FOX News Contributor Says Comments on Santa Barbara Killer’s Gay Impulses Were ‘Misunderstood’

Ludwig

Reality tv psychoterapist Dr. Robi Ludwig, who over the weekend made the baseless claim that Santa Barbara shooter Elliot Rodger may have gone on his deadly rampage because he couldn’t cope with his “homosexual impulses,” has now taken to Facebook to try and clarify those remarks made on Fox News.

Writes Ludwig:

I was misunderstood on @FoxNews this weekend, when I was asked to hypothesize several factors which could have triggered ‪#‎ElliotRoger‬ 's spree killing. I in NO way meant to indicate being a homosexual or having homosexual impulses is a cause for spree killing. My job on @judgejeanine was to asses several possible triggers for #ElliotRoger and his behavior ‪#‎peace‬ ‪#‎forequalrights‬ However, I apologize to all those who felt offended. That was never my intention.

Basically she’s just sorry if her groundless speculation led audiences to also speculate on her lack of professionalism and intelligence. That was never her intention.

Comments

1. BETTY says

Wasn’t one of the things he was angry about was the fact that he was a virgin and mad at the women who turned him down and the men they ended up dating? That makes him possibly gay? Whatever lady.

2. Kip says

Malpractice. Whatever licensing board regulates this idiot should take action against her. Celebrity therapists are pretty obviously anti-socials themselves, exploiting their profession for money and status but mostly attention. “PsycoTERipist” indeed. She is a disgrace to a honorable profession.

3. BETTY says

“I apologize to all those who felt offended”…how about you apologize for speculating on theories that are baseless? Just don’t throw out “what ifs” at the wall and see what sticks. Wait for the facts!

4. KMT says

It’s Elliot Rodger not Elliot Rogers. She can’t even get the guy’s name right and people are supposed to take her seriously?

Oh and it’s assess not asses. This woman is clearly not the brightest bulb in the pack.

5. Caleb in SC says

Agreed on all accounts. These commentators, who are licensed by their respective states, who say such ridiculous statements, without having any more information than is what is on the news reports, should have their licenses stripped. That is not the way to build up your practice!

6. anon says

If she is so much for equal rights, why does she insist on using the term “homosexual” instead of the preferred term, gay?

7. Bernie says

and, if Robi had said this as a caveat before she “, she wouldn’t be apologizing because I happen to think that IF Elliot Rodger did have conflicted feelings about his sexuality, it could have been a trigger in his rageful murder spree and that is a lot different than saying “gay impulses”

8. ratbastard says

After completely reading his manifesto, I’ve changed my mind;he was paranoid schizophrenic, he was most likely a malignant narcissist/psychopath + high functioning autistic.He wasn’t human, he was a monster.Obviously, there are people who were aware of this and the danger he presented, too bad he wasn’t in a situation where he posed no danger to anyone. It’s obvious his socioeconomic status and connected family protected him from the harsh reality a middle class or worse poor boy would have been dealt, under similar circumstances. The cops certainly would have been less kind and forgiving. I guess it pays to be pretty, soft spoken, rich, and polite.

9. Mike says

Here’s a theory I would like the esteemed therapist to think about: maybe news outlets like Fox are the problem. You know, these right wing organizations that get everyone worked up about guns, and then they go out and idolize gun nuts who make ridiculous statement about “good guys with guns.” They canonize murderers like Zimmerman who took the law into his own hands with a gun. They glorify the criminally insane like Bundy who advocate armed rebellion against the United States. Maybe it’s not the gays, but instead the wing nuts who think that the solution to every problem is more guns. And then there’s Fox, putting them in front of the camera to spew their lunacy. I guess it’s easier to blame the gays than it is to actually look at why our society thinks every problem is solved with a firearm.

10. Mike says

11. shanestud says

She is a “psychotherapist”…not a certified Clinical Psychologist nor a Psychiatrist. Anyone can be a “psychotherapist” or a life coach or a counselor. And you don’t have to go to university.

12. Steve H says

It seems like they throw their hate screeds out knowing it will do the damage they want it to. If there’s enough backlash then they trot out their prefab apology piece so they can deny their true intention. I’m sort of surprised she didn’t try to work Benghazi in somehow.

It really gets boring but these creeps have that Energizer thing going somehow.

13. Randy says

Her doctorate was obtained from a university that is only accredited by the “Distance Education and Training Council”. LOL!

14. jamal49 says

Listen, Robi, you are a blond, bimbo wench and your “apologies” are not accepted. I watched that FOX segment and you sure as hell DID imply that that wretched loser acted out his violence based on his “homosexual impulses”. For the record, b*tch, “homosexual” ain’t what I am or any of the other millions of gay men and lesbians. We’re human beings first and everything else is icing on the cake. You are a sunt for saying what you said and stop trying to deny that you didn’t mean what you said. I wish you every bit of malice my dark heart can muster. A curse on you, Robi, dear. May your career tank and your breasts fall off. Go f*ck yourself and that miserable “news” channel you shill for.

15. UGH says

Yeah, that’s it JAMAL49, words like that won’t let her play the “gay bully” card now!

16. woody says

“i apologize to all those who felt offendend.”
    how about owning it and saying, “i apologize for offending people.”

17. Alex says

Her “PhD” is from a correspondence school.
    It’s worthless, as are her opinions.

18. PerfectlyGoodAtIt says

These are the actions of an I’m-not-sorry-to-say RADICAL anti-gay ACTIVIST with an AGENDA.

In my view her aim was to plant a seed in society the exact notion she says she didn’t aim to in this post : “I in NO way meant to indicate being a homosexual or having homosexual impulses is a cause for spree killing.” That is EXACTLY what she aimed to do. And she DID.

Coming out a day or two later to say that’s not what she meant is PART-OF-THE-PLAN. The seed has been planted and those who bought into her suggestion will just think she was “bullied” by the “gay mafia/gestapo” into recanting.

The damage is done. Mission accomplished.

My answer to all this: Class action defamation lawsuit. She should lose her license.

19. WTFEver says

Dude WASN’T Gay! He was an Aspie WITH Psychological Issues!
    It’s Very Unfortunate WHEN mentally-Ill people SNAP, But “Blaming-the fags” has gotten More-Than-Sickening!

20. WTF-Ever says

Dude WASN’T Gay! He was an Aspie WITH Psychological Issues!

21. will says

Oh, please. Give this woman a break. Yes, her remarks were a little reckless, but then WE routinely are reckless here when we assess, reassess, deconstruct, speculate, and hypothesize about what this celebrity did or didn’t mean with a seemingly gay remark — or fragment of a remark — or how this or that straight celebrity is secretly closeted, on the down low. We are all about gossip and innuendo — and, anyway, this “reporter’s” comments were too innocuous to be considered homophobic or to get unduly worked up about.

It’s been a slow news weekend.

22. will says

Andy: what were the ratings for last night’s “The Normal Heart”? I can’t find that anywhwere and I’d be interested to know. And we’ve had no thread for reactions.

23. BETTY says

WILL: are you kidding me? There are so many things wrong with your post. The last sentence: “It’s been a slow news weekend” is insulting to the people who were killed by this person. It’s not a “slow news” weekend when someone goes on a killing spree and it’s wall-to-wall coverage on the news channels.

24. will says

I meant what I said. It’s not a big deal if a psychotherapist goes on national television defaming gays, suggesting that same-sex desire is indicative of spree-killing. I mean, so many people believe that gays are worst than terrorists, and this just feeds into that, but who cares, right?

It’s ok because there are disembodied voices in comments sections that speculate all the time, and that’s the same as a licensed psychotherapist going on tv and spreading fear and hate of gays. Same thing.

25. John B. says

Seriously? I’m pretty sure that my making comments anonymously in the comments section of somebody’s blog is quite a bit different from somebody going on the national news and providing an opinion as some kind of “expert” in their field.

But heck, if it’s the same thing, I’m definitely not getting the exposure I deserve!

26. Richard says

The right wing is becoming desperately unhinged. We used to be held responsible for just bad weather and undermining straight marriage, now it’s gun violence.

27. zeddy says

She’s misunderstood because she’s on a news channel and supposedly supposed to explain what’s going on in the world, not putting their own spin on it. Oh wait, outs faux news.

28. Gregory in Seattle says

How to make a Faux Noize “retraction”:

1. Open mouth.
    2. Exchange feet.
    3. Chew vigorously.

29. reggie777 says

If she didn’t mean to imply a connection, then don’t make it. Too late to pull back from your comment. “Apology” NOT accepted.

30. You're Irritating says

NONE OF YOU DUMBFUCKS APOLOGIZE WHEN A BLACK PERSON MAKES AN “ALLEGED” HOMOPHOBIC REMARK AND YOU TURN AROUND AND USE RACISTS REMARKS TOWARDS THEM? AND THERE ARE QUITE A FEW OF YOU WHO DO THIS!!!! THIS IS WHY PEOPLE SAY THERE A “GAY AGENDA” BECAUSE ANYTHING SAID IS ALWAYS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT SENDING SOME OF YOU PUSSY WILLOW GEEKS INTO A FRENZY!

31. Sean Maloney says

I hypothesize that women who use Botox and bleach their hair have Joan Rivers impulses.

32. TANK says

I think that this so-called Dr. Ludwig has issues with gay people because she really wants to be a man but isn’t courageous enough to take the steps to do it. She comes across as self-hating, opinionated, and obnoxious. Hey, maybe she should look into becoming a regular commenter here on Towleroad, LOL!

33. Jack M says

It’s OK, honey. If anyone appears on Faux News, we sane people ignore them altogether.

34. Rich says

I saw the clip. There is no room for “misunderstanding” her comments. She clearly blamed the shootings on the shooters homosexual impulses.

35. benjamin thomas says

such sadness.

i can’t convey my sadness.

really? a woman? so much
    sadness.

wait till the repugnacunts
    go for her uterus.

and present her with 70% of
    what a man would garner.

i ain’t worried, they won’t
    be able to understand some of
    the words i used.