Alec Baldwin | Gary Oldman | Mel Gibson | News

Gary Oldman Apologizes for Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin Remarks: 'I'm an A-Hole' - VIDEO

Oldman

On Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, actor Gary Oldman apologized for statements he made to Playboy magazine during a rant about political correctness gone overboard in Hollywood in which he defended Mel Gibson's racist and anti-Semitic remarks and Alec Baldwin's homophobic slurs.

Said Oldman:

"I said some things that were poorly considered. And once I had seen it in print, I could see that it was offensive, insensitive, pernicious and ill-informed...From my heart, I am profoundly, profoundly sorry...I should be an example and an inspiration, and I'm an a-hole. And I'm 56, and I should know better."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wish he had requested his character's daughter, Barbara Gordon (Batgirl), get more screen time in the Batman movies. She was only shown for a second and it was the back of her head.

Posted by: Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman in 2016 | Jun 26, 2014 10:24:10 AM

2. Wow, after hearing Oldman's apology the other day where he profusely apologized for the Jewish people he offended but seemed to go out of his way to NOT mention or address gay people or the offense to them, I was excited to watch this clip to see his apology for defending Alec Baldwin and saying that it was OK to call people "faggot" when angry. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that he STILL never mentioned what he said to gay people or what he said about Alec Baldwin but once again specifically singled out what he said about Mel Gibson.

Andy, could you please direct us to the apology to gay people and his addressing his comments about Alec Baldwin? You clearly provided the wrong video to back up your post. This one is just a rehash of his previous statement which clearly, painfully and intentionally DIDN'T address the gay part.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 26, 2014 10:25:00 AM

3. He should not be apologising full stop.

His criticism of the hysterical over-reactions of people is very try.

Mel Gibson made an anti-Semitic slur when wasted. That's not nice but has zero impact on anyone except the most sensitive flower on earth.

Alec Baldwin made a homophobic slur, when angry. That's not nice but has zero impact on anyone except the most sensitive flower on earth.

The only thing I find weird is how Oldman feels the need to apologise to the ADL, but not to GLAAD.

Why is that?

Posted by: MaryM | Jun 26, 2014 10:29:02 AM

4. Someone has a movie to promote, what's one way to get your name in the news? this was all staged

Posted by: john | Jun 26, 2014 10:34:18 AM

5. The news websites are reporting Oldman's apology about the Gibson flap, but none at all about the Adam Baldwin anti-gay slurs flap. This in itself is a form of homophobia.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jun 26, 2014 10:41:13 AM

6. I am sorry and I am promoting a movie...

Posted by: Moniker | Jun 26, 2014 10:49:39 AM

7. I am promoting a movie, so here is my sorry for you, you, and you. Now go to cinema near you and make me richer...

Posted by: Moniker | Jun 26, 2014 10:50:56 AM

8. MaryM, hysterical overreactions are pretty much all you do.

Posted by: Mikey M | Jun 26, 2014 11:08:42 AM

9. 1. Get a new project ready for release.

2. Say something as insulting as possible about minorities. Pref. more than one.

3. Go on a talk show apology tour.

4. Profit!

Posted by: Mike | Jun 26, 2014 11:12:30 AM

10. He has now sincerely apologized twice yet he's only doing it to promote his movie? And Jonah Hill wasn't? Incredible.

Posted by: ryan | Jun 26, 2014 11:15:03 AM

11. Do black people get a apology?

Posted by: Mike | Jun 26, 2014 11:24:01 AM

12. Does Uma Thurman get an apology?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 26, 2014 11:39:15 AM

13. MARYM, are you a sociopath?

I think his apology sounds sincere. Just as with Johan Hill I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Although I will probably see his movie.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 26, 2014 12:04:42 PM

14. He apologized he understands it's hurt his reputation. Whether he means it or not is irrelevant...I don't know him so I'll take it as he said it. I agree with what Kimmel explained and how they both handled it. Oh and for the people who are saying that Gibson & Baldwin made "a comment"...they made many many many comments more than a few times. Oldman, who I dearly love as an actor, really put his foot in it but he was trying to make a valid point on hypocrisy...he did it very poorly. He was talking like you do to friends who know you and can infer what you mean from prior intimate knowledge of your personality. If he refrains from making more stupid statements I'm good with him. For god's sake...no more apologies!!! Can't we just have them kiss NPH's ring from now on and move it along.

Posted by: lvng1tor | Jun 26, 2014 12:39:45 PM

15. Daniel, MaryM is Rick, our resident troll. So of course "she" is a sociopath. Rick is a troll and a sociopath and that's pretty much all there is to him as a person. He's a waste of space and life and he knows it.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 26, 2014 12:47:43 PM

16. He is a great actor and he is acting.

Posted by: trees | Jun 26, 2014 1:14:30 PM

17. Who cares? This is so fake!

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 26, 2014 1:20:11 PM

18. TYLER, and everyone else who thinks they know anyone behind their comments, is a total fool as both psychologist and clairvoyant. You don't know squat. Lame comic? Even that's a stretch.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 26, 2014 2:37:15 PM

19. I agree, UFFDA. I guess we don't need to ever man-up and prove ourselves, do we? After all, it would prove our points if we could only show ourselves. I can't show myself, though. I *am* just a cowardly troll with no life and a family that's only ever hated my guts. You?

Posted by: Rick | Jun 26, 2014 2:42:55 PM

20. Oh dear fake "Rick"...and could you man-up to who YOU really are?

I thought so.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 26, 2014 5:02:43 PM

21. He's right.....enough of the "Shallow Activism"..

Posted by: styler | Jun 26, 2014 5:11:39 PM