DOMA | Edie Windsor | Gay Marriage | News | Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Justice Ginsburg Calls Edie Windsor ‘Such A Well-Chosen Plaintiff’

GinsburgSupreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a badass. I know because last March, I had the privilege of witnessing the oral arguments in United States v. Windsor and will forever remember her quip that with DOMA in place, the U.S. effectively had two kinds of marriage in place: "there’s full marriage and then there’s sort of skim milk marriage”

In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Ginsburg was asked to give her thoughts on the public’s reaction to that landmark case and the cultural shift towards greater public support for marriage equality.

Said Ginsburg:

The reaction to Windsor I think has been positive from the public. She was such a well-chosen plaintiff. People could understand the injustice of the way she was treated. I haven’t seen a social change that rapid in – ever. It’s just great that people who for years have been disguising what they were are now free to be what they are.

When asked why the court ruled narrowly in the case and didn’t address the bigger question of whether state laws could deny marriage to same-sex couples, Ginsburg responded:

You saw the way the court disposed of the California case. The court generally moves in small steps rather than in one giant step. I think Thurgood Marshall’s litigation is a good example of that. For years he was not arguing that ‘separate but equal’ had to go [but rather attacking segregation incrementally]. Then, then when he had all the building blocks in place, he could bring the Brown litigation.

Ginsburg also said the numerous court cases working their way through the system that have used the Windsor ruling to strike down restrictions on gay marriage are an “inevitable next step on the part of people who [are] trying to promote a greater understanding.”

You can check out her full interview HERE, in which she goes on to give her thoughts on President Obama, congressional gridlock, the Affordable Care Act, and officiating gay marriages.

Comments

1. I love and respect her. May she live a long and healthy life, and may we get more like her on the court.

Posted by: kdknyc | May 2, 2014 8:07:35 PM

2. She's wonderful but she needs to retire NOW! We can't afford to gamble with the possibility that a Republican wins the presidency in 2016 and gives the majority to the likes of Scalia and Thomas.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 2, 2014 8:29:45 PM

3. I'm glad she's so pleased with her influence, blindly screwing over mankind by equating human rights with sexual perversion--making a mockery of procreation--the key to human survival.

Posted by: JC | May 2, 2014 10:19:42 PM

4. Are you perfet in God's eyes there JC?

Posted by: EYEROLL | May 2, 2014 10:56:48 PM

5. In the "Eyes of Laura Mars" I am.

Posted by: JC | May 2, 2014 11:16:13 PM

6. "God is a concept, by which we measure our pain." - John Lennon

Posted by: Arrow | May 3, 2014 12:08:58 AM

7. It's awful to have to suggest that someone end their career ahead of when they might like to do so, but as stated above... it is essential that Prez Obama gets to nominate a more liberal judge.

Just look at the awful decisions we've already had with things like Citizens United. It would be terrible if we had another Scalia, Thomas, Alito, even Roberts.

Posted by: pete n sfo | May 3, 2014 12:51:31 AM

8. Maybe she's waiting to see who's running against Hillary (if) so she can guage their chances. At her age she could die at any time actually. I'm sure she has given all this stuff a lot of thought. But Mitt could have won, she would still be there, and there's no way she could last two terms if he got reelected, so she was taking a chance with the future of the country.

Posted by: emjayay | May 3, 2014 2:02:11 AM

9. Putting the future of the country in the hands of one person is always a safe bet, wouldn't you say?

Posted by: Gavel | May 3, 2014 2:16:22 AM

10. She holds a decisive vote.
    It that went to another religion obsessed freak like an Alito or a Scalia, progress would be doomed for a generation. (What's with the Italians ?)

But she knows better than anyone what's at stake. She will have considered every nuance of retiring and being replaced. I'd be surprised if she hadn't even made suggestions.
    But what I earnestly hope for is that she has compiled notes and observations and anecdotes and accounts of all the encounters with her colleagues, the acrimonious and the benign, the petty and the malevolent........
    I want to read that book.
    I want to read about the sly Alito and the worthless Thomas, the old white dude anger of Scalia, the tokenism of Roberts.
    I wish Justice Ginsberg a long life in retirement.....she can yet to a great service for the liberals.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 3, 2014 3:19:40 AM

11. I agree with some of the other commenters on here.

This court is vile and has made astoundingly regressive decisions that will haunt our nation for decades but it could be even worse unless she retires NOW.

She's done a great service for this country but the possible consequences are too dire for her to wait for the 2016 nomination prospects any longer.

She's smart though - I'm cautiously optimistic her timing will work out.

Posted by: Leo | May 3, 2014 7:32:29 AM

12. jc:
    The key to human survival is intelligence which you probably don't have. We are not in the Stone Age any more.

Posted by: simon | May 3, 2014 7:38:17 AM

13. Every era views itself as novel.

Posted by: JC | May 3, 2014 11:29:31 AM

14. I'm sure we owe it all to a queer cave man.

Posted by: GB | May 3, 2014 11:55:59 AM

15. jc:
    You still don't get it. Modern medicine has advanced to a stage that hetero sex is no longer a prerequisite for procreation. It is not the fairy tale you believe in or just a "view". It is reality.

Posted by: simon | May 3, 2014 2:56:46 PM

16. My point is you don't need to worry any more that even if every one turns gay, the human race will continue to propagate itself.

Posted by: simon | May 3, 2014 3:15:12 PM

17. Simon: You have a lot of faith in science. Will someone get this news to the gay bashers out there? Amazing that life will propagate itself, but don't try holding hands on Main Street in 2014 just yet.

Posted by: JC | May 3, 2014 3:44:25 PM

18. You forgot to take your meds?

Posted by: simon | May 3, 2014 4:23:49 PM

19. Of course you have to do it yourself. Science won't take the meds for you.

Posted by: simon | May 3, 2014 4:34:39 PM

20. Is it true that she rides to work on a unicorn that leaves only rainbows in its wake? I choose to believe so.

Love, love, love that woman and I know damn well that Thomas and "Scalito" are afraid of her.

Posted by: Rob | May 3, 2014 4:50:00 PM

21. Simon: Meds have nothing to do with this A-hole...

Posted by: Arrow | May 3, 2014 4:59:44 PM

22. Wonder if the moderator permits the staff to make comments. Just because you work at McDonalds doesn't mean you get to eat the food. I know it's hot in that laboratory.

Posted by: Arrow | May 3, 2014 5:07:01 PM

23. I'll believe it when I read it on "Drudge" He my gay, go to guy.

Posted by: Arrow | May 3, 2014 5:43:20 PM