Music

Musician Bob Mould Worried Coming Out Would Overshadow His Work: MUSIC

Bob_mouldBefore former Husker Du frontman and current bear DJ Bob Mould came out in a mid-90s interview with Spin magazine, he worried that doing so would overshadow his music.

Mould recently told Uncut magazine:

"Coming out was different than it is now and I'd always placed a premium on privacy. I didn't feel comfortable identifying myself as a gay musician. I wanted to be a musician and if I happened to be gay, that's great too...

"But Spin led with a saucy byline, something like 'I'm not a freak'. I was like, 'Oh, of everything I said, that's what you're gonna put on the cover? The gay community's gonna kill me.'

"That's not me. I'm not a freak. I'm a normal person. Again, I worried about it way more than anybody else. It didn't really make much difference."

Mould also recently dropped the second single from his upcoming album Beauty & Ruin entitled “I Don’t Know You Anymore” (the first single off the album was “Hey Mr. Grey). The album comes out in North American on June 3.

Listen to the tracks AFTER THE JUMP…

“Hey Mr. Grey”

“I Don’t Know You Anymore”

Comments

1. You couldn't just write a blurb about Bob Mould's upcoming album without the click bait headline? He came out ages ago. You suck.

Posted by: Randall | May 3, 2014 1:23:16 PM

2. Why write a blurb about it at all? Why would I find this interesting? The first track is barely distinguishable from an ancient TV set tuned to nothing.

Posted by: Randy | May 3, 2014 3:13:37 PM

3. Saw him twice with the great Husker Du, a few times with Sugar and solo, fantastic guitar player and a good songwriter too. His first solo album "Workbook" is a favorite.

His coming out was awkward, it was funny to see so many of the gays who interviewed him not really have a clue who he was but they wanted to claim him for the "community" anyways and expected him to be a spokesman right away.

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 3, 2014 4:36:38 PM

4. He had me at "Uncut magazine". Is this a welcome sequel to the long departed "Foreskin Quarterly"?

Posted by: bravo | May 3, 2014 5:02:47 PM

5. @Randy Perhaps the reason you're not into this is because you listen to over-produced pop, or soulless EDM.

@Henry I wish I could have seen Husker Du. I was a bit too young. I have seen Sugar (In high school), and Bob's solo many times. I caught him at SXSW this year, and he still has it. He still moves and rocks out like he was 25.

Bob is a personal hero of mine, and I highly recommend reading his book See A Little Light.

Posted by: Adam L | May 3, 2014 5:41:38 PM

6. @Adam L

Where in the world did you jump to that conclusion? I've loved Husker Du since college; stood in line to get Workbook signed at Rose Records, and watched the Flaming Lips perform with him at ATP in upstate NY. Again, how did you go from my displeasure at the clickbait headline to assuming I have crap taste in music?

Posted by: Randall | May 3, 2014 7:12:36 PM

7. Edit: watched the Flaming Lips with him at ATP in upstate NY as well as watch him play with No Age.

Posted by: Randall | May 3, 2014 7:14:31 PM

8. Randy, you're a 'tard.

Posted by: Buckie | May 3, 2014 7:58:21 PM

9. @RANDALL (http://whalesmusic.bandcamp.com)

I think ADAM L was responding to someone else called RANDY, who posted:

>Why write a blurb about it at all? Why would I find this interesting?
    >The first track is barely distinguishable from an ancient TV set
    >tuned to nothing.

Pansy Division did a cover of Bob Mould's "The Biggest Lie," which they included on their 1995 CD release "Pile Up."

Posted by: JoeyJoJo | May 4, 2014 5:27:40 AM

10. @Randall

Confirming what JoeyJoJo said. This was definitely meant for the commenter "Randy"

Posted by: Adam L | May 4, 2014 12:41:01 PM

11. glad he is being mention but there is something about mr. villareal's writing that just irks.

Posted by: don't a tell la | May 5, 2014 2:31:10 AM