"Ex-Gays" | News | Republican Party | Texas

‘Ex Gay’ Behind Texas GOP’s ‘Reparative Therapy’ Platform Says Party Plank is Misunderstood - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.56.51 PM

Jeremy Schwab, the ‘ex-gay’ Texas Republican delegate behind the party’s “reparative therapy” plank in its new platform, is speaking out in defense of the therapy and says he’s surprised with all the media coverage of the issue.

WFAA reports:

"There are counselors out there who help us overcome same-sex attraction by finding need fulfillment in other ways in our lives and by addressing emotional wounds, and that has reduced the same-sex attraction significantly," he explained.

Schwab said he lived 12 years as a gay man, but reduced his same sex attraction through prayer, counseling, and emotional healing.

"The gay lifestyle is just not an option for us, because of our own faith and our own values," he said. […]

Schwab later admits that “reparative therapy” isn’t the best name for the counseling, because it isn’t about “repairing” anyone who’s broken.

Perhaps "snake oil therapy" was already taken as a name option?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. reparative therapy = denial.

Posted by: dan | Jun 22, 2014 10:36:22 AM

2. Reparative therapy is a scam to soak money from parents who don't want their kids to be "different."

Posted by: jason MacBride | Jun 22, 2014 10:43:52 AM

3. So instead of shoving cock into his mouth, he fills it with cake.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 22, 2014 10:52:14 AM

4. They believe in torture, such idiots. Hate the gay that much.

Posted by: terryp | Jun 22, 2014 11:00:53 AM

5. of course, Mr. Schwab is "misunderstood", NOT: but the real crime here is that the Texas GOP adopted part of their platform from ONE person, supposedly Mr. Schwab; Why didn't they look for a few other "ex-gays??! Answer: They do not exist!

Posted by: Bernie | Jun 22, 2014 11:24:21 AM

6. Whenever they trot out "the gay lifestyle", you know they are FOS.

Posted by: tad | Jun 22, 2014 11:30:29 AM

7. I wonder which adult book store he frequents?

Posted by: puggleboy | Jun 22, 2014 11:37:51 AM

8. Does this man prove that ardent Republicans are closeted like Prick Perry and Ted Cruz?

Posted by: ppp | Jun 22, 2014 11:46:48 AM

9. He has only managed to "reduce" his homo lust, so I guess he only gets a semi-chub. I don't think the repug plank mentioned that as their objective, though it's fun to think of how it would be worded.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Jun 22, 2014 11:59:29 AM

10. The reportage is outrageous. The bimbette says how he went from gay to straight. And then Missy here says he reduced his same sex attractions by 50%.

He probably wants only every other cock.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Jun 22, 2014 12:06:14 PM

11. Nothing to misunderstand...those 'counselors' can't be APA approved, since the APA doesn't think being gay is an illness. So in effect, this fool and his ilk want religion and quackery ingrained in a political instrument. Rewriting reality from anti-intellectual perspectives.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 22, 2014 1:04:40 PM

12. I feel bad for him, no one deserves to live a "reduced" life.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 22, 2014 2:00:18 PM

13. This ol' Nancy has his head up his ass.

Posted by: JEFF YORK | Jun 22, 2014 2:04:14 PM

14. Why don't they ever talk about str8s who turn gay????

Posted by: Mark | Jun 22, 2014 2:05:40 PM

15. translation: "nobody accepted me when i was gay, so i've run back into the closet to win back the tolerance of my bigoted republican family and home"

coward.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 22, 2014 2:25:48 PM

16. Um, let me see if I have this down. I choose to have a belief system that tells me my sexual orientation - one that I can't really change and I might only be able to reduce in intensity - is wrong. But I choose to keep my belief system because my belief system tells me if I don't act on my sexual orientation, I might be able to get into heaven. Also, my belief system tells me that I have the obligation to impose it on others.

Go. To. Your. Fictional. Hell.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 22, 2014 2:38:38 PM

17. Now there's a new idea :
    Straight Reparative Therapy !

At least there is evidence that 'straights' turn gay, but gays going straight, not so much.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 22, 2014 3:07:34 PM

18. Miss Porcine Ex-Gay Thing needs to understand that for the Texas GOP and the GOP in general, the change in the Texas State GOP platform is considered "progressive" and viewed as the furthest the GOP will go in acceding to LGBT rights.

Now, the GOP theme is not that LGBT people are "evil", it is that they are to be pitied and "reparative therapy" is the means by which a gay person can "change" his/her "evil"ways, provided that (a) they acknowledge that they are inherently "evil" and (b) that their "lifestyle" is a "choice" which can be remediated by the compassionate conservative alternative of "reparative therapy" (aka conversion to evangelical christianity).

Once Miss Porcine Ex-Gay Thing admits this then the chubby little darling needs to sit down and shut up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 22, 2014 3:22:05 PM

19. Poor thing was rejected for his small peepee so he had to turn to God... boo hoo. Being Gay is not for sissies!

Posted by: tim | Jun 22, 2014 3:56:09 PM

20. Jeremy sweetheart, you just keep telling yourself that until the day you're caught on your knees in the back room of an adult book store in El Paso on a Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Jun 22, 2014 8:02:35 PM

21. I've never seen the point of "reparative therapy" (or whatever they're calling it this week). If you life sucks because of debt, family drama, depression, etc, how is changing your sexuality going to solve those problems? Most of these "ex-gays" act like all the problems in their life were rooted in their sexuality, when the main problem is their bigoted family members rejecting them for being gay. The real solution is to accept who you are and tell your bigoted family to pound sand, not kowtow to their hatred and drag some poor clueless woman into being your beard.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 23, 2014 5:25:09 AM

22. Yes, just as Ted Haggard reduced his same sex attraction through prayer, counseling, and emotional healing. Oh, and crystal meth. Praise Jesus!

Posted by: KC | Jun 23, 2014 2:13:48 PM

23. Jeremy Schwab - Still gay. Still hates himself.

Posted by: JT | Jun 24, 2014 3:02:59 PM