News

‘The New (Reappropriated) Hanky Code’ - VIDEO

Hank2

Many of you may know or have heard of “the hanky code,” a device first used in the 70s by gay men to denote their sexual proclivities by placing a specific colored handkerchief in either the back left or right pocket.

Brace yourselves, because the code is back. But with a twist. As Justin Sayre, speaking on behalf of the board of The International Order of Sodomites, points out, instead of your preferred brand of ‘kink,’ “this time [the hanky code will be] used to talk about your damage.” Some examples? Grey means boring, yellow marks a commitment-phobe, cobalt blue signifies emotionally withholding, whereas pink will now stand for ingrained homophobia (“These are the guys that refer to you on Grindr as ‘man’ or ‘dude’ when you would prefer, ‘Her ladyship’”). Teal denotes a problem with collectibles meanwhile olive means you hate the Golden Girls (they tried to pick the ugliest color). As helpful as this new code may be, the important thing is to stay humble and self-aware:

“We ask you all to be kind when assigning colors to other people because, remember, you’ll be wearing them too. So before you start passing out the emotional unavailable and the mustard color hankies, take a look behind yourself and take a look at that amazing technicolor dreamcoat.”

Find out what color (or colors) you are, AFTER THE JUMP…

Hanky

Comments

1. I didn't find this funny at all. It COULD have been somewhat humorous had the comedian not resorted to so many queeny stereotypes during the presentation, like constantly referring to people in the audience as "girl".

I was hoping that we could actually get past that old vision of ourselves. As far as I'm concerned, this was just a completely missed opportunity. It had potential to actually be funny, laughing at some old stereotypes, showing how we've changed over time. instead, it replaced old stereotypes with slightly newer ones.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 10, 2014 11:36:56 PM

2. Loved it. LOVED it! Perfect send up. If you didn't get it, pity.

Posted by: AZXPAT | Apr 11, 2014 1:13:13 AM

3. The original hanky code is among the few countless elements of gay activity (current or former, mainstream or rare) I've described to various straight friends that left them absolutely baffled and convinced I was making it up. I've never used it, but I got it. To them it was a completely foreign idea---far more any fetish, fashion, performer, etc.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 11, 2014 1:39:07 AM

4. Absolutely disgusting - both the "performer" and "humor". It is this kind of stereotypical trash that is keeping gay men in their ghettos.

Posted by: freak | Apr 11, 2014 2:01:04 AM

5. Oh, stop clutching your pearls, ladies... it was a funny idea. The only flaw? Clearly anything to do with the Golden Girls needs to be a pastel colour, or better yet, all the pastel colours together. Maybe a pastel-coloured shoulder pad?

Posted by: graphicjack | Apr 11, 2014 2:11:31 AM

6. Oh gawd, found this hysterical! Actually did a spit take with my morning coffee over "teal means a problem with collectables". It probably helps that I'm 65. You're t-t-t-talkin' about MY generation.

Posted by: Throwslikeagirl | Apr 11, 2014 2:34:55 AM

7. This made my week! Bravo!
    Absolutely hilarious.

Posted by: Marc | Apr 11, 2014 3:03:47 AM

8. Sean, if you explain too much of the joke you lessen its impact.
    Thank you for featuring this - I love this clip.

Posted by: John | Apr 11, 2014 4:13:20 AM

9. Dat ass tho!

Posted by: litper | Apr 11, 2014 4:17:07 AM

10. He sure had me laughing. My late husband sure would have had a teal hanky. You should see my condo.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 11, 2014 4:19:50 AM

11. Used in the 70's? How about last Saturday night at an Eagle, Ramrod, Mineshaft or Manhole near you.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Apr 11, 2014 7:09:43 AM

12. What color hanky do we use for fussy queens who have to pick apart, criticize and whine about everything? Plenty of guys on this site deserve that one.

It's called humor, boys!

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 11, 2014 7:38:00 AM

13. Cute, very amusing, would like to catch more of his acts.
    My only complaint is the demo picture, could we see that view without the hankies ?

Posted by: NwYrkr | Apr 11, 2014 7:43:20 AM

14. @Jack M - "What color hanky do we use for fussy queens who have to pick apart, criticize and whine about everything?"

Orange paisley: busy, loud, and goes with absolutely nothing.

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Apr 11, 2014 7:58:53 AM

15. And Gregory in Seattle, FTW!!! :)

Posted by: Darren | Apr 11, 2014 8:42:37 AM

16. Gregory - that was perfect!

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 11, 2014 9:18:47 AM

17. The board of The International Order of Sodomites?

We would dogpile onto Brendan Eich if he used the word "sodomite". Why not this group?

Posted by: will | Apr 11, 2014 9:28:06 AM

18. I thought this was hilarious, and the people complaining here (1) don't know how to take a joke or (2) are trolls. Begone, the video was great.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Apr 11, 2014 9:39:41 AM

19. @Will - Context is everything.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Apr 11, 2014 9:41:46 AM

20. @Will - Meant to add: The Meeting (http://www.themeetingshow.com/) is a nightclub act which takes the form of an orientation meeting for new members. It parodies stereotypes in order to skewer them, and from the video clips I've seen, they do a fine job of that.

For what it is worth, Sayre (the person speaking) is himself gay. He knows full well where the boils of pretension can be found, and is an expert at lancing them.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Apr 11, 2014 9:49:49 AM

21. I thought this was really funny but I don't like the Golden Girls. :-(

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 11, 2014 10:40:30 AM

22. I though I would find this lame but I loved it. Sayre doesn't just repeat the stereotypes: he gets at the elements of truth behind them. My favorite lines:

"Because you get called 'faggot' once on the street does not make you Rosa Parks."

"You've been on that date where it's three in the morning and your date is asking for a sales pitch about an omelette and all you want to do is die."

Posted by: MichaelJ | Apr 11, 2014 11:29:57 AM

23. It's a smart concept, but I'm amazed not everyone here agrees on the humor. Consensus is mandatory!

Posted by: anon | Apr 11, 2014 12:12:38 PM

24. Me thinks Mikey needs a pink hankey.....

Posted by: Major707 | Apr 11, 2014 12:20:16 PM

25. Whether comic genius or pathetic lameness its a welcomed relief our community have 'grown-up' and moved on as a whole rather than obsessing over clone clothing accessories for identity and identification hook-ups of times gone by. It is now replaced by cell phone apps.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 11, 2014 1:29:14 PM