Brunei | Jay Leno | Los Angeles | News

Jay Leno Joins Protest Outside Beverly Hills Hotel Against Brunei's Anti-Gay 'Death by Stoning' Law: VIDEO

Jean

A major protest was held on Monday outside the Beverly Hills Hotel in support of what's become a very large boycott against Dorchester Hotels, which are owned by the Sultan of Brunei, over his implementation of an anti-gay law which punishes homosexual acts with death by stoning.

Jay Leno was among the celebrities attending the demonstration, Variety reports:

“What year is this? 1814? Come on people, it’s 2014,” said Jay Leno, before some four dozen protesters with banners directed at the Sultan, including one that read, “Seriously, dude?”

“Evil flourishes when good people do nothing, and that is pretty much what this is,” Leno said at the rally, adding that the issue should hardly be divisive but was a matter of “common sense.”

The paper adds:

At the rally speakers that condemned the Sultan included Leno, wife Mavis, the Feminist Majority’s Kathy Spiller and Eleanor Smeal, labor activist Dolores Huerta and Lorri Jean of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. The event was held at Will Rogers Park, just across the street from the hotel, with speakers set up before a bank of a dozen news cameras and with the hotel’s iconic logo as a backdrop.

Jean denounced religion as a justification for violence abroad and here in the U.S.

Watch her fiery speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Other high-profile figures and organizations boycotting the hotel chain are Sir Richard Branson, actor Stephen Fry, designers Peter Som and Brian Atwood , Ellen DeGeneres, Sharon Osbourne, director William Friedkin, and the Outgiving conference.

Comments

1. I didn't expect this of Leno. What a pleasant surprise! I'm glad this boycott is gaining some traction.

Posted by: Charles in DC | May 6, 2014 7:59:00 AM

2. I always assumed Leno was more of a casual supporter so this surprised me as well. Good for him.

Posted by: Leo | May 6, 2014 8:31:38 AM

3. This is great because between Leno and DeGeneres, those hotels have lost two of the most often used hosts of their ballrooms for events (charity, foundation, awards.)

Posted by: unruly | May 6, 2014 9:03:49 AM

4. Isn't the Sultan of Brunei one of the richest people in the world.

Aside from his hotels what other businesses is he involved in?

Has there been an international arrest warrant issued for his crimes against humanity.

Posted by: MaryM | May 6, 2014 9:10:14 AM

5. Go Jay! He is willing to have all his drinks watered down in the bar. That's what he had to give up.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | May 6, 2014 10:11:37 AM

6. I never really respected Jay Leno...this has really shifted my opinion of him. Good on you, sir.

Posted by: Dback | May 6, 2014 10:28:23 AM

7. I think he is enjoying the new found independence that he now has, no longer being a pawn of NBC, or anyone else.

Posted by: acorlando | May 6, 2014 11:03:31 AM

8. Well, I'm surprised but now that he's a private citizen more or less maybe he feels free to be more open about his politics. Thanks, Jay. We need good people like you to help us expose the perfidy of muslim and christian extremism against LGBT people worldwide.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 6, 2014 11:08:56 AM

9. Oddly, the Sultan of Brunei enacted these Sharia laws as part of a series of small democratic reforms! They were on the list of popular laws people wanted enacted. However, there was also a lot of pressure from religious leaders in the country to pass them. Considering how he rules over a vast number of native tribesmen and non-Muslims, I can't see how majority rule here is such a great idea though.

Posted by: anon | May 6, 2014 11:30:53 AM

10. Yes, the Sultan of Brunei is one of the richest men in the world. OIL money. He owns many, many businesses around the world. I wonder why they are picking on this very gay-friendly hotel. I suppose it's because it's an easy drive.

Posted by: Adam | May 6, 2014 1:37:08 PM

11. Well this certainly changes my opinion on Leno. I always believed he was a homophobe. But, I appreciate his efforts here immensely and thank him for his efforts.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | May 6, 2014 5:20:30 PM