News | Rob Ford | Toronto

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to 'Seek Immediate Help' After New Crack Smoking Video Emerges

Ford

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford plans to "seek help" after news of a new video which shows him smoking crack was reported by the Globe and Mail newspaper:

The clip, which was viewed by two Globe and Mail reporters, shows Mr. Ford taking a drag from a long copper-coloured pipe, exhaling a cloud of smoke and then frantically shaking his right hand. The footage is part of a package of three videos that the drug dealer says he surreptitiously shot around 1:15 a.m., and which he says he is now selling for “at least six figures.”

Ford released a statement via Facebook:

Tonight I want to take some time to speak from my heart to the people of Toronto. It’s not easy to be vulnerable and this is one of the most difficult times in my life. I have a problem with alcohol, and the choices I have made while under the influence. I have struggled with this for some time.

Today, after taking some time to think about my own well-being, how to best serve the people of Toronto and what is in the best interests of my family, I have decided to take a leave from campaigning and from my duties as Mayor to seek immediate help.

I have tried to deal with these issues by myself over the past year. I know that I need professional help and I am now 100% committed to getting myself right.

I love the people of Toronto, I love being your mayor and I hope you will continue to stand by me.

With the support of my family, friends, professionals and the people of Toronto, I will conquer this.

Please keep me and my family in your prayers during these difficult days ahead. I just want to say to the people of Toronto that I thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement. I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate it.

Mayor Rob Ford

Comments

1. How is he still mayor?!?!

Posted by: Mikey | May 1, 2014 1:06:40 PM

2. I am so tired of this Canadian bovine.

Posted by: Christopher | May 1, 2014 1:09:19 PM

3. I bet he ends up in yet another video either doing drugs or drunkenly ranting&raving within the 30 days he's supposedly in rehab. Also, 30 ain't enough, he's not kicking those demons any time soon.

@Mikey-- he's still Mayor because stupidly, law in the Province of Ontario only allows for the removal of a Mayor from office if said Mayor has been convicted of a crime. So the real question is: why hasn't he be charged with anything????!!!!

Posted by: leprechaunvict | May 1, 2014 1:27:13 PM

4. He hasn't been charged because he's been good to the police.

I was willing to forgive his awful behavior for a while because he doesn't seem inherently evil, just stupid. But I've known more than my share of addicts, and not even the most destructive among them would do the things he's done. He could easily have drugs delivered to him; instead he sought to be caught because he had a guilty conscience. At a certain point, for some addicts, the lies and guilt start to kill you faster than the booze and drugs will.

Posted by: Paul R | May 1, 2014 1:32:11 PM

5. That looks like a pot pipe to me but I'm sure crackheads will rig anything up for a hit.

Posted by: mcgill | May 1, 2014 1:45:27 PM

6. NOW he's seeking help??

Posted by: Jack M | May 1, 2014 2:21:44 PM

7. "I have a problem with alcohol"

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure if you're smoking it, you're doing it wrong.

Posted by: JJ | May 1, 2014 3:10:45 PM

8. I still like him; though glad he's not mayor of my city.

Posted by: chasmader | May 1, 2014 3:20:33 PM

9. You think YOU'RE tired, Christopher?

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | May 1, 2014 3:30:49 PM

10. Nothing Ford says is true, except by accident.

Posted by: Randy | May 1, 2014 3:50:35 PM

11. But you left out the best part (and by best, I mean 'most horrific'): one of the three videos is allegedly a sex tape. At least that's what Michael Cooke, editor of the Toronto Star, said on television last night.

Posted by: John | May 1, 2014 4:33:36 PM

12. If this was a black politician the media would've had his ass a long time ago and not played him out to be some kookie uncle.

Posted by: Derrick | May 1, 2014 4:39:08 PM

13. Are there no articles of impeachment?

Posted by: Gay Guy | May 1, 2014 7:56:12 PM

14. Umm, Derrick, look up Marion Berry in DC for the 80s and a good chunk of the 90s. The media did its best to run him out, and failed. And he wasn't even all that well liked by many of the people who defended him; DC was just unwilling to let a black man take the fall. I understand why, but DC could have done better without the constant distractions he created. And he remains a powerful force in DC politics today.

Whereas very few people like Ford and, at this point, almost no one defends him. But once you gain a powerful public office, you're often hard to touch.

Posted by: Paul R | May 2, 2014 4:13:49 AM