Gay Marriage | Maggie Gallagher | News | NOM

NOM's Maggie Gallagher Says She Feels Personally Liberated After Losing Marriage Battle

M_gallagher

In an exchange that really crystallizes the tremendous progress gay rights has made, National Organization for Marriage founder Maggie Gallagher shared her thoughts with The Huffington Post about losing the marriage battle, writing "I have a lot more freedom now to figure out what I want to do with the next 20 years of my life."

Said Gallagher:

I went into this fight, in good conscience, because I believed it mattered and that I had something to contribute. I did not promise myself I would win. I promised myself I would do everything I could see, to do this good, to fight for marriage as a universal human institution with certain goods and goals. I feel a great deal of contentment about that. I can see some things I might have done differently, but basically I was at post. One cannot do anything better with one's life than stand up for what you deeply believe in, i.e, to speak truth, whether in power or to power.

Gallagher acknowledged that nationwide marriage equality is on the horizon and said social conservatives will ultimately need to reformulate the role they play in society:

As I said last summer, it was clear to me from reading Windsor [the U.S. Supreme Court decision in United States v. Windsor], gay marriage advocates now have five votes for inserting a right to gay marriage in our Constitution. We are now in the 'gay marriage in all 50 states' phase whether we like it or not. What's next? In my view people who believe in the traditional understanding of marriage, and believe that it matters, have to become a creative minority, finding way to both express these sexual views, culturally, artistically and intellectually and to engage with the newly dominant cultural view of marriage respectfully but not submissively.

She went on to share her thoughts on religious exemption legislation like the failed proposal in Arizona and why she thinks there has been a such a dramatic shift in public opinion among religious groups regarding LGBT rights.

You can check out the full, fascinating interview HERE

Comments

1. Poor Maggie. What's truly depressing is that when she finally kicks the bucket it'll be a bittersweet day for her own child. Sad to see the only mother he's ever known pass on, and aware that from that day forward he can live his life as he pleases, without a need for his authentic life to go against his mother's life work. If you know what I mean....

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 21, 2014 1:48:57 PM

2. You know what they say, Mags: "Freedom is just another word for 'nothing left to lose'."

Posted by: Bobby McGee | Mar 21, 2014 1:52:19 PM

3. That's right, dear. You are are now in the 'gay marriage in all 50 states' phase whether you like it or not. Come on America, keep this puppy moving!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Mar 21, 2014 1:54:05 PM

4. Hey, Maggie...."Just lie back and enjoy it."

Posted by: Clayton Williams | Mar 21, 2014 2:01:19 PM

5. What in the hell is KIWI talking about? More of his pretentious pose as either clairvoyant or omniscient.
    He thinks he knows that Galleghar's son is gay. Gufaw.

Apart from such foolishness, I think that Ms G. has given up rather gracefully which is a good sign of character, however mistaken I believe she has been.

Now go home dear and be quiet...in fact that's what she has told us she wants to do.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 21, 2014 2:02:34 PM

6. Yes, Maggie, there has been a dramatic shift... just not in the direction you were hoping for.

Posted by: JimmyD | Mar 21, 2014 2:10:51 PM

7. Still a bigot. (and UFFDA is still the gay version of Frasier Crane. Except not in a good way.)

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Mar 21, 2014 2:14:20 PM

8. I'm trying hard to find something kind to write but it simply isn't possible.

Posted by: mike | Mar 21, 2014 2:17:38 PM

9. "One cannot do anything better with one's life than stand up for what you deeply believe in"

No, simply following strong beliefs isn't noble. Is it noble to fly planes into skyscrapers? Why you believe what you believe matters. How you arrive at your beliefs matters. What your beliefs say about how you treat others is key. Whether what you believe is justified, is true or likely to be true, is essential to the question of whether it's moral to act on those beliefs.

Alas, alleged divine revelation and faith are not reliable ways to discover truths, and that certainly applies to moral truths.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 21, 2014 2:21:32 PM

10. I think what's most depressing about this is that Maggie believes that she has 20 years left. I give her 8 or 9 max.

Posted by: shaun | Mar 21, 2014 2:23:50 PM

11. finally, not to see maggie and her short skirts anymore.
    she'll join the annals of media history, along with jabba the hut and jessica simpson.

Posted by: woody | Mar 21, 2014 2:30:43 PM

12. I was going to commend her on being gracious about admitting defeat... but reading her thoughts in the linked interview show she's just as full of herself and oblivious to the injustice people with her viewpoint inflict on others.

I've no idea why she even bothered surfacing again, she apparently saw the writing on the wall and gave up, leaving NOM in the fumbling butterfingers of B-Bro.

Posted by: jexer | Mar 21, 2014 2:31:46 PM

13. This is an evil woman who has lost and is now backtracking . She will never be a friend, always an enemy as she has harmed and hurt to many GLBT members, for no other reason that bigotry. Shame on her now and always.

Posted by: Jimmy Palmieri | Mar 21, 2014 2:38:28 PM

14. She is trying to reinvent herself for the next bandwagon to jump on.

Posted by: chip321 | Mar 21, 2014 2:39:46 PM

15. Lol, of course Uffda the troll would think Maggie has character and decency. He (and by he, I mean Rick, since we all know Uffda is just one of his usernames) hates gays just as much as Mz. Gallagher does.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 21, 2014 2:45:13 PM

16. "gay marriage advocates now have five votes for inserting a right to gay marriage in our Constitution"

It's not a new right. It's just the same old right to marry the one you love that everyone else has. As Judge Robert Shelby explained in the Utah marriage case, if the right to same-sex marriage were a separate right, then people would be able to exercise that right independently of the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. In places that recognize the so-called additional right to same-sex marriage, people would be able to have two spouses simultaneously: one of the opposite sex--by exercising their right to traditional marriage--and one of the same sex--by exercising their right to same-sex marriage. A person's spouses could then each have a second spouse, and so on.

The case we've made to courts, and the principle they're endorsing, is that when someone exercises the right to marry that our society has always recognized, the ONE person they choose to marry cannot be deemed ineligible on account of sex.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 21, 2014 2:51:37 PM

17. Maggie' doing best to turn Chicken Sh** into Chicken Salad. But it's No Go, dear.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 21, 2014 2:51:53 PM

18. She just told us what her shrink said to her. Therapy is what she needs.

Posted by: simon | Mar 21, 2014 2:54:20 PM

19. "We lost and now we're looking for jobs."

Posted by: Tigernan | Mar 21, 2014 2:58:41 PM

20. calm down dear.

It's not a 'right to gay marriage' that is in issue.

It is simply that the universal right to marriage should not be the in the possession solely of straight people.
    Never once have the straights given an example of one of "their" marriages which has come to grief because gays could marry too.
    But Maggie Gallagher's name will live in infamy and derision just like Anita Bryant's name; these people were told over and over that history will sweep them away.
    And so Maggie begone !
    Just apologise and go.
    silence from you would be more dignified than the publicity you crave.

(PS : Lose the helmet hair.)

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 21, 2014 3:00:03 PM

21. I look forward to the day, and I think this day will someday come, when the goals of the National Organization for Marriage will be to protect ALL marriages, whether they are of the opposite or same sex.

Posted by: bernard | Mar 21, 2014 3:07:11 PM

22. HuffPo probably had to throw the old truffle snuffler a truffle before each question to get her to come out.

"It makes me very sad, and hungry, now that gay people will be able to marry, mocking my belief system, snuffle, snuffle, oink, another truffle please." "Western civilization is doomed, snuffle, snuffle, truffle please." (Excerpted from interview transcript)

I hope she busted HuffPo's truffle budget.

Posted by: james st. james | Mar 21, 2014 3:08:36 PM

23. OK JEXER - you're more right that I...I didn't read the link, therefore missed her continuance of prejudice and stupidity. Too bad, I thought she had a chance at some degree of repentance. She doesn't.

As for me being Rick, a whole lot of people here apparently can't face that way more than one person
    has a different, or modified, point of view from the legion lock-step clones that close rank around their Politically Chic opinions hereon.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 21, 2014 3:09:10 PM

24. "...marriage as a universal human institution..."

So what was she fussing about all this time?

ObAppearances: She looks quite good.

Posted by: Latebrosus | Mar 21, 2014 3:16:19 PM

25. Well remorse should come before forgiveness. My God be her judge.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 21, 2014 3:24:23 PM