Glenn Greenwald Calls Hillary Clinton ‘Corrupted’, Says She’s ‘Like A Neocon’

Glenn Greenwald, the openly gay American journalist who has doggedly reported on the National Security Agency’s continued illegal surveillance of American and international citizens, recently slammed presumptive presidential candidate Hillary Clinton during interviews for his upcoming book, calling her “banal, corrupted, drained of vibrancy and passion… a f–king hawk and like a neocon.”

GlennDuring his interview with GQ, Greenwald said:

“Hillary is banal, corrupted, drained of vibrancy and passion. I mean, she’s been around forever, the Clinton circle. She’s a f–king hawk and like a neocon, practically. She’s surrounded by all these sleazy money types who are just corrupting everything everywhere. But she’s going to be the first female president, and women in America are going to be completely invested in her candidacy. Opposition to her is going to be depicted as misogynistic, like opposition to Obama has been depicted as racist. It’s going to be this completely symbolic messaging that’s going to overshadow the fact that she’ll do nothing but continue everything in pursuit of her own power. They’ll probably have a gay person after Hillary who’s just going to do the same thing.

I hope this happens so badly, because I think it’ll be so instructive in that regard. It’ll prove the point. Americans love to mock the idea of monarchy, and yet we have our own de facto monarchy. I think what these leaks did is, they demonstrated that there really is this government that just is the kind of permanent government that doesn’t get affected by election choices and that isn’t in any way accountable to any sort of democratic transparency and just creates its own world off on its own.”

His upcoming book is called No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State.

Comments

1. crashops says

*shrug* He’s mostly right but she’s the best option we’ll get in 2016. What he’s wrong about is the cynical ‘opponents depicted as misogynist, just as Obama’s are depicted as racist.’ Obama has some genuine critics on the left but most of the racism is very real and the misogyny will be real too, count on it.
    Anyway, cue the misinformed “he’s a libertarian troll” posts.

2. james street james says

He sounds like a very bitter Republican!

Eight years of Obama, followed by eight with Hillary, and THEN eight years of a GAY president!!

From his lips to god’s ears, if there is one.

3. Hey Darlin' says

Speaking of American Monarchy, wasn’t the Bush family backpedalling away from statements that America didn’t deserve another Bush family president and looking to give us another round.

4. arch says

I don’t agree that women will simply buy into a Hilary Clinton presidency.

As a brit old enough to remember Maggie Thatcher I can assure you that there were planty of women in the UK (including apparently the Queen) who had a very healthy distrust of Thatcher.

I think that Greenwald is doing american women a great disservice by thinking that they will simply roll over and cry “Way to go Hilary”, politics isn’t actually like that. In fact it will be the women who will probably suss her out if she goes off the rails like Greenwald expects.

So I’m afraid that Mr Greenwald’s comments do actually look a wee bit sexist about how women (bless their little cotton wool heads) will assess Clinton H. Do’t assume that they will vote for her because she is a she; remember all those gay republicans that no one can explain ??

5. says

He IS a bitt Republican. A Ron Paul acolyte in fact ( like his poolboy Snowden) IOW a racist.

There are all sorts of reasons for not believing tat Hillary Clinton is “all That.” But there are even more reasons for disregarding Roy Cohn Jr.

6. Kenneth says

Not entirely untrue, but as usual, not even the slightest hint that he has a better alternative. Mitt? Jeb? Paul Sr or Jr? I think not!!! We need Elizabeth Warren, but for very obvious reasons, that ain’t going to happen.

7. Zell says

Glenn Greenwald isn’t a racist, David Ehrenstein, but thanks for proving his point.

Actually, I used to have a lot of respect for what Greenwald did, and I still do, mostly, but he’s become unbearable lately, particularly in regards to Islam. He charges people with calling Obama’s legitimate critics “racist” and Hillary’s “sexist” but he cries “Islamophobia” at anyone who even obliquely criticizes a Muslim, particularly Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennet. Greenwald also can come across as a smug, insufferable ass, even to those who agree with him, which doesn’t win him any supporters.

As far as Hillary Clinton goes, I actually like her in spite of myself, and I hope she gets elected and does well. I do have suspicions, as Greenwald does, that she’s kind of a tool for Wall Street, and I would much prefer Elizabeth Warren, but I hope Clinton proves me wrong.

8. Omar says

What is he so upset about? Was there a time when politicians were not money grubbing and cunning? I have been a Hillary supporter since Bill’s first term and do believe she has the interests of the “regular” American somewhere in her chest cavity. This is in addition to her grit, balls and smarts.

Warren is a fine politician but could never win at the top of the ticket. A VP? I would love that. And yes, I know they said Obama could never win either.

9. Derwood says

What a sleeze and a hack. He is so obsessed with keeping his name in the spotlight; he’ll say anything. One classic example of a person really messed up by society (that’s about as close as I can come to giving this guy a pass for what he has done). Go run away to your dream country (whereever that is). Please jaywalk and get hit by a car and just go away. You are a bad gay and a bad person.

10. atomic says

If the only way you can attack his position is to criticize his haircut like the superficial bitchy queen that you are, then you’ve already lost.

I’m not defending his criticisms nor am I defending Hilary Clinton. I am solely interested in investigating the extent to which his claims have merit, and that’s what others should do as well, without partisan bias.

I think the larger point is being overlooked here, which is that the US government has been hijacked by plutocrats. Democrat or Republican, whichever you choose, there’s really less and less of a meaningful difference with regard to foreign policy and its consequences for domestic surveillance, because these things are being driven by corporate interests. On social issues, the nation is polarized because either way, the moneyed don’t care–it gives the convenient illusion of choice for the voting public, and distracts them from paying more attention to the underlying corruption eating away at the whole system. On this, I think Greenwald is correct.

The problem, as I see it, is that under this current situation, we are still without any real choice. We will nevertheless vote for Hilary because of her stance on social issues like gay rights. But she’s not going to dismantle the NSA any more than a Republican would. And that’s what worries me: the idea that, no matter how often someone points out that the system is corrupt on both sides, it changes nothing because we are locked in, courtesy of those who have the real power–the wealthy.

11. enchantra says

“Opposition to her is going to be depicted as misogynistic, like opposition to Obama has been depicted as racist. ”

I hate it when I agree with Glenn Greenwald. Other than that, he’s a POS who needs to go back to whatever country his communist grandparents were thrown out of.

12. enchantra says

Hillary Clinton came out for gun confiscation last week. She has now lost the entire white male vote and a third of the white female vote. She cannot win unless the GOP runs Santorum/Palin.

13. PeteP says

Watched Greenwald on Colbert last night. Loved how Greenwald tried to blame the NY Times for Snowden’s release of information regarding the United States’ spying on foreign governments. Nice try buddy. That information had nothing to do with spying on US citizens and its release has damaged US security. You don’t get to blame a newspaper for writing about classified documents that you hand them.

14. anon says

I think he’s spending too much time out of the country to get a proper perspective. There were few racist charges in the last two elections and Hillary already lost to Obama, so her election is not guaranteed and no one called Obama misogynistic. In that sense his argument does not hold water. At to corruption. Yes, the Clinton fundraising group is a collection of big money cronies and acolytes that the country would be better off without. The idea was to create a political fundraising machine on an international scale, but it ran into the old Chicago political machine in the form of Obama. It’s not clear how much of the Clinton machine is still in operation or how effective it is after all this time.

15. Randy says

The problem with the US is the absurd voting system which makes it next to impossible for voters to grow new parties.

Look at the “Tea Party”… it had to parasite off the Republicans, and will probably doom them both.

“Occupy” never had a chance, being itself taken over by various opportunists.

16. Red says

Gawd, I cannot STAND Glen Greenwald and Edward Snowden. Let both of them rot in Russia where Putin demonstrates daily how much he LOVES the gays. Greenwald and Snowden are nothing but anti-Obama Libertarian hypocrites.