AIDS/HIV | California | Medicine

Medi-Cal Increases Accessibility Of Truvada, Eliminates Monthly HIV Testing Requirement

Truvada

California's Medi-Cal, a state welfare program serving low-income families, seniors, persons with disabilities, children in foster care, pregnant women, and certain low-income adults, has made it easier for the people they serve to have access to Truvada as PrEP. First, they've eliminated the requirement that patients be tested monthly for HIV; the requirement that patients be provided with condoms was lifted; and the requirement that the patient's doctor has to receive Medi-Cal's permission before writing a prescription.

The decisions to lift these requirements came after discussions between Mike Wofford, Medi-Cal’s pharmacy policy branch chief, and representatives from AIDS Project Los Angeles, the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center, and Project Inform. Removing Medi-Cal's required approval made for one less step patients would have to go through to get started on a regimen, and the relaxing of the condom and HIV testing requirements came after the three groups asserted that they were "not necessarily real world conditions."

Comments

1. that's great for low-income people, but for middle-income people the drug is still expensive, and a lot of insurance plans won't pay for it.

You have to be a whore to be on Truvada -- that's the only way to afford it!

Posted by: keating | Apr 23, 2014 10:33:59 AM

2. Behind this push for Truvada, my sensitive Stuffed Animal snout detects the influence of both Big Pharma and the dumbass anti-condom lobby! But I always did think mandatory monthly HIV testing was a bad idea.

Posted by: StuffedAnimal | Apr 23, 2014 10:47:59 AM

3. Behind this push for Truvada, my sensitive Stuffed Animal snout detects the influence of both Big Pharma and the dumbass anti-condom lobby! But I always did think mandatory monthly HIV testing was a bad idea.

Posted by: StuffedAnimal | Apr 23, 2014 10:48:35 AM

4. Partay!

Posted by: Jay | Apr 23, 2014 10:57:36 AM

5. Truvada is still new. It hasn't proven itself like women's birth control pills has for preventing unwanted pregnancy(99% effective vs 89% with condom ). Of course, the poor are always great resource for lab rats.

Posted by: vaccine | Apr 23, 2014 11:23:15 AM

6. This is how PREP should be handled. Not how Michael Weinstein does...

Posted by: Robert M. | Apr 23, 2014 11:47:13 AM

7. can you imagine what a different world we'd be living in had Jonas Salk patented his cure for polio?

dear Medical World - your job should be to put yourselves out of a job. Do you want to eliminate HIV or do you want to make money off of people living with HIV? you cannot have both.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 23, 2014 12:01:05 PM

8. Hope for another sentimental play about this issue. The last one was lost on this generation.

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 23, 2014 12:07:57 PM

9. In the absence of condom use, Truvada will only prevent the spread of HIV - and only if it is used consistently. The side effects will be highly toxic over the longer term, to say nothing about the continued spread of Herpes, HPV, and other STDs - and whatever unknown virus/disease is lurking in the shadows.

Condoms are cheap and effective. They, not Truvada, should be at the center of any campaign for safer sex.

Posted by: Bill S. | Apr 23, 2014 12:32:08 PM

10. Bill S., the thing is we should be able to, you know, HAVE BOTH.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 23, 2014 12:38:40 PM

11. Little Kiwi, I agree that both Truvada and Condoms should be available. Making Truvada affordable is a worthy goal. But there are too many in our community who are going to use Truvada as an excuse to ditch condoms, beyond those who've already started barebacking. I've lost too many friends to count. Most died in the early 90s, when the triple drug treatment was introduced there was hope but people were still cautious. But within the last few years friends have started seroconverting and one has died. History repeats itself, and it's not a history I'd care to relive.

Posted by: Bill S. | Apr 23, 2014 12:44:35 PM

12. Well that's interesting, seeing as how CA put me on Medical last fall by accident and hasn't been willing to take me off it despite my best efforts. Guess it's time to go stock up!

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 23, 2014 1:08:40 PM

13. Lift requirement on provision of condoms... funny... I really think the whole Truvada thing is a shame. The whole health system is paying for prescription drugs for people (like me) just because they want to do it raw.

I want to be very clear: health care expenditures will increase nationwide because of this and it will ONLY be our fault. Condoms work, Truvada works, condoms are cheap, truvada is SUPER EXPENSIVE for the health care system

It should be a matter of cost-effectiveness. Truvada is not cost-effective. Condoms are.

Posted by: ElCid | Apr 23, 2014 11:14:29 PM

14. I Am Mrs Dani, [READ MY STORY. ON HOW I GOT MY AIDS CURED]. Truthfully, i was tested HIV + positive last two years. I keep on managing the drugs i usually purchase from the health care agency to keep me healthy and strengthen, i tried all i can too make this disease leave me alone, but unfortunately, it keep on eating up my life, this is what i caused myself, for allowing my fiance make sex to me unsecured without protection, although i never knew he is HIV positive. So last few 4days i came in contact with a lively article on the internet on how this Powerful healer get him well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will took my life 1 day, and i need to live with other friends and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr Adesuwa the traditional healer's email id: dradesuwahivcure@gmail.com and i mailed him immediately, in a little while he mail me back that i was welcome to his temple home were by all what i seek for are granted. I was please at that time. And i continue with him, he took some few details from me and told me that he shall get back to me as soon as he is through with my work. I was very happy as heard that from him. So Yesterday, as i was just coming from my friends house, Dr Adesuwa called me to go for checkup in the hospital and see his marvelous work that it is now HIV negative, i was very glad to hear that from him, so i quickly rush down to the nearest hospital to found out, only to hear from my hospital doctor called NEURON MOZART that i am now HIV NEGATIVE. I jump up at him with the test note, he ask me how does it happen and i reside to him all i went through with Dr Adesuwa. I am now glad, so i am a gentle type of person that need to share this testimonies to everyone who seek for healing, because once you get calm and quiet, the disease will get to finish your life off. So i will advice you contact him today for your healing at the above details: Email ID: dradesuwahivcure@gmail.com

Posted by: Dani chante | Apr 26, 2014 9:04:35 AM