Brunei | Ellen DeGeneres | Hotels | Russell Crowe

Rose McGowan Defies Boycott, Hosts Party to Support Staff at Beverly Hills Hotel

BeverlyHills

Actress Rose McGowan hosted a party in support of the staff of the Beverly Hills Hotel, as well as to send a message of defiant love to the hotel's owner the sultan of Brunei.

The Dorchester Collection, to which the Beverly Hills Hotel belongs, has become the center of an international boycott sparked by the recent passage of sharia law in the southeast Asian nation of Brunei. The DC is owned by the Brunei Investment Agency, which is a part of the ministry of finance in Brunei. Stars such as Ellen DeGeneres, Jay Leno, Richard Branson, and Stephen Fry are leading calls for celebrities and those with influence to stop supporting the hotels.

"I want to assemble a group of men and women (and hopefully some adulteresses,) that would be stoned in Brunei but that will be welcome at the BH," said McGowan, reported The Huffington Post.

The party was attended by friends of McGowan who weren't convinced that a boycott would affect the sultan, but would rather have a detrimental effect on the hotel's staff.

Reports The Huffington Post:

"Rose and I came up with the idea for this whole thing together," [McGowan's friend Amanda] Goodwin said. "We were talking on Facebook about what was going on here, and we just thought, 'Wouldn't it be great if we got together some fabulous people, gay and straight, and responded to this hate with love instead of ignoring it?'"

"Listen," Goodwin continued, "I'm gay. I'm married to a woman. I hate what the sultan is doing to people in Brunei. But I don't think that responding to what he's doing with more hate is the answer. I really feel that way. I think it's great that we're here, being gay, sitting on his sofa. I really want to gay this place up.

"A lot of people have asked me whether I'd go if it were Hitler," she said.

Well, would she?

"Probably. I think I would. I'd go, and I'd say, 'I'm a Jew.'"

McGowan isn't the first celebrity to balk at the boycott. Russell Crowe took to Twitter last week to defend the hotel's staff, whom he sees as "collateral damage" in the campaign.

Comments

1. Deport them all to Brunei!

Posted by: litper | Jun 1, 2014 8:33:34 PM

2. Well, no one ever said actresses were particularly bright. This is the one with the natural-looking plastic surgery, yes? #jawbreaker

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Jun 1, 2014 8:39:36 PM

3. What would a woman like Rose McGowan understand about the oppression of male homosexuals in Brunei? You're a tool, Rose...and so are your friends.

Posted by: petey | Jun 1, 2014 8:47:58 PM

4. Why don't they all go to Chick-Fil-A for coffee afterwards?

Posted by: trees | Jun 1, 2014 8:48:41 PM

5. OH, poor Rose a 41 year old "NEVER WAS". Well you know someone is really screwed up when they grow up in "The CHILDREN of GOD" a horrible Italian christian cult. So Rose should have a lot to talk about with the sultan of brunei!!

Posted by: 2AMOR | Jun 1, 2014 8:52:20 PM

6. As a gay man I get to choose where I want to stay when I travel. I choose not to go the Beverly Hills Hotel so that my dollars don't line the pockets of someone who would prefer me to be dead.

That is not hate, it is putting my money where it will do the most in my not dead interests.

Posted by: bkmn | Jun 1, 2014 9:02:47 PM

7. Patronize the enemy. Some people think this is a good idea?! *vomits in mouth slightly*

I hardly think the act of a boycott in this case constitutes a "hate" qualifier. - "But I don't think that responding to what he's doing with more hate is the answer."
    A little perspective please?!
    [Stoning+dismemberment+(etc)] > [boycott]
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The hotel staff should have started looking for new jobs when the sultan made his first declaration if they had any conscience or integrity.

Posted by: Seven | Jun 1, 2014 9:15:34 PM

8. i guess we're just supposed to tolerate the sultan's murderous hate against us?

go play in traffic, mcgowen

Posted by: jaker | Jun 1, 2014 9:27:37 PM

9. I'm confused. Was the party thrown for and attended by the staff of the hotel, or was it thrown for McGowan's ego and friends and tended to by the staff of the hotel?

Posted by: DRoseDARs | Jun 1, 2014 9:27:54 PM

10. Rose McGowan played a really creepy witch character in the most recent Conan The Barbarian movie. Methinks that she has a few screws loose.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jun 1, 2014 9:28:44 PM

11. I'd suggest we boycott her as well, but how would anyone know.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jun 1, 2014 9:31:02 PM

12. Is she going to take donuts and coffee to the local chapter of the KKK next?

Posted by: Martin | Jun 1, 2014 9:37:57 PM

13. DROSEDARS, I think the second one 'it was thrown for McGowan's ego and friends and tended to by the staff of the hotel.'

Posted by: Gogglebox | Jun 1, 2014 9:40:56 PM

14. This woman needs to put a burka on and live under Sharia law for about 5 seconds, she will change her mind!

Posted by: 2AMOR | Jun 1, 2014 9:57:40 PM

15. So she's planning on The Tell-Tale Heart as her retirement performance?

Posted by: Elsewhere1010 | Jun 1, 2014 9:58:52 PM

16. Rose who?

Posted by: gaylib | Jun 1, 2014 9:58:57 PM

17. It's telling that she would have patronized a business in the US owned by Hitler as a show of solidarity with the people he was killing in Europe. Hitler wouldn't care where the money came from.

Posted by: steve talbert | Jun 1, 2014 10:12:32 PM

18. I understand what she's doing, but, in reality it's more like, "Here Sultan, take my money, look at me...I'm gay and sitting on your couch (in your face!) and you can't touch me. Now go the money I just gave you and use it to do horrible things to the gays in your own country". One has to wonder what gay men in Bruni think of what they did.

Posted by: dana | Jun 1, 2014 10:29:31 PM

19. Amanda Goodwin is an idiot.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Jun 1, 2014 10:38:41 PM

20. So the best way to protest a company is to give them your money?

Posted by: Michael | Jun 1, 2014 10:47:50 PM

21. The difference it that employees can get other jobs (maybe?), whereas the people suffering under Sharia, cannot be not dead or get a new arm or eye that is cut out.

Posted by: Critifur | Jun 1, 2014 10:50:21 PM

22. Maybe if someone like Rose had sent Hitler some flowers we could have avoided that whole holocaust thing.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 1, 2014 11:01:03 PM

23. I've never heard of her & her group of hangers-on doesn't look affluent enough to make any difference to the bottomline of a hotel chain one way or another.

So, who cares?

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Jun 1, 2014 11:09:00 PM

24. Amanda Goodwin: "But I don't think that responding to what he's doing with more hate is the answer."

More hate? Yes, Amanda, boycotting a hotel is equivalent to KILLING gay people.

Seriously, there's a point where stupidity crosses the line into moral degradation, and Amanda Goodwin just sailed past that border.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jun 1, 2014 11:17:13 PM

25. From the article:

When McGowan arrived a few minutes later, the party had swelled to about 25 people. McGowan ordered a glass of rose and started explaining the idea behind the party. She emphasized her loathing of the sultan's enforcement of Sharia, noting that she had been walking in gay pride parades and advocating for marriage rights for decades. But she said she felt that the boycott was misguided.

"Boycotts only work when they hurt the target's bottom line," McGowan argued. "We are never going to affect the sultan's bottom line. He's worth $20 billion! This is a vanity project for him. It could sit empty for 100 years and he wouldn't even notice. But meanwhile, we're hurting all the wonderful, struggling people who work in the hotel."

McGowan said that the hotel management had agreed to pick up the tab for the night's drinks, so their gathering wouldn't be lining the coffers of the sultan. But she said they would tip the staff handsomely to help make up for gratuities lost due to the boycott. The hotel has committed to not laying off any employees, and to paying them above and beyond their salaries to compensate for lost business. But many have said they're still making far less than normal.

"Trust me—the person who's suffering right now is not the sultan," McGowan said. "It's my friend Ruth, who's been working in the diner downstairs for years, and can barely pay her rent."

Posted by: bbg372 | Jun 2, 2014 12:48:38 AM