Boston | Deval Patrick | Gay Pride | News

Gov. Deval Patrick and Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence Named Boston’s 2014 Pride Parade Grand Marshals

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 9.55.06 AM

Boston Pride has announced that Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, along with drag activist troup Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, will serve as Grand Marshals for the upcoming 2014 Pride Parade.

The Rainbow Times reports:

“We are excited to announce Governor Deval Patrick as a Grand Marshal this year as it will be his last year in the Governor’s office.  We are honored to have him as Grand Marshal to celebrate his accomplishments and thank him for his unwavering support of the LGBT community,” said Boston Pride President Sylvain Bruni. “Also, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence have had a significant impact as a charitable organization in the LGBT community with their activism for LGBT and human rights. With their work, both Marshals have embodied the Pride’s mission of inclusion and diversity, and we are grateful to have them as part of our celebration.”

Boston Pride Week 2014 will be held from June 6th through June 15th. This year’s theme is “Be Yourself, Change the World.”

More information and details can be found at www.bostonpride.org.

Comments

1. Another Pride parade that will portray gay men as a bunch of gender-confused freaks.

Great.

Thank goodness most people--both gay and straight--nowadays just ignore these freak shows for the pathetic displays of mental illness that they have become.

Posted by: Rick | May 20, 2014 12:15:30 PM

2. WOOHOO!

As Pride celebrations are about being who we are, in the way we choose to be, without caring what a hateful bigot would think, this is of course utterly perfect.

What pride does is empower you to be who you are, in any way you choose to celebrate who you are, and not give a white what the idiots of the world may choose to think or say. Which is why the gay men who avoid pride and denigrate it are always the least-empowered males in our communities.

Every time a gay man denigrates pride what he's really saying is "I never learned how to stand up to my anti-gay family" - which is sad, as a great many people who *do* march in the parades came from similarly hateful and bigoted families. They, however, found a proactive way to rise about the circumstances of their home life - and represent who they are.

Ever marched? the people on the sidelines cheering and shouting love at you - its' amazing. hours of unconditional love from complete strangers, cheering you on. When you march, it really changes you. Some of you haters should try it. It might be the thing that finally makes you stop hating being gay so very much.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 20, 2014 12:24:40 PM

3. My gay marches were fist in the air, more militant events - strong chants--and big shock value for the side liners. Kiwi overstates what I find to be a dated and embarrassing spectacle today. It has evolved into a more "who cares?" event. He lingers on the "hate yourself for being gay" cliche. If you've never marched you might, but it's Kiwi's self-righteous tone I find so amusing. He said he knew of my brother, but I never heard a word.

Duval Patrick is "Obama-Lite."

Posted by: Gary Bebout | May 20, 2014 12:50:32 PM

4. Thank you, Kiwi.

I thought I was going to have to respond to him but you did. Thanks.

But I can't help it. He gave me the perfect set up for a punch line when he said:

"....just ignore these freak shows for the pathetic displays of mental illness that they have become."

Yep, that's way Towleroad visitors should respond to YOUR comments.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 20, 2014 12:53:19 PM

5. The surest sign Deval is not running for higher office. This would be used against him to portray him as an anti-Christian radical bigot if he ran for higher office.

Posted by: Luke | May 20, 2014 12:55:42 PM

6. Bebout - someone else's sense of pride and security in themselves should not be a source of insecurity and shame for YOU.

it just makes you a petty and sad little man.

I'm glad you find my self-righteous tone amusing. I'm self-righteous enough to not feel embarrassed because someone else is representing themselves in a way that makes them happy. I'm too arrogant for that type of insecurity - and thank God.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 20, 2014 12:57:33 PM

7. And one more thing.

I used to be into tough "street thug" types (idiot that I was). Now, I'm attracted to educated "nerd" types because I think that Deval Patrick is absolutely sexy--just like the President (Obama-Lite, as Gary said).

I don't know. I guess I got old and I'm afraid of tough street thugs now. (I'm not giving up my money for some damn ding dong)

Yep, I'll let you young queens deal with the tough street "trade." Y'all have the energy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 20, 2014 1:12:10 PM

8. "Only a completely closeted coward with no testicles and no spine would have a problem with this."

erm, no kiwi. it's not that black and white. but thanks again for your insufferable self-righteousness. you never disappoint.

Posted by: jaker | May 20, 2014 1:19:33 PM

9. and you always do ;-)

by all means, explain why you're upset by the sisters of perpetual indulgence. and to totally-utterly show me up, make your comment from a place of visibility.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 20, 2014 1:30:43 PM

10. Kiwi: Believe me there is no shame or insecurity for me. Good for gays who are helped by this. But my generation displayed much more balls about it. That's the real problem. You were born too late and missed a time that would have better suited your cliche liberal drivel. Thank God we have you now, as a moral compass. I was out there when it really had an impact. Save your "sad" insults, because now I don't bother to care, but I will always respond.

Posted by: Arrow | May 20, 2014 1:30:48 PM

11. The "sisters" have helped generate more anti-gay fear and hatred in the world than almost anyone else alive today. Video of their acting out is shown in Catholic countries in Eastern Europe and in Africa and is used to justify severe repression, including the isolation and eradication of gay youth.

But they don't care. It feels good to act out and get attention, so they do it. No limits, no cares, no responsibility for anything! There is a term to describe this, and the term is pathological selfishness. If I believed in a hell, I would wish every single person involved with this group to go there.

Posted by: Viktor M. | May 20, 2014 1:32:38 PM

12. They should have me instead to accompany the sister. May be not. They may think we are two lesbians.

Posted by: rick | May 20, 2014 1:35:40 PM

13. Kiwi: I signed that one Arrow to test if you're are preparing your response before your really read the entire post.

Posted by: Bebout | May 20, 2014 1:36:26 PM

14. Oh, for God's sake. There are some LGBT people who simply have no desire to conform to society's view of what is "proper" gender role behavior. People who refuse to conform. It's the same in every ethnic/racial/ethnic/sexual orientation group.

We AINT interested in being like the majority!!!!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 20, 2014 1:43:08 PM

15. Crazies - as one who marches every year, and sees the smiles and the tears of joy in the faces of the people who line the route, and sees the way that first-time Marching PFLAG parents are utterly changed, for the better, by marching....I stand by my words. :)

Of course you older guys paved the way - that's why I continue to do it, even when you're too tired to :)

I don't know what my "cliche liberal drivel" is, though. That sounds like troll-speak for "stop being more empowered than me", frankly.

My parents have pics from the pride parade they attended in San Fran in 1978 - (four years before i was conceived). it looked a lot like the parades we have today. :)

look at Viktor - for example, who blames brave gay people for ignorant anti-gay people's hatred. Viktor is a coward who lays blame on the wrong people. Many insecure gay men do this.

rathen than wishing ignorant bigots to hell, he wishes proud defiant openly-gay people to hell. why? because he's an intellectually-stunted dunce, that's why.

And you posted as Arrow because you're a crazy person who can't be visible and got confused. Duh.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 20, 2014 1:44:48 PM

16. VIKTOR:
    This is called stereotyping. Hitler has used it before to demonize the Jews. The problem was not with the Jews. The problem is with people who are upset about every trivial matter.

Posted by: simon | May 20, 2014 1:53:13 PM

17. AMEN SIMON. Yeah, blame the drag queens, don't blame the bigoted Catholic leaders who are screaming about gays while raping children, eh?

their hatred existed before drag queens, and drag queens will outlast their hatred. as it should be :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 20, 2014 1:56:00 PM

18. I've attended the SF Pride Parade for 25 years. I've marched in a few and volunteered for a few also. Yes some were more political than others and some were more for fun.

The SF Sisters (the originals), were always there, helpful, boisterous, often banal, always righteous, never unsurprising. They have done the work for our community and no one has a better right to parade for their and our pride.

The right wing has always misinterpreted our message because it suits their evil view. I will never shape my behavior so they can find nothing to misinterpret, to do so would require all of us to hide back in the closet, and that's the only thing that they want.

Posted by: StevyD | May 20, 2014 1:58:57 PM

19. My life is not being gay. I live in Los Angeles America in 2014. There are other world issues that concern me. Your points are understood, as they are often repetitive. You are a valuable cog in the wheel, but I've got to get back on the Freeway. :)

Posted by: Bebout | May 20, 2014 2:05:11 PM

20. AMEN STEVYD! a brother who GETS IT

and even then, should we all "shape our behavior so they can find nothing to misinterpret", know what they'd do anyway? move goalposts and make something up!

heck - they freaked out because a man kissed his boyfriend after making pro sports, and American, history!

know this - there are no reasons for hateful bigotry, only excuses. excuses are what one gives when they can't give a legitimate intelligent reason for their feelings. excuses are not to be given weight or worth.

StevyD, i could kiss you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 20, 2014 2:08:21 PM

21. I don't care about how people would perceive the "Sisters." I myself find their act tired, sacrilegious, stereotypical, profane, and stupid. I wouldn't want to be associated with them in anyway.

Posted by: Luke | May 20, 2014 2:21:39 PM

22. I don't think they want to be associated with wusses like yourself, Luke, who still clutch their pearls of "sacrilege", while spelling it wrong. Idiot.

Posted by: Contrarian | May 20, 2014 2:38:47 PM

23. I don't quite get Viktor's logic. Should anything that can be used by the craziest edge of humanity to rationalize the violence and hatred in their deformed hearts be avoided by the 99.97% rest of the world? What utter hogwash.

The Sisters are a great choice for grand marshal. Deval Patrick even more so. I wish (my local) Pride celebrations had more of the oomph of yesteryear - or that I imagine of yesteryear. And I cynically feel too many in my WeHo town see the event as just another excuse to get drunk in the streets.

With all the Dominoes falling, it's a fantastic time for Pride celebrations. I hope more than a few here in L.A., there in Massachusetts, and everywhere in between take that to heart this year.

Posted by: Zlick | May 20, 2014 2:39:28 PM

24. Hey "Brothers." If I had known all my 70's militant "empowerment," would lead to gay hetero lifestyle replication, I might not have bothered. And who's the fortunate winner of Kiwi's approval today?
    He's our trusty mascot.

Posted by: Bebout | May 20, 2014 2:49:07 PM

25. Zlick,

Did I say any of that? No.

What I said was that these guys don't really care what message they send or what effect it has on other people, including vulnerable people around the world. Even after they have actual knowledge that their outlandish performances are being used to whip up fear and hatred not among a tiny few, but among tens of millions of Russians, Lithuanians, Georgians, Ugandans, and Nigerians, and to hurt others in terrible ways, they don't care. And it is not like they are saying anything that couldn't be expressed in a less harmful way.

But they don't care. It is more important for them to have fun than to care for others. This is pathological selfishness.

Posted by: Viktor M. | May 20, 2014 3:35:59 PM