News | Robin Roberts

GMA's Robin Roberts on Not Coming Out Sooner: 'Some People Like Their Anonymity'

RobertsIn a new interview with Good Housekeeping magazine, GMA anchor Robin Roberts speaks about her upbringing, her battle with bone marrow disease, and why she waited until December 2013 to finally come out as gay.

Says Roberts:

News flash: Some people like their anonymity. This is what's right for me. Love is love, and I'm grateful to have that. Sometimes there's a stigma attached to how people view you if you're living a certain way. But I don't care — you gotta live your life. You gotta find what happiness is and what it means for you, and you can't get caught up in what someone is saying about you on Twitter. You don't go through a year like I did to not be happy and not make your own choices.

Roberts has served as GMA anchor since 2005.

Comments

1. Sorry, Robin Roberts, but no.

I appreciate that you want your "anonymity" and such, but when you seek fame and fortune you make a deal with the devil. You give up your privacy for renown and riches. Lots and lots of riches.

You have been reaping the rewards of success while working very, very hard to hide your sexual orientation.

SHAME.

There are so many children without your millions and millions of money who might still be alive today if you weren't such a fame whore.

SHAME.

Posted by: Bucky | Apr 14, 2014 9:04:09 PM

2. Sorry Bucky but Robin Roberts is hardly the reason why so many kids are killing themselves. Don't you dare go giving a pass to those in our society who are responsible.

You should also be honest enough that some people come out and end of killing themselves or killed by others because they did.Being gay does not mean one is required to be a martyr.

Posted by: Chuy Vickers | Apr 14, 2014 9:14:37 PM

3. Jesus, Bucky, reign in your faux righteous outrage. Robin Roberts doesn't owe you anything.

Posted by: Zell | Apr 14, 2014 9:18:02 PM

4. I agree with Bucky: she's an idiot. I hope it eventually dawns on her that all the lovely rights and privileges she has (and will obtain in the future) are thanks to the tireless efforts of people who came out of the closet.

@Chuy Vickers: LGBT kids kill themselves because they feel hopeless and isolated. No one's giving a pass to anyone.

Posted by: Antony | Apr 14, 2014 9:34:25 PM

5. Yeah she didn't come out sooner because it would have hurt her career and she was afraid. I would love if these formerly closeted celebs would admit that. She can keep her anonymity but funny thing is - she brought the whole world in through her health struggle which was very intimate. She's a hypocrite. What else is new with the Closet?

Posted by: Martin | Apr 14, 2014 10:33:12 PM

6. Yep, you are all perfect boys. Just perfect.

Posted by: FAUX OUTRAGE | Apr 14, 2014 10:34:52 PM

7. @Faux

Not saying I'm perfect but it's obvious that formerly closeted celebs and closeted celebs always throw the same card BUT NOT STRAIGHT celebs. I don't care about how she conducted herself but she could have been honest about why she didn't come out. It would have provided more discussion about stigma. Duh.

Posted by: Martin | Apr 14, 2014 10:44:14 PM

8. Honestly Martin people come out when THEY want to come out. Not when YOU want them to, celebrity or not. She came out to her viewers when she was comfortable (I'm sure her family and co-workers knew long before) and wanted was ready. On her timetable, not yours. The point is: she came out. Period.

Posted by: FAUX OUTRAGE | Apr 14, 2014 10:54:00 PM

9. She didn't come out before, no-

But she *has* come out now. She's doing a good thing. We all have to come out in our own time, at our own pace. Robin Roberts isn't George Rekers, or Ted Haggard; she deserves to make the choice when she's ready.

Let's welcome her; not castigate her for not coming out sooner.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 14, 2014 10:56:09 PM

10. "Sometimes there's a stigma attached to how people view you if you're living a certain way." A "certain way"? What is wrong with this idiot? Why can't she say homophobia, internal and external, kept her closeted and her partner a dirty unspoken secret? But she has to pull the tired "privacy card" which only reinforces her shame. It's ugly and sad.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Apr 14, 2014 10:59:17 PM

11. Better she, Anderson Cooper, Thomas Roberts had come out earlier and possibly decreased their chances of being famous. Who needs gay role models? Especially these 3 who must have killed many LGBT teens with their silence.

I didn't come out until I was 23, got into graduate school, moved away from home, and was self-sufficient. How many teenagers did I kill in my years of silence?

Posted by: bravo | Apr 15, 2014 12:12:25 AM

12. Hey Faux

I'm not asking her to come out when I want her to come out, I'm simply saying that once out it's better to at least be honest about why the closet existed in the first place. A more honest discussion behind the stigma of HAVING to be in the closet is in order. It was never about privacy, it was about the stigma. Get it you ridiculous self hating nignog?

Posted by: Martin | Apr 15, 2014 12:19:34 AM

13. Those early come outs will be fodder for tabloids as they grow older.
    Believe it or not, the "It Gets Better" videos will provide comedy for future generations.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 15, 2014 12:23:59 AM

14. Yes Martin "I get it". She wanted privacy. She didn't want to deal with the likes of people like you that are commenting on this board and nit-picking HER decisions. Plus, having to deal with the religious haters and the judgers of the world. She didn't want them in her private life. She wanted privacy about this aspect of her life until SHE was ready to deal with you bitter whiners. She came out. Move on.

What make me a self hater??? Because I didn't get my panties in a bunch about her not coming out and the reasons why she didn't do in on your timetable? Honestly, she doesn't owe you or anyone an explanation. She's out. Get over it.

Posted by: FAUX OUTRAGE | Apr 15, 2014 12:58:44 AM

15. Faux

She's lying about why she was closeted. It's ok. I get it. we're not there yet. I'm glad she's out, but I wish she had more intellect about it. You don't. You're still in the closet. I get that too.

I'm calling truce.

Posted by: Martin | Apr 15, 2014 1:04:18 AM

16. Faux

If she wanted privacy she would not have led America through her cancer saga, RIGHT?

Posted by: Martin | Apr 15, 2014 1:08:20 AM

17. Ummm...privacy about a health situation and privacy about what goes on in her bedroom are two different things. It's not an all or nothing game here. Just as someone who came out much earlier in life (which is apparently the only thing that gets your full approval) may also be holding back other aspects about their life (like say, health problems). Again, not an all or nothing game. Some could argue her health scare gave her the push to open up about other aspects of her life. At the end of the day it was still her decision to share that part of her life with the public and risk the backlash. Not yours. It's funny, all you people b*tching have never had to come out to millions of people. So it's easy to throw stones. Really, if it bothers you that much maybe you should seek help.

Posted by: FAUX OUTRAGE | Apr 15, 2014 1:31:33 AM

18. She was under no obligation to come out.

However being a TV presenter whining about anonymity is truly moronic self-justification.

She should and could have come out earlier. She chose not to. Leave it at that.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 15, 2014 4:03:55 AM

19. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept that Robin Roberts staying in the closet caused LGBT kids to kill themselves. I was a high school substitute for several years. Trust me when I say that no high school students are watching "Good Morning America". None.

Posted by: alex | Apr 15, 2014 4:42:34 AM

20. Her cowardice didn't cause anyone to kill themselves.

But spouting on about her anonymity as a TV presenter while talking EVERY DAY about her illness is really crass and pathetic.

Why can't she simply say "I didn't want to come out because I wouldn't have been as successful and wouldn't have made as much money so I was a coward."

I'd have a lot more respect for her if she simply admitted that.

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 15, 2014 4:51:13 AM

21. It's generally much better for gay celebrities to wait until they have stable, successful careers to come out.. especially when we're talking about celebrities who began their careers as long ago as Roberts. If they didn't, there would be practically no celebrity gay role models to speak of. We all know an openly gay black woman never would have been hired to anchor SportsCenter in the early 1990s.

She came out and has contributed more to the visibility of gay people since doing so than any of you. You're only discouraging more gay celebrities from coming out of the closet by eating the ones that do alive. Shut up and acquaint yourselves with reality

Posted by: JMC | Apr 15, 2014 5:20:56 AM

22. Wow, I must have misplaced my Gay Rulebook. I didn't know that certain people HAVE to come out when we say so or we get our panties in a bunch.

Huge cognitive disconnect going on with some of these comments.

Who told you WHEN to come out, folks?

Celeb or not, nobody is responsible for a suicide except the person who committed it.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 15, 2014 9:07:40 AM

23. In my opinion there were a lot of contradictions in her statement. Besides, she's a public figure on TV... and with today's celebrity obsession... surely anonymity is not then her game

Posted by: Chas | Apr 15, 2014 9:18:15 AM

24. It is shameful that people believe they know what is best for others to do with their lives. Live your life how you want and let others live their lives how they decide to live it. It is THEIR life and NOT yours.

The only people she owes anything to are her family and friends. She owes me nothing. She owes you nothing. She doesn't owe an unnamed gay kid anything.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 15, 2014 9:50:19 AM

25. It boggles my mind that there are so many asswipes out there who believe they know best when and why people should come out. You are despicable human beings.

Posted by: Kerry | Apr 15, 2014 9:52:38 AM