Game of Thrones | Kristian Nairn | Television

'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kristian Nairn Discusses Coming Out, is Proud to Break Gay Stereotypes

Kristian_nairn

You may recall that Kristian Nairn, the actor who plays Hodor on HBO's Game of Thrones, came out publicly earlier this month. But in a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Nairn revealed that he had come out to his family and friends early in his adolescence, making his second more-recent coming out at age 38 a bit “weird.”

“It felt a little bit unnecessary. It’s just really strange,” Nairn said. “It didn’t feel very important to me. I just mentioned it casually in an interview.”

He added:

I kind of had been waiting for it to come up in an interview question. But I sort of thought that people knew, because all you had to do—I started out doing a drag queen [act]. I DJ at a gay bar. Learn to Google, people. That’s all it is…

I don’t want to make light of it either because people have been in touch with me and they’ve been really… nice about it, and I’m really grateful. And also people said it inspired them. Because even within the gay community, there’s a stereotype even when you’re a gay person. You have to look a certain way. You have to be thin. You have to be tanned. You have to have small eyebrows. You have to look pretty. And that’s never been me.

I just think it’s important to show the world that we are varied people, as everybody else. You don’t have to be any way. I think that’s really important, and people said that to me. And that’s when I started to realize it’s not a small thing. It’s kind of a big thing. And if I can help somebody—you know, I’ve got my family behind me. I’ve got my friends behind me. If you have that, that’s all you need. It doesn’t matter about people on the Internet. And I’m really lucky to have that. And so if I can help one person, I’m happy.

During the interview he also discussed the challenges of carrying fellow GOT actor Isaac Hempstead Wright on his back for so many scenes as Hodor. Nairn admittedly has back problems which have required the consultation of a chiropractor.

Comments

1. Breaking stereotypes?? Actually everybody getting married for the press media looks like him already...

Posted by: styler | Mar 25, 2014 8:04:02 PM

2. What is "press media?"

Posted by: shawnthesheep | Mar 25, 2014 8:19:06 PM

3. I love him! Good for him. And hopefully people will see this and maybe let go of stupid senseless stereotypes.

Posted by: topher | Mar 25, 2014 9:08:50 PM

4. "...required the consultation of a chiropractor"

Back problems require something, but as chiropractic is dangerous quackery, they do not require a chiropractor.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 25, 2014 10:00:54 PM

5. Sometimes the message gets twisted into the idea that only young white twinks are gay. How refreshing when everyday we see new examples of our community, like Michael Sam or Kristian Nairn, that show we come in all colors, all ages, all sizes and all shapes.

Posted by: Howard B | Mar 25, 2014 10:25:46 PM

6. @ Topher - you're so right. Gay men are human beings - some of us are fat, some of us are skinny, some of us are ripped, some of us are hairy, some of us are smooth, some of us are young, some of us are old, some of us have great hair, some of us are bald. It's like a men smorgasbord. There's something for everyone.

Some guys are so immature that they are unable to see that their personal preferences aren't everybody's preferences.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 25, 2014 10:49:10 PM

7. Styler (Rick) is just just sad that the gays getting married looked nothing like him. Because he's a miserable closet case and it shows. Married couples, on the other hand, look happy. Poor, pathetic Rick. Never a bride, and never a bridesmaid because he has no friend or family who care about him.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 25, 2014 10:49:24 PM

8. @Mike in the Tundra -- Well said!

Posted by: kit | Mar 25, 2014 11:33:35 PM

9. I'm pleased that he's out.
    But for all his talk about how we should not assume he's straight because of stereotypes about aspects like his weight or pale skin, it's ironic that thinks the public should have known he was gay because he fulfilled other stereotypes like doing an act in drag or working as a DJ at a gay club.
    I've had straight friends who worked as DJ at gay clubs (I'd guess even that most are straight) and and gay ones who've worked in straight clubs. And many of the most successful drag acts in history have been straight men. Straight men from Jack Lemmon to Flip Wilson to Dame Edna to Tyler Perry to Jude Law to Tom Hanks (etc., etc..) have done drag.
    It would be ignorant to think we "know" someone's sexual orientation for either of those reasons...as ignorant as thinking we know because he's overweight and pale.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 26, 2014 12:11:13 AM

10. He needs to lose weight.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2014 12:25:11 AM

11. Rick, STOP stealing my username! Though I would say that, so thanks? So confused.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 26, 2014 1:01:00 AM

12. Hey, a gay male person on Towleroad who does NOT have abs. Will wonders never cease?

Posted by: Traje | Mar 26, 2014 3:50:16 AM

13. "Straight men ... Tyler Perry"

Umm....

Posted by: JCF | Mar 26, 2014 4:19:16 AM

14. "Straight men ... Tyler Perry"

Umm....

Posted by: JCF | Mar 26, 2014 4:19:16 AM

15. Tyler Perry and the word straight in the same sentence... You're joking right???

Posted by: Jacob | Mar 26, 2014 6:11:35 AM

16. What a fine looking man.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Mar 26, 2014 7:58:14 AM

17. Gay men sould not have small eyebrows... I don't know when that became trendy, but it's unattractive to me... If you want to look like a Cher impersonator out of drag, go for it... And honestly, no judgement about drag queens, but name a drag queen who looks good out of drag... Oh that's right, there isn't one. Maybe Ru Paul...

Posted by: Graphicjack | Mar 26, 2014 8:25:53 AM

18. GregV -lol. Yes straight men have done drag -- AS HIRED ROLES -- on Broadway or in a Hollywood movie, but to suggest starting out as a drag performer doesn't "mean" anything is flawed logic...and kind of hilarious.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 26, 2014 10:41:26 AM

19. Randy, just what do you know about Chiropractic?

Posted by: acde | Mar 26, 2014 10:57:25 AM

20. If he can find it, he's a lot of fun.

Posted by: John | Mar 26, 2014 4:03:18 PM