Barney Frank | Television | Video

Barney Frank Discusses Political Cynicism, Gay Acceptance And The Macarena With Seth Meyers: VIDEO

Seth_frank_1

Former Rep. Barney Frank spoke with late night talk show host Seth Meyers about Frank's reaction to the new documentary on his life. Frank did not share the offense he took at the film's portrayal of him. Instead he lamented the film's attitude towards politics:

"There’s an excessive degree of cynicism about politics which is unfortunately a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because people will say, 'They’re all bums, I’m not voting.' Well the bums wish you wouldn’t vote, because they’re all fine. They’re all set."

Frank also said he hopes the documentary is the anti-House of Cards, a show he considers both wrong and misleading. He additionally mentioned his pleasure at the film's depiction of gay life, especially considering society's increasing acceptance of gay people and same-sex marriage:

“By the time I retired, there was still a disparity between the popularity of being gay and the popularity of being a politician. But it had flipped and my marriage had polled better than my service as a committee chairman.”

Turns out that he also struggled with being left-handed as a child and that he also forbade line dancing and the Macarena at his wedding.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Seth_frank_2

If you enjoyed this post, please consider SHARING it on social media.

Also, please LIKE us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, and Instagram.

Comments

1. He should have become a comedian. But I don't think he's american enough to be a US politician or warrant a documentary.

Posted by: Kev C | May 1, 2014 10:01:18 PM

2. not american enough?

Posted by: luke | May 1, 2014 10:38:15 PM

3. His grandparents were born in Poland. My granddad was a native american. My ancestors came over on the Mayflower. Just because some commie palooka was born in Bayonne doesn't make them american. Barney Frank doesn't understand or respect the US Constitution to be a US representative. And it sure doesn't give him the right to push his disgusting eastern-european values onto real americans.

Posted by: Kev C | May 1, 2014 11:00:19 PM

4. The cynicism about politics that he speaks of was only increased by his participation in creating a financial meltdown and his fixing tickets for his rent boy "roommate."

If this dude is a hero we are in seriously bad shape.

Posted by: Jason MacBride | May 1, 2014 11:17:52 PM

5. And Obama is a Kenyan Anti-colonial Marxist because the father he never knew was. Polish grandparents? The nerve!

It's always surprising when ignorant teabagger wingnuts show up here, isn't it?

Posted by: emjayay | May 2, 2014 12:31:29 AM

6. Hadn't seen any of his show. Nice that Seth allows some amount of substance, but he didn't ask really critical questions. And that set is really really bad. Looks like 1980, and not in a good way.

Posted by: emjayay | May 2, 2014 12:42:52 AM

7. KEV C:
    Coming over from Great Britain doesn't entitle your ancestors and you to be "real American".
    Native American means American Indian.
    Of course Einstein was also not "real American". It is safe to say every American prefers to send you back to your home country than repatriating "the Pope of Physics" to Germany.

Posted by: simon | May 2, 2014 1:13:22 AM

8. Jason:
    The whole financial crisis started when Bush was president. Barney Frank was there but Bush and Republicans also should share the blames.

Posted by: simon | May 2, 2014 2:23:09 AM

9. Can anyone explain how he got this voice? I know, I know, there are million things I love about this man, and yes, good... but the mystery I have never understood is this voice. What is happening?

Posted by: Marc | May 2, 2014 2:23:26 AM

10. Simon, read the first paragraph of the Constitution, the preamble. Who did they found the country for?
    1) Themselves
    2) Their Posterity (their descendents)

It doesn't say east europeon or east african descendents. If your ancestors, black, white or native weren't in this country in 1776, this country is not yours.

Posted by: Kev C | May 2, 2014 2:27:41 AM

11. He is full of crap.

Voting is a complete waste of time because the system is rigged so that regardless of how you vote only 2 parties can get elected and both those parties are fully in the service of the corporations and mega-wealthy.

A democratic revolution is required in the US to overthrown the oligarchy.

Barney Frank is part of the problem.

Posted by: MaryM | May 2, 2014 3:34:36 AM

12. "Frank did not share the offense he took at the film's portrayal of him."

This sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: HJB | May 2, 2014 5:45:29 AM

13. apropos of Kev C's silly posting above, I can't for the life of me figure out what remarks of Mr Frank's represent "Eastern European values. As to having forbears who "came over on the Mayflower," that's one of the easiest claims to be made without fear of contradiction. But be that as it may, even if it be true for Kev C, the people who came over on the Mayflower included some of the most narrow-minded, puritanical, inflexible people to be found in England at the beginning of the 17th Century. So I don't know that being their descendants is something to trumpet about. On the other hand, Kev C's posting suggests that he's a worthy descendant of such people, so I guess it's all right after all. For all that, however, I don't know what's so much more meritorious or "American" about being descended from genocidal English immigrants as opposed to being the child of Polish immigrants.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | May 2, 2014 6:32:07 AM

14. Hey Dan. Nice false information. Obviously you don't know me, my family or my country. Which is probably why you don't belong here, disrespectful and dishonest pig.

Posted by: Kev C | May 2, 2014 7:56:26 AM

15. Barney Frank was a politician.

What are his bright ideas about reforming the US to turn it into a democracy rather than the oligarchy it currently is?

Posted by: MaryM | May 2, 2014 7:59:23 AM

16. Hi, I'm KEV C. I'm going to keep coming back here periodically to make sure people are still talking about me and my intentionally inflammatory posts.

Posted by: C VEK | May 2, 2014 9:32:08 AM

17. C VEK: It's time to get over yourself.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | May 2, 2014 10:12:26 AM

18. I think Frank's speech impediment is the result of hearing problems.

Posted by: anon | May 2, 2014 10:17:57 AM

19. Hi, I'm KEV C, and now I'm going to start posting as JOSEPH SINGER so I don't look like the self-absorbed troll that I really am.

Posted by: C VEK | May 2, 2014 10:28:03 AM

20. This is the shallowest group of comments I have ever seen on this site...and that is saying something. Lets see, his grandparents were immigrants so he can't be an American? This from our resident constitutional scholar and another post about his voice! Oh yes, and of course posts about how no one should bother because the country is an oligarchy anyway. Seriously what a bunch of crap!

Posted by: Liam | May 2, 2014 11:03:10 AM

21. I speak for lots of real americans and not the cheap eurotrash that came to Ellis island as gangsters and criminals looking to get rich by any means necessary. You need to know that this is how we see those fake americans.

Posted by: Kev C | May 2, 2014 11:16:01 AM

22. Seth looks like he's trying to direct cargo planes. He needs to stop waving his hands around like a fool.

Posted by: JC | May 2, 2014 12:09:42 PM

23. Love Barney Frank and everything he stands for.

Posted by: Rapidcel | May 2, 2014 12:35:33 PM

24. Unlike the CREEP Andrew Sullivan, this man has principle and stands for something. Thank you Mr.Frank for your hard work.

Posted by: Mortel | May 2, 2014 12:36:21 PM

25. Kev C:
    This country is not yours or mine. If you have a passport, then you are an American citizen. How you interpret the constitution is your problem? At least no one is going to be asked to leave if you are a legal citizen. There is no point to argue some academic question what the first paragraph of constitution is. If you think it is all yours, just dream on. No one cares.

Posted by: simon | May 2, 2014 2:28:50 PM