testify on behalf of the state in a trial that could make Michigan the 18th state to legalize gay marriage.

Allen, an economist who has researched 60 same-sex parenting studies during a 15-year period, said that he believes Michigan should uphold its ban on gay marriage. He argued that science is a long way from determining whether that family structure is good or bad for kids, and that messing with public policy would be premature.

Michigan's AG claimed that Allen's religious beliefs won't hurt his testimony.

A decision from Judge Bernard Friedman won't come Friday, according to the AP, but it shouldn't be long.

Comments

1. Hey girl, I like your frosted tips.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Mar 7, 2014 7:49:32 AM

2. Nice shirt too. Real... subdued.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Mar 7, 2014 7:49:47 AM

3. Yeah--that shirt. Pole-smoker for sure!

Posted by: kdknyc | Mar 7, 2014 8:02:21 AM

4. He's using the same reasoning as a birther or a global warming denier: not enough evidence. They demand "give me more", but when it's provide they move the line for what they will require.

Oh, and nice shirt, Asshat.

Posted by: GeoffreyPS | Mar 7, 2014 8:12:58 AM

5. Will there be an analysis of the trial by Ari?

Posted by: Bryan C. | Mar 7, 2014 8:17:17 AM

6. I believe that it's hateful, homophobice Christians who will end up burning in hell. (Well I would believe that if I believed in hell.)

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 7, 2014 8:23:46 AM

7. Gayface alert!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 7, 2014 8:31:34 AM

8. He's a fag!

Posted by: litper | Mar 7, 2014 8:39:15 AM

9. I sent him an email, and Allen's response: A

"t the trial I was directed to give only yes or no answers under cross. That prevented me from expanding. I was asked the same question at the deposition,
    Where I was able to say that I believe everyone is a sinner, and everyone is going to he'll unless they repent.

This is nothing but basic Christian theology, and you can hardly attack me for that.

Thanks for your tolerance and respect for freedom of religion."

I told him he was an f'ing a-hole in the email, which is where the tolerance and respect stuff comes in.

Posted by: homer | Mar 7, 2014 8:42:26 AM

10. I sent him an email, and Allen's response: A

Thanks for your tolerance and respect for freedom of religion."

Posted by: homer | Mar 7, 2014 8:42:28 AM

11. So much wrong here:

Why is an Economist giving testimony about family structure?

What gives him the expertise to evaluate data in studies done by Psychologists and Sociologists?

Who sold him that shirt?

Who took his picture?

Posted by: Clayton | Mar 7, 2014 8:49:39 AM

12. Yeah, I don't see this going well for the State of Michigan Defense team...

Posted by: Kieran | Mar 7, 2014 8:55:27 AM

13. Holy moly! Now that is some industrial grade gay-face!

But unless the judge is also a holy roller his testimony nicely demonstrates the kind of animus gays face from our opponents, who base it all on the ramblings of nomads of the late Bronze age.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 7, 2014 9:04:53 AM

14. He states he has "researched 60 same-sex parenting studies during a 15-year period". Did he list the 60 studies? I have trouble believing that there have been 60 peer reviewed studies of same-sex studies from any source, let alone reputable sources.

Worst, he is an economics professor, not a sociologist. He is only qualified to do the statistical analysis, but not to analyse the results!

Posted by: Jim in TO | Mar 7, 2014 9:19:58 AM

15. Well then, I guess I'm going to hell. But if I were Douglas Allen, I would dress for warm weather as well.

Posted by: Dattexas | Mar 7, 2014 9:22:35 AM

16. Allen (in a review of the Regnerus study) wrote "Of the 50-plus such studies done in the past 15 years, the vast majority come to the same conclusion: Children of gay parents perform at least as well as children from heterosexual families; there is no difference in child outcomes based on family structure." http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/302749/regnerus-debate-douglas-w-allen

Posted by: Jim in TO | Mar 7, 2014 9:23:29 AM

17. I love this.
    An 'economist' from Canada gives medievalist beliefs as testimony in a court filled with lawyers.

this testimony may have been worth recording by Torquamada in the Spanish Inquisition but what and why is a slow witted frightened little fool giving his scared opinions on matters of an afterlife, and a theist belief as evidence ?
    Evidence of what ?
    Why is this loon out in daylight ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 7, 2014 9:29:33 AM

18. It's Monroe from Too Close for Comfort!

Posted by: JJ | Mar 7, 2014 11:02:41 AM

19. No surprise that the douchenozzle has no clue what "freedom of religion" is either. As all far-right lunatics, he wants to be free from any criticism.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 7, 2014 11:03:41 AM

20. As an atheist I love it when I hear bible thumping knuckle draggers say gays will go to hell. It's like telling an adult there's no Santa Claus.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Mar 7, 2014 11:18:50 AM

21. This is why the gay ban will ultimately found unconstitutional. You can talk religion and your beliefs, etc...but your in a LEGAL court room, not a religious town hall.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 7, 2014 11:23:10 AM

22. it's one of those things, do we smile at the always-present reality that the only "arguments" against us are nothing more than baseless, one-sided biased interpretations of Scripture, or do we weep that there are feeble minded folks on the Bench who think it's a justified and fully acceptable reason?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 7, 2014 1:19:13 PM

23. those so called "experts" have me laughing hysterically because they are saying out loud their irrational, illogical and stupid beliefs about gay people... and what they are saying will strengthen the case for gay adoption and marriage equality....they are helping our side win...........

Posted by: Bernie | Mar 7, 2014 8:02:04 PM

24. Were I the Judge, I would have disqualified each of the state's witnesses because they are all affiliated with Christian anti-gay hate groups.

Posted by: wayne | Mar 7, 2014 9:06:55 PM

25. Exactly how in the hell is his religious beliefs relevant in this trial? Why in the hell would a judge even allow this and not disqualify him? His religious beliefs have no relevance in a court of law. So what, he believes that all gays are going to hell, then good for him, but exactly what does that have to do with the trial at hand?

Posted by: crazycorgi | Mar 7, 2014 10:23:27 PM