Gay Marriage | Lyndon Johnson | News

LBJ's Daughters: He Would Have Supported Gay Marriage - VIDEO

Johnson

President Lyndon B. Johnson's daughters, Luci Baines Johnson and Lynda Bird Johnson Robb, believe their father would have supported marriage equality.

The two told told Katie Couric on Yahoo Global News:

“I think my father felt very strongly that when there was bigotry anywhere, prejudice anywhere, all of us lose out,” Johnson said. “Because it's just one more expression of hate.”

For her part, Robb said she didn’t know what her father would say, because same-sex marriage was not an issue when he was in public life.

“It's hard to project what Daddy would have thought about that because that wasn't an issue that had come upon the stage at that time,” Robb said. “But I know he really wanted everybody to be able to live up to the best that God gave them.”

Both Robb and Johnson said they personally believe gay marriage should be allowed.

“I certainly think that, if God made you a homosexual, that you should have love and affection with somebody,” Robb said. “And I would not want to deny anybody that opportunity to be happy.”

“It’s a great civil rights concern of our day,” Johnson added.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

The late president signed the Civil Rights Act into law 50 years ago this year. Over the next few days, the LBJ Presidential Library at the University of Texas will mark the anniversary with a three-day summit on civil rights. Panelists will discuss a variety of current topics - including gay marriage.

Comments

1. Very articulate, lovely and well-informed ladies. Their ability to change over the years is inspirational.

Posted by: David From Canada | Apr 8, 2014 10:11:45 AM

2. They said it beautifully. I don't think there's anything to add except maybe: Amen.

Posted by: jtramon | Apr 8, 2014 10:13:11 AM

3. Two gracious ladies just as their mother was a very gracious lady. God bless them.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 8, 2014 10:39:20 AM

4. Highly unlikely he would have supported it, but it nice that they think he would have.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 8, 2014 10:47:16 AM

5. Lynda Bird's husband, Chuck Robb, was the only southern senator of either party to vote against DOMA in 1996. He knew when he did it that he'd committed political suicide. he also knew he was on the right side of history.

Posted by: Jason MacBride | Apr 8, 2014 11:17:30 AM

6. Yes, it is highly unlikely he would have supported gay equality. Black equality is quite another thing.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 8, 2014 11:22:13 AM

7. Great interview!

Posted by: reality | Apr 8, 2014 11:22:31 AM

8. I saw a public service announcement recently in support of marriage equality. The person featured was former Wyoming senator Alan Simpson. He also supported the repeal of DADT. I was surprised since he was a conservative Republcan.

So, yeah, I think LBJ could have evolved on the issue of marriage equality. He certainly evolved on the issue of civil rights during his life.

LBJ seemed to get to the point in his life where he just couldn't stand bigots--and loved to antagonize them. (LOL) Some of them were his former political buddies Down South.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 8, 2014 11:25:49 AM

9. @perry

knowing a bit about LBJ, I think he would have indeed supported the "issue"... but would likely be attacked by the TBLG chorus because he wasn't politically correct enough. He would fight for our rights but in private refer to us as fruits and cocksuckers.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 8, 2014 11:33:12 AM

10. @ "...political buddies Down South."

Ignore the "Down South" part of my comment. There were many enemies of LBJ's civil rights agenda up North also.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 8, 2014 11:34:14 AM

11. Wow. What incredible women. This video made my week.

Posted by: Stephen | Apr 8, 2014 11:35:20 AM

12. Wow from me as well. I love when ladies like these two turn out to support civil right issues. Their style says concervative, their hearts are liberals. Lovely ladies.

Posted by: Matt27 | Apr 8, 2014 12:12:37 PM

13. The body language says it all....when she crosses her arms in a hug over her chest, you know that it's real......same for the big sigh. It's not an act; it's real.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 8, 2014 12:20:58 PM

14. That brought a tear to my eye, I won't lie. The memory of Katie indulging that hairy Duck-Fil-A ape on her show a few months back gave me heartburn. It was before the big 'scandal' & I'll admit, I had heard of Duck Dynasty but knew nothing else about the show or the protagonists, but it was clear the guy was a self righteous ass. He was teaching her to use one of those duck-call-whistle-thingies. I wonder if she & her people were aware of his bigoted beliefs when they invited him on the show.

Posted by: Leroy Lalamme | Apr 8, 2014 12:43:18 PM

15. Some people are delusional about LBJ in his thinking about gays. He publicly referred to being gay as a sickness and disease in regards to the Walter Jenkins incident in 1964.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 8, 2014 1:22:33 PM

16. Classy ladies. Now I'm curious to see what Nixon's and Ford's kids would say.

Posted by: Håkon | Apr 8, 2014 1:48:54 PM

17. Wonderful ladies.

Posted by: TheSeer | Apr 8, 2014 2:04:56 PM

18. I campaigned for Chuck Robb in 1977, when he was running for Lt. Gov. of Virginia. I was so deeply in the closet it was like a strait jacket. These comments, along with Vice President Biden's speech at the HRC dinner in LA, just bring tears of regret that I wasted so much energy denying who I was.

Posted by: Bill Wilson | Apr 8, 2014 3:04:53 PM

19. These gals are great!

LBJ trivia: He had an enormous peni he nick named Jumbo. He musta wrecked poor old Lady Birds hooch!

Posted by: Johnny | Apr 8, 2014 6:19:15 PM

20. I think it is easier to see LBJ supporting gay rights today than Civil Rights for African-Americans in the 60s. His ability to fight the bigotry of the south tells us that he followed principles.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 8, 2014 9:19:40 PM

21. Unfortunate, this term "homosexual."

Posted by: perry | Apr 8, 2014 11:20:15 PM

22. Actually for their time they were progressive and tried to stick by Walter Jenkins, Lady Bird even gave him work in her biz interests (lots of people don't know that Lady Bird was a successful biz women in her own right.)
    They tried to stick with Walter Jenkins and not stick it to him as LBJ enemies and some friends did.

Posted by: miami | Apr 9, 2014 4:51:59 AM

23. Well said, Miami. Similarly, FDR tried to suppress knowledge of an incident where his assistant Secretary of State, Sumner Welles, made a pass at a male porter in 1940. Eventually, the story broke and FDR had to let Welles go. But when FDR learned the source of the leak, Ambassador Bill Bullitt, he fired him and told Bullitt he would "go to Hell" for what he did to destroy an able man who made an error in judgement.

The thing to remember is that LBJ's daughters are stating contextually that if their father *was alive today* he would favor gay rights. The same can be said, based on contextual evidence, for Truman (who knew about J. Edgar Hoover's relationship with Clyde Tolson and didn't care), Ike (who had several lesbian assistants during WWII), and JFK (Whose best friend, Lem Billings, was gay). Jerry Ford endorsed same sex marriage rights shortly before he died. And we know Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are for gay rights. Even the elder George Bush has shown more comfort with LGBTs recently. That leaves Nixon, Reagan, and the young Bush as the odd men out.

Posted by: Hank | Apr 9, 2014 9:28:21 AM

24. Hank, it's no surprise that Ford was OK with gays. A gay man saved his life. Oliver Sipple was the bystander who moved Sara Jane Moore's arm and deflected the bullet before it hit President Ford on September 22, 1975.

Posted by: HOFFENPOT | Apr 9, 2014 11:01:47 AM