Catholic School Forbids Yearbook Picture Of Female Student In Tuxedo

The Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep school in San Francisco, California has removed the yearbook photo of senior student Jessica Urbina because she wore a tuxedo in her senior picture rather than the mandatory dress.

Tux_2Sacred Heart students and alumni have protested the decision using the Twitter hashtag #JessicasTux. The school’s statement to the incident says in part:

“As we prepare to pass out yearbooks it is always regretful when a student portrait is omitted for any reason. As a community we will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that all students are included in the future.”

Urbina and her family are scheduled to discuss the matter with school administrators this coming Monday.

School drama over women in tuxedos is somewhat common. In 2011, the ACLU settled a case with a Mississippi school whose yearbook excluded a tuxedoed female student. Last November, a Texas school refused and then allowed a trans student to wear a tuxedo in his yearbook photo.

Think Progress notes that school dress codes are used more often against female students rather than male ones.

Comments

1. apex says

Don’t you kinda know what you’re getting into when you go to a Catholic school? As an adult, you can make your own choices about how you dress. As a child, you kinda have to be in lock-step with what you’re parents have agreed to. As an adult on her own, she can do whatever she wants.

2. RichB in PS says

I have a high school grad photo 1986 of my daughter [encouraged by her Dad] in a tuxedo [sans the bow] not published anywhere which is proudly displayed on my home book shelf along with other family mementos.

3. JR says

Just like Adam and Eve, the Church cannot get over Roy and Silo.

No No No… not all penguins are gay.
    Please stop hating on the penguins.

Personally, I do not have a problem with a church doing this. Parents have a choice as to where to send their kids to school.

4. Retro says

“Mandatory dress” ?? … Seems like an odd requirement, since the yearbook photo doesn’t show anything below mid-chest. I guess they’re against the mere idea of pants on girls?

Anyway the perfect solution would be for her to wear a “Tuxedo Dress.” The one below was by Chanel, but it doesn’t look all that difficult to replicate on a budget:

5. Terry- Nebraska says

Why do fem gay men and butch lesbians go out of their way to dress like the other gender?

I’m a masculine gay man, and don’t feel the need to put on an act to be another gender. I may be gay but I’M A MAN. This chick may be a lesbian…..but is she not still a female?

What gives?

6. Alan says

I don’t understand why people who work for and attend Catholic schools are regularly surprised that the Church does what they say they’ll do.

7. says

And the archdiocese grows evermore out of touch with the students they have no contact with (except for the occasional inappropriate contact). Nowadays, it’s never other students objecting, and rarely even school staff or parents, it’s the men in dresses from on high.

Their choice (though not sure how a tux violates Catholic doctrine), but they’re going to lose the next generations with their stupidity.

@Terry: Are you the fashion police? Why would what this student wants to wear matter to you?

8. Jordan says

Lol at hyper masculine gays who get threatened by gays and lesbians who don’t gender conform. They are usually the biggest nelly bottoms behind closed doors. Don’t let the poser hipster beards fool you

9. Unhappy with my former school says

SHCP prides itself in being “an inclusive community of faith.” THEY ARE NOT. Just a few years ago they cleaned house and got rid of two great teachers who happened to be Gay.

I was a student there at the time. One of the teachers was a Gay African America, the other a Gay Latino, who ran the Yearbook program and taught Latin American lit. He tried to support a Straight-Gay Alliance, but even that was blasted by the principal.

The school was awful to them and fired them over the summer when we were all gone. I was expecting to have Mr X teach Magical Realism, but he was let go and screwed by the school.

When one of them adopted a kid from foster care, the principal told him not to bring the son to school because other faculty were offended.

Yes, all this crap in the City by the Bay.

10. enchantra says

It’s really time for everyday Catholics to give these priests the news: Stop being azswipes or we will stop coming to this f’d up church.

11. TonyJazz says

I feel badly about people who go to Catholic schools. If they discover that they may be gay while attending, then they are cast out like murderers….

What morality is there within Catholicism?

12. TonyJazz says

What morality is there within Catholicism?

13. stevenj says

The school admitted what it did was wrong. There was quite an uproar on campus late last week with much support for the student from other students and the community at large. This was all over SFGate. The school administrators today said they would try to get this girl’s picture in the yearbook and that they needed to grow. What would be even better is if they’d get the homophobe archbishop OUT.

14. Rexford says

To Terry in Nebraska,

The funny thing is, though, that many of the fashion and grooming trends your “masculine men” sport today would have been considered tres femme not that long ago. The one that still kills me are these hyper masculine types who wear diamond stud earrings in both ears. Grandma would’ve killed for a pair of rocks like that!

It sounds like you just want to blend in with the crowd. Not everyone dresses to please others.

15. MMcI says

Perhaps sharing a personal anecdote can answer a few of the questions above. In the town where I grew up, the public school went on strike and the students were at least a half a year behind the private and parochial school students, and the public curriculum was not as challenging or rigorous to begin with. The nearest private school was three times more expensive than the nearest parochial school, which also happened to be well-known for good teachers and an excellent advanced track for gifted students. For my parents, this was an easy choice, and they worked hard to pay the tuition and give me this advantage (thanks mom and dad!). HOWEVER, I didn’t know I was gay when I transferred in (5th grade), and years later hiding my light under a closet shaped bushel was hard and painful. Despite that, I still think they made the best choice they could for my best chance in life.