Gay Marriage | Myanmar | News

Gay Couple in Myanmar Makes History with First Public Gay Wedding Ceremony: VIDEO

Myanmar

A gay couple in Myanmar, where homosexuality is illegal, took a bold step in that conservative nation and held a public wedding ceremony, AFP reports:

Tin Ko Ko and Myo Min Htet exchanged rings in an upmarket Yangon hotel Sunday, in the latest sign of changing social mores in the Southeast Asian nation as it emerges from the shadow of military dictatorship.

The marriage does not enjoy any legal status but followed the customs of other Myanmar weddings, with the two men arriving in solemn procession followed by six groomsmen in front of some two hundred guests.

"My family accepted me. I am so glad that my parents were understanding... but he had to overcome many difficulties from his family," said Tin Ko Ko, 38, of his partner in an emotional speech.

The couple has been together for 10 years. The laws against homosexuality are not strictly enforced.

Watch video of the couple's wedding, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hope they will be safe......and of course happy.

It's great to see a country that is becoming more tolerant and accepting of evolving relationships.

Hearing all the horrors from darkest Africa, from Nigeria, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Malawi have all been uniformly depressing.
    BTW, are we still allowed to call this country Burma ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 3, 2014 6:50:44 PM

2. The UK and US governments still refer to the country as Burma.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 3, 2014 7:07:52 PM

3. Two very brave young men. I hope they are very happy together & I hope their wedding leads to homosexuality being outlawed in their country and the progression of human rights for ALL.

Posted by: Icebloo | Mar 3, 2014 7:44:00 PM

4. It's referred as Burma to keep the despots happy. But its true name---for most citizens, the UN, human rights groups, and others concerned about the brutality of recent decades---is Myanmar.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 3, 2014 8:21:50 PM

5. Cuties! I wish them much happiness.

Posted by: Glenn I | Mar 3, 2014 8:33:36 PM

6. @Paul, the reason some governments do not recognize the name Myanmar is precisely *because* it was imposed by the military junta that has been widely considered illegitimate. You're right that the name Myanmar is not going away, but it's not because it is somehow associated with respect for human rights.

Posted by: DW | Mar 3, 2014 9:49:35 PM

7. DW: That's what I thought too. On the other hand, Burma may be some English language not very close approximation of the real old name, like a lot of them were.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 4, 2014 2:45:52 AM

8. Oops. Of course you're right. Sorry, I had a lapse.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 4, 2014 2:50:42 AM

9. my best friend's ex-wife makes $60 /hr on the computer . She has been fired for 9 months but last month her payment was $19487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Look At This W­ o­ r­ k­ s­ 7­ 7­ .­ C­ O­ M­

Posted by: ViktoriaLongliv | Mar 4, 2014 6:25:28 AM

10. @Paul & @DW, my family is Burmese; the country has been known as both Myanma and Bama for centuries, the former being the official formal name and the latter a colloquial/spoken name. The transliterative name "Burma" was formally inflicted upon the country by the British to settle the matter of address and reflect the ethnic majority Bama people, but the name is not regarded as inclusive. Although the name Myanmar has similar, albeit more classical roots, it is preferable to many Myanma folk partly because "Burma" is an occupation name. Many of us support the use of "Burma" only because the reversion to "Myanmar" was made undemocratically, the revulsion for the choices of the junta being greater than our 'resentment' of being colonised

To summarise, neither name is actually wrong, but "Myanmar" is the historically/logically more legitimate name in the Myanma language in the context of international relations. Thus the choice to use "Burma" is a purely political statement if its use is informed.

Incidentally, correct pronunciation is different from what is usually said on the news - it is not the overtly 3 syllabled my-anne-mar, but a 2 syllable sounding mien-MAR/[myen]-MAR, the first two syllables squished into one and the stress being on the second syllable.

Posted by: ST | Mar 4, 2014 4:22:57 PM