Iran | Pharrell | Video

Six Iranians Arrested For Recreating Pharrell's 'Happy': VIDEO

Happy in Tehran

From MTV:

“Happy in Tehran” was uploaded to YouTube last month and garnered more than 165,000 views before being made private. It shows three men and three women — all unveiled — looking, well, happy as they dance and lip-synch to Pharrell’s hit.

But authorities in Tehran are calling the video “vulgar,” and all six were arrested and forced to formally apologize on state television. (Under Islamic law, women are required to cover themselves from head to toe in public, a rule monitored by “morality police.”)

Last month one of the dancers said in an interview, "We wanted to tell the world that the Iranian capital is full of lively young people and change the harsh and rough image that the world sees on the news." The irony - which seems to be making the rounds this week - is thick enough to spread on toast. There's also something cringe-worthy when Tehran police chief Hossein Sajedinia says that the video "hurt public chastity."

Fortunately most of the people involved in the video have been released, though the video's director remains in custody.

You can watch the "vulgar" display of happiness AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Écrasez l'infâme

Posted by: Nick | May 22, 2014 9:21:45 PM

2. This makes me happy. We love you Iran!

Posted by: Jeff | May 22, 2014 9:27:31 PM

3. People being happy?
    Horrors, religion cannot tolerate that!

Posted by: Pandion | May 22, 2014 9:33:47 PM

4. The world is full of horse's patoots that think they know God's mind and then use their ill gotten power, to destroy good people with it. If there is a God, he must certainly weep.

Posted by: StevyD | May 22, 2014 9:43:00 PM

5. I agree with the great Ayatollah that these people are freaks in their society, just as the drag queens in ours. Strangely, my blood also boiled when I saw the above picture. I would like to send my congratulation to the great leader for doing the right thing.

Posted by: rick | May 22, 2014 10:44:22 PM

6. I heard about this earlier this week. The only positive thing I learned from this incident is that apparently a majority of the population of Iran are young people like those featured in the video. Which means that the regime enforcing these ridiculous rules will topple sooner than later.

Posted by: John | May 22, 2014 10:44:40 PM

7. I've been following this for a few days. I actually fully watched it. I bet what's so offensive in this video is the attractive woman (in red!) dancing with what appear to be one or two religious men (based on their facial hair). But then again, what do i know?

Posted by: snork | May 22, 2014 10:45:30 PM

8. IRAN , what a toilet

Posted by: MarkBoston | May 22, 2014 11:27:21 PM

9. I read the most famous actress in Iran, a judge on the Cannes Film Festival jury and star of the Oscar winning Best Foreign Film a couple years back, will face a public lashing for having kissed a fellow Cannes judge on both cheeks as a greeting. The Cannes press is going crazy trying to protect her.

Posted by: MIke | May 23, 2014 12:13:53 AM

10. @MIke : if so, I hope she's not back in Iran and that someone gives her asylum (plus a movie contract).

Posted by: Bill | May 23, 2014 12:25:55 AM

11. This is what happens when the wall separating government and religion is toppled. Sadly, it was toppled with the consent of the Iranian people during the Islamic Revolution

Posted by: Manny Espinola | May 23, 2014 1:26:19 AM

12. Well, that’s the kind of happiness you can have in Iran. Reality hit them like a container full of rocks. Ouch.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | May 23, 2014 1:42:18 AM

13. Very cool and surprisingly touching video!

Dance and music are truly the international language of love.

Posted by: bendskier | May 23, 2014 2:38:02 AM

14. ... and Theatre! duh! :)

Posted by: bendskier | May 23, 2014 2:39:25 AM

15. This happened like a month ago, and they were released last week. Way to be on top of the news, Towleroad.

Posted by: crispy | May 23, 2014 6:29:09 AM

16. I know it's hard, but try being something other than a useless troll, Crispy.

Posted by: OtterBear | May 23, 2014 7:59:57 AM