ACT-UP | AIDS/HIV | Jim Parsons | Julia Roberts | Larry Kramer | Mark Ruffalo | Matt Bomer | New York | News | Taylor Kitsch

'The Normal Heart' Teaser Trailer Unearths the Panic, Grief, and Humanity of the Early Days of AIDS: VIDEO

Normalheart

The film adaptation of Larry Kramer's largely autobiographical Tony award-winning (for its revival in 2011) play The Normal Heart is coming to HBO on May 25 and a new trailer debuted yesterday.

The film stars Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer, Julia Roberts, Taylor Kitsch, and Jim Parsons, and chronicles the early days of the AIDS crisis in New York City as seen through the eyes of an activist.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_normalheart

Comments

1. WEEEEEEEEEEEE! MATT BOMER AND MARK RUFFALO?

I understand the seriousness of the play's tone, but forgive my girl geekiness and ultimate crush on those two boys. I don't know if I can handle them making out, and having drool-worthy Matt hold on to Mark's luscious glorious manfur.

Too bad JR is in there. The rest of the cast sounds great.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 10, 2014 8:34:07 AM

2. I have the staged reading recording that Streisand put together back in the 90's with Eric Bogosian, Stockard Channing, et all--it's amazing, and Channing's monologue from Act II is beyond shattering. However, based on "August Osage County" I'm hoping Julia Roberts keeps tapping into the grotty stuff and delivers on what that clip promises. Ruffalo, I have no doubt, will be exceptional.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 10, 2014 9:57:09 AM

3. I have seen 3 live productions of The Normal Heart, and I am already tearing up just watching the trailer. This is going to be an amazing work with Ryan Murphy at the helm, and with Larry Kramer adapting his own play for television. And yeah, what a cast! I will give JR the benefit of the doubt and hope that Murphy can coax a good performance out of her.

Posted by: Thom | Mar 10, 2014 9:58:44 AM

4. Oscar bait for Ruffalo a la Matthew Mc.

Posted by: freak | Mar 10, 2014 10:11:52 AM

5. @Freak, it's a TV movie, so more Emmy bait, but I definitely don't see it as calculated. Everyone seems to be connecting with the material.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Mar 10, 2014 10:39:41 AM

6. For us older guys, it's going to be hard to watch.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 10, 2014 11:48:46 AM

7. I cannot wait for this. I'm so thrilled that millions of people around the world are finally going to be introduced to not just this landmark American work, but are going to be informed about the beginnings of the AIDS crisis in america - the ugliness and strength and hate and love that battled it out. It's one of the most important works of the 20th century, and we all owe Larry Kramer a massive debt. This broadcast has the potential to change and save lives.

CANNOT WAIT. #bawlingalready

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 10, 2014 12:49:39 PM

8. Any one know the name of the song playing?

Posted by: FilmBuff1822 | Mar 10, 2014 1:48:08 PM

9. When has Ryan Murphy directed something of quality? Ready for this to be atrocious, as was Running With Scissors... a book I absolutely adored until the film came out.

Posted by: brian | Mar 10, 2014 1:54:04 PM

10. I haven't seen any productions of Normal Heart, but really wanted to ... and trailer alone almost puts tears in my eyes.

Posted by: reality | Mar 10, 2014 3:11:14 PM

11. I haven't seen any productions of Normal Heart, but really wanted to ... and trailer alone almost puts tears in my eyes.

Posted by: reality | Mar 10, 2014 3:11:15 PM

12. What Mike said-- I'm in my 40s and damn, this is going to be hard to watch.... but it looks great. I'll be there. :-)

Posted by: eric mueller | Mar 10, 2014 5:33:55 PM

13. I was just a kid when the AIDS crisis was occurring and I never even heard of it until the 90s and I think even then HBO lead the charge with AIDS related programming so I welcome more of an insight into this era.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 10, 2014 10:10:00 PM

14. I saw the play on Broadway a couple of years ago. It was one of the best pieces of theater I've ever seen. I really hope this version can do it justice. The trailer certainly looks promising.

Posted by: Erko | Mar 10, 2014 11:00:22 PM

15. As a native San Franciscan I've lost a lot of friends and associates to AIDs and I know the importance of this film but it is still very hard to take.

BTW, I put up a new video on my YouTube channel yesterday, re: "The St. Stupid Parade". Its a group of crazy fools in costume and naked walking down Market Street. Take a looksee: https://tinyurl.com/kq249r4

Other SF landmarks can be viewed on my channel here: https://tinyurl.com/kk3zfw8

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Apr 4, 2014 10:58:20 AM