Bill clinton | LGBT Rights | LGBT Stories | Matthew Shepard

66 Gay Clips from '90s Nightly News: WATCH

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.41.51 PM

How many of these stories do you remember?

Dave Evans, who made the gay supercuts of the '70s and '80s news clips, has released the latest in his series.

This video shows clips on an early anti-gay Scouting lawsuit, protests in California over Governor Pete Wilson's veto of a gay-rights bill, Clinton becoming president and the protests over gays in the military, the 25th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, and the Matthew Shepard hatecrime and aftermath.

Watch the powerful video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 9.46.43 PM

Comments

1. Thanks, Bill, for taking our support, then throwing us under the bus.

Posted by: David | Jun 10, 2014 11:20:31 PM

2. A word to the wise: These clips would get more views and more comments if they weren't so long. Most people, including me, are not going to watch a video clip that is almost an hour long. Less is more! Cram it down into a concise 10 or 15 minutes and you'll get a lot more viewers.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jun 10, 2014 11:26:34 PM

3. @David From CANADA, this isn't about views. I uploaded these hour long videos for people who care about gay history. If you aren't interested that's fine. Don't advise me on how to run my channel. I do have 31.6 million video views so there's that...

Posted by: Dave Evans | Jun 11, 2014 3:02:18 AM

4. These videos are wonderful. I've watched them all. A common theme I see from the 70's, 80's, and 90's is how many news stories focusing on gay rights end with a scene of shirtless gay men dancing in a dark club. Not sure I quite understand why, but I suspect that the reason isn't positive.

Posted by: JoeBlow | Jun 11, 2014 10:05:15 AM

5. Dave Evans, Thank you for all the work you did to compile this valuable collection of video documents. These clips are a good reminder that we didn't arrive at our current status without a lot of suffering -- and a lot of hard work.

Posted by: David McCain | Jun 11, 2014 10:18:31 AM

6. Thank you JOEBLOW & DAVID MCCAIN!

Posted by: Dave Evans | Jun 11, 2014 11:30:59 AM