Deaths | News

Actor Bob Hoskins Dead at 71

Hoskins

British actor Bob Hoskins, seen above portraying J. Edgar Hoover in Nixon (1995), has died at the age of 71, the AP reports:

A family statement released Wednesday by agent Clair Dobbs said Hoskins died in a hospital after a bout of pneumonia. His wife Linda and children Alex, Sarah, Rosa and Jack, said: "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob."

In 2012 Hoskins announced that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and was retiring from acting.

Hoskins appeared in dozens of other films including Mona Lisa, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Hook.

Comments

1. I can't believe a blog focusing on LGBT issues wouldn't list "Mermaids" as one of Hoskins roles. ;)

Posted by: Peter | Apr 30, 2014 9:00:07 AM

2. Hoskins as a fine actor who played many kinds of roles. His performances gave me plenty of pleasure.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Apr 30, 2014 9:34:06 AM

3. glad Andy used this photo, it's my favorite scene in Nixon when Bob Hoskins as a very lecherous j Edgar Hoover gets a sloppy kiss from a (too young) Wilson Cruz. Delicious.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Apr 30, 2014 9:46:56 AM

4. Here he is in the role for which I'll always remember him "the Long Good Friday." he's being held at bay by Pierce Brosnan playing a gay hit man

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 30, 2014 9:51:58 AM

5. He did a lot of great work, but I have special fondness for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" "Mona Lisa" and "Mrs. Henderson Presents." Godspeed.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 30, 2014 10:25:18 AM

6. So sad! Going to watch Mermaids tonight in his honor. He seemed like such a sweet guy.

Posted by: JMC | Apr 30, 2014 10:44:50 AM

7. I agree with everybody who's posted. I enjoyed him in every movie I ever saw him in. Sometimes character actors are more fun to watch than the big stars...often they are.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 30, 2014 10:53:37 AM

8. He was also one of the great Shakespearean actors of his generation. Anyone who has seen his Iago opposite Anthony Hopkins can attest.

Posted by: AFFICIONADO | Apr 30, 2014 12:17:55 PM

9. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was one of the first movies that blew me away... and Hoskins absolutely rocked that movie. I'm not sure if anyone could have done better.

He's had so many great roles and will always be remembered.

RIP.