Video | Video Games

Nintendo Responds - Poorly - To Criticisms Of Tomodachi Life's Deliberate Anti-Gay Rules: VIDEO

Tomodachi Life

When Nintendo announced that they would be releasing their whimsical life simulator Tomodachi Life, gay gamers - or gaymers, if you prefer - were disappointed to learn that though your avatar, or "Mii", could go on dates and get married, they couldn't do so with a member of the same sex. Given that the previous game Tomodachi Collection allowed for same-sex couplings, albeit by way of a bug rather than a feature, Nintendo is deliberately excluding gay couples, a decision which invited criticism and a petition, as well as the creation of Twitter hashtag campaign #Miiquality started by Tye Marini of Mesa, Arizona, who said in an online video,

I want to be able to marry my real-life fiancé’s Mii, but I can’t do that. My only options are to marry some female Mii, to change the gender of either my Mii or my fiancé’s Mii or to completely avoid marriage altogether and miss out on the exclusive content that comes with it.

Nintendo responded to the criticisms by doubling-down on their position, saying in a statement,

Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of ’Tomodachi Life.' The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that ’Tomodachi Life’ was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary.

Except that they did. When your game is based on the premise of players creating avatars of themselves, your gameplay mechanics offer dating, courtship, and marriage, and you deliberately disallow the creation of same-sex couples, you are saying that those couples are less-than and therefore you will not recognize them or allow their stories to be played out. You are denying the existence of gays and lesbians who are buying and playing your game.

You can watch Tye's video on #Miiquality AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Life simulator"... really? Has humanity really gotten to that point? Maybe people should go outside occasionally, and leave the smartphone at home. This is sad for more than homophobia and lame excuses. The thought of a "life simulator" itself is a lame excuse.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 7, 2014 7:40:26 PM

2. Awareness of their surroundings has never been Nintendo's strong suit

Posted by: Jmac | May 7, 2014 7:46:14 PM

3. Whimsical?
    Not much whimsy involved if you go to the trouble and expense of programming a same-sex marriage restriction into the Mii code.

Posted by: Joe in Toronto | May 7, 2014 7:54:42 PM

4. So playful, whimsical, and quirky alternate worlds in games can't be gay inclusive. Got it, homophobic Nintendo.

Frankly, I stopped being impressed with Nintendo as a kid when I found out they went after Galoob for their Game Genie products.

Posted by: GameGenie | May 7, 2014 8:09:47 PM

5. Nintendo doesn't need a reason to invite more controversy especially when the company is tanking pretty badly and moreso, many gaymers are Nintendo fanboys.

Posted by: Sam | May 7, 2014 8:14:31 PM

6. Nintendo doesn't need a reason to invite more controversy especially when the company is tanking pretty badly and moreso, many gaymers are Nintendo fanboys.

Posted by: Sam | May 7, 2014 8:14:31 PM

7. I will not be getting this game. It was a hit in Japan but I'm hoping it tanks here and in the UK.

Posted by: Derrick | May 7, 2014 9:01:19 PM

8. Seriously? Sims is a life simulator and it has gay marriage. This is the biggest cop-out. What's with these eastern gaming companies and their homophobia? (looking at you too, aria, nexon, etc)

Posted by: Louis | May 7, 2014 9:42:57 PM

9. Who still buys or plays any Nintendo products anynore? It's old and dead tech from the past.

Posted by: johnny | May 7, 2014 10:20:47 PM

10. I'm no gaymer so maybe it's my lack of knowledge and I'll probably invite criticism by saying this but are we really going to get up in arms over this?? This really makes us look like a joke. It's a Nintendo video game.....there are definitely bigger issues to focus on.

Posted by: Joe | May 7, 2014 10:33:56 PM

11. "We hope that all of our fans..."

Fans, you say?

No, I don't think you have them anymore.

The kids today don't like it when you crap on their friends.

Posted by: Randy | May 8, 2014 12:36:04 AM

12. They would've been better off with no statement at all. I can't believe a professional was paid money to write this.

Posted by: JMC | May 8, 2014 1:08:12 AM

13. Allowing gay couples in the game isn't social commentary. Denying people the right to have a same sex relationship is.

Posted by: Ryan | May 8, 2014 1:14:20 AM

14. I hope they'll consider expansion content that would allow males to beat their female property without consequence, restrict the allowable occupations of women, and restrict marriage between to Mii of similar colors, because there's too much social commentary attached to contemporary times vs. the simplicity of about a hundred or more years ago.

Can Mii have jobs in this game. If so, I hope they've programmed lower rates of income generation for women, because, you know, too much social commentary if female Mii made the same amount as male Mii.

Can my Mii live in a mansion on a plantation rather than in a house. Now, I'll need cheap labor to run it...

Hey, it's "just a game."

Posted by: Rich | May 8, 2014 1:55:28 AM

15. uh johnny pokémon is a pretty big reason nintendo is still relevant. nintendo doesn't really have much outside of first party ip's like mario and zelda though.

it's japan, it's to be expected. i'm a gaymer but i really don't care. instead of getting upset about it, ignore it and let your wallet do the talking.

Posted by: luke | May 9, 2014 12:33:50 AM