Rose McGowan Defies Boycott, Hosts Party to Support Staff at Beverly Hills Hotel

BeverlyHills

Actress Rose McGowan hosted a party in support of the staff of the Beverly Hills Hotel, as well as to send a message of defiant love to the hotel's owner the sultan of Brunei.

The Dorchester Collection, to which the Beverly Hills Hotel belongs, has become the center of an international boycott sparked by the recent passage of sharia law in the southeast Asian nation of Brunei. The DC is owned by the Brunei Investment Agency, which is a part of the ministry of finance in Brunei. Stars such as Ellen DeGeneres, Jay Leno, Richard Branson, and Stephen Fry are leading calls for celebrities and those with influence to stop supporting the hotels.

"I want to assemble a group of men and women (and hopefully some adulteresses,) that would be stoned in Brunei but that will be welcome at the BH," said McGowan, reported The Huffington Post.

The party was attended by friends of McGowan who weren't convinced that a boycott would affect the sultan, but would rather have a detrimental effect on the hotel's staff.

Reports The Huffington Post:

"Rose and I came up with the idea for this whole thing together," [McGowan's friend Amanda] Goodwin said. "We were talking on Facebook about what was going on here, and we just thought, 'Wouldn't it be great if we got together some fabulous people, gay and straight, and responded to this hate with love instead of ignoring it?'"

"Listen," Goodwin continued, "I'm gay. I'm married to a woman. I hate what the sultan is doing to people in Brunei. But I don't think that responding to what he's doing with more hate is the answer. I really feel that way. I think it's great that we're here, being gay, sitting on his sofa. I really want to gay this place up.

"A lot of people have asked me whether I'd go if it were Hitler," she said.

Well, would she?

"Probably. I think I would. I'd go, and I'd say, 'I'm a Jew.'"

McGowan isn't the first celebrity to balk at the boycott. Russell Crowe took to Twitter last week to defend the hotel's staff, whom he sees as "collateral damage" in the campaign.

Comments

1. Sean Maloney says

Well, no one ever said actresses were particularly bright. This is the one with the natural-looking plastic surgery, yes? #jawbreaker

2. petey says

What would a woman like Rose McGowan understand about the oppression of male homosexuals in Brunei? You’re a tool, Rose…and so are your friends.

3. 2AMOR says

OH, poor Rose a 41 year old “NEVER WAS”. Well you know someone is really screwed up when they grow up in “The CHILDREN of GOD” a horrible Italian christian cult. So Rose should have a lot to talk about with the sultan of brunei!!

4. bkmn says

As a gay man I get to choose where I want to stay when I travel. I choose not to go the Beverly Hills Hotel so that my dollars don’t line the pockets of someone who would prefer me to be dead.

That is not hate, it is putting my money where it will do the most in my not dead interests.

5. Seven says

Patronize the enemy. Some people think this is a good idea?! *vomits in mouth slightly*

I hardly think the act of a boycott in this case constitutes a “hate” qualifier. – “But I don’t think that responding to what he’s doing with more hate is the answer.”
    A little perspective please?!
    [Stoning+dismemberment+(etc)] > [boycott]
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The hotel staff should have started looking for new jobs when the sultan made his first declaration if they had any conscience or integrity.

6. jaker says

i guess we’re just supposed to tolerate the sultan’s murderous hate against us?

go play in traffic, mcgowen

7. DRoseDARs says

I’m confused. Was the party thrown for and attended by the staff of the hotel, or was it thrown for McGowan’s ego and friends and tended to by the staff of the hotel?

8. David From Canada says

Rose McGowan played a really creepy witch character in the most recent Conan The Barbarian movie. Methinks that she has a few screws loose.

9. Gogglebox says

DROSEDARS, I think the second one ‘it was thrown for McGowan’s ego and friends and tended to by the staff of the hotel.’

10. 2AMOR says

This woman needs to put a burka on and live under Sharia law for about 5 seconds, she will change her mind!

11. Elsewhere1010 says

So she’s planning on The Tell-Tale Heart as her retirement performance?

12. steve talbert says

It’s telling that she would have patronized a business in the US owned by Hitler as a show of solidarity with the people he was killing in Europe. Hitler wouldn’t care where the money came from.

13. dana says

I understand what she’s doing, but, in reality it’s more like, “Here Sultan, take my money, look at me…I’m gay and sitting on your couch (in your face!) and you can’t touch me. Now go the money I just gave you and use it to do horrible things to the gays in your own country”. One has to wonder what gay men in Bruni think of what they did.

14. Critifur says

The difference it that employees can get other jobs (maybe?), whereas the people suffering under Sharia, cannot be not dead or get a new arm or eye that is cut out.

15. Richard says

Maybe if someone like Rose had sent Hitler some flowers we could have avoided that whole holocaust thing.

16. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

I’ve never heard of her & her group of hangers-on doesn’t look affluent enough to make any difference to the bottomline of a hotel chain one way or another.

So, who cares?

17. bobbyjoe says

Amanda Goodwin: “But I don’t think that responding to what he’s doing with more hate is the answer.”

More hate? Yes, Amanda, boycotting a hotel is equivalent to KILLING gay people.

Seriously, there’s a point where stupidity crosses the line into moral degradation, and Amanda Goodwin just sailed past that border.

18. bbg372 says

From the article:

When McGowan arrived a few minutes later, the party had swelled to about 25 people. McGowan ordered a glass of rose and started explaining the idea behind the party. She emphasized her loathing of the sultan’s enforcement of Sharia, noting that she had been walking in gay pride parades and advocating for marriage rights for decades. But she said she felt that the boycott was misguided.

“Boycotts only work when they hurt the target’s bottom line,” McGowan argued. “We are never going to affect the sultan’s bottom line. He’s worth $20 billion! This is a vanity project for him. It could sit empty for 100 years and he wouldn’t even notice. But meanwhile, we’re hurting all the wonderful, struggling people who work in the hotel.”

McGowan said that the hotel management had agreed to pick up the tab for the night’s drinks, so their gathering wouldn’t be lining the coffers of the sultan. But she said they would tip the staff handsomely to help make up for gratuities lost due to the boycott. The hotel has committed to not laying off any employees, and to paying them above and beyond their salaries to compensate for lost business. But many have said they’re still making far less than normal.

“Trust me—the person who’s suffering right now is not the sultan,” McGowan said. “It’s my friend Ruth, who’s been working in the diner downstairs for years, and can barely pay her rent.”

19. Joe in Ct says

I’m sure she’s well intentioned, but I’m not buying it. Boycotting a hotel owned by a man who has declared an open season for killing gay people is simply the right thing to do.

While I’m sorry the hotel’s staff may be in jeopardy,I suspect the Republican-like Sultan will continue to pay them if only to demonstrate that the boycott has had no impact.

BTW, who is she?

20. Gary Bebout says

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”
    ― Oscar Wilde.

21. RayJacksonMS says

She hasn’t worked in a while has she? How could she afford to throw a party?

22. RayJacksonMS says

She hasn’t worked in a while has she? How could she afford to throw a party?

23. JMC says

Thanks BBG372 for posting McGowan’s words instead of those belonging to one of her random, stupid friends like Julian Ward inexplicably did. She explained her point of view much more pointedly than this Amanda Goodwin whacko. Rose is obviously wrong – but her good intentions keep me from hating her for this.

24. Vint says

So it’s:

Vapid Idiots Throw Party, Say Plutocratic Oppressor Will Notice their Party But Not Notice Boycott?

25. alex says

Misguided. If Ms. McGowan really wanted to help, she could throw a fund-raiser (somewhere else) to benefit the hotel employees instead of just merely tipping them. Of course, that would require more than merely showing up and drinking.

26. Moniker says

OK, so how much of the event profit goes to the pocket of Brunei’s Sultan?

27. Moniker says

And how much of the profit goes to the enforcement of Sharia Law leading to stoning of gay people in Brunei? Congrats Rose McGowan.

28. Nigel says

Well the economy was challenging in Germany and if you could get a job to support your family you were lucky. You didn’t set the Nazi policy you were just doing your job. You only worked as clerical, administrative, or logistical support at the concentration camp, you didn’t actually do the killing.

29. Honesty says

I honestly and truly believe the staff are NOT suffering due to the protest.

30. Honesty says

This Amanda Goodwin loser gets even worse if you read the article. WOW…:

“Too subtle,” McGowan said. “I don’t think people would get it. And not everyone here is camp …”

Goodwin nodded, chastened. “True,” she said. “I’m glad about that. I was worried a bunch of people would come dressed up in latex knee-highs, or assless chaps or something — the type of thing people are always wearing in photos of Gay Pride …”

“I didn’t want that,” McGowan said, “I specifically asked people not to do that.”

“This is much better. It shows we’re people, not freaks. We come in all shapes and sizes,” Goodwin said.

31. daws says

Meanwhile, Brunei will never hear of this and will only care that more money was deposited in his account. Good job, Rose!

Also, good job on self promoting yourself!

32. Yup says

Look at all the queens making a scene, when ultimately Rose IS right and the sultan would never notice the financial issue. The press is taking are of things. As for her being a “never was,” that’s not true at all, but don’t let that stop all you vile people from alienating yet ANOTHER longtime advocate simply because she doesn’t do things your way. Some gays are worse than the teams activists: always a victim, never gracious about the help given.

33. Steve Talbert says

Rose is misguided and wrong. Unfortunately, the Sultan is the reason that the employees of his business would be hurt in any boycott. At the start, they are bystanders at a drive-by shooting by the Sultan. At the end, they either leave, fight, or join forces with him. This situation wasn’t created by gay people.

34. Jim says

Good for her and good for them. The boycott of the gay-friendly Beverly Hills Hotel has been misguided from the get-go and just a hopeless publicity stunt. I say misguided because the boycott wasn’t even begun over Sharia law or gay anything, it was begin by a labor group upset that the hotel hired some non-union workers on a renovation job. The boycott didn’t go anywhere until the Sharia law issue came up, so they latched onto that and are using that to club the hotel into submission.

As a gay man who has been a guest at the hotel, I know from experience how many gay people work there and how friendly the hotel management is to our community. They have openly advertised that they welcome gay weddings and before that they welcomed gay commitment ceremonies. They have donated time and money and facilities over the years to support gay causes.

Muslim nations with Sharia law around the world own thousands of businesses of all sorts, including other hotels like the Four Seasons and Fairmont chains.

35. Jim says

She’s right that the boycott of this hotel will never hurt the nation of Brunei, which is the sixth richest nation in the world and the size of Connecticut. It’s only hurting the employees of the hotel, who are us and our friends. You can’t find a more gay friendly business than this hotel.

36. says

her heart is, absolutely, in the right place. but i can’t help but wish she’d thrown a big massive party *ELSEWHERE* with the proceeds of said party *going to the staff of the hotel who are affected by the boycott*

37. Jeff says

Rose if you ever see me in need please don’t try and help me. I’m in enough trouble already.

38. Jim says

There is no way around it: Everyone in the world uses products and/or services from countries that obey different forms of Sharia Law. Yes, that means each and every one of you.

The Four Seasons Hotel chain is owned by the Al Waleed, a Prince of Saudi Arabia. The United Arab Emerates owns a huge chunk of Citigroup. Are we boycotting them to send a message to the UAE? If not, does that mean we approve Sharia Law there?

750 U.S. companies do business in the UAE. Walmart does business in Saudi Arabia, another Sharia Law country. Cheesecake Factory is opening 24 restaurants in the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Lebanon but Americans aren’t protesting cheesecake.

Are we boycotting Egyptian cotton sheets? How many celebrities sleep on them every night?

Brands operated or managed by the Kuwait-Al-Shaya group include H&M, American Eagle Outfitters, Debenhams, Harvey Nichols, Payless Shoe Source, Topshop, P. F. Chang’s, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Office Depot and many more. Did you know that?

Samsung, the phone that Ellen used to take a selfie at the Oscars, is opening a factory in Egypt. I guess she doesn’t know or care. Her studio is on the lot of Warner Brothers, WHICH just made a deal with the UAE to shoot movies and sell them there.

Valentino is now owned exclusively by Qatar. Saudi Prince Alwaleed owns $300 million of Twitter – the same app everyone is using to complain about The Beverly Hills Hotel. Qatar sovereign wealth fund has a 20% investment in Porsche, Audi and Bentley – cars owned by a lot of celebrities.

39. Will says

Thing is, sad as it is, there will always be collateral damage. What choice is there? Roll over and take it? I understand what she’s saying, but what choice is there?

40. Anony6 says

The point of the boycott is not to bankrupt the sultan… Because that will never happen, as the actresses said. The point is to send a message that murderous people will not be supported in any way. There will be victims in this persuit. At the end of the day, some staff losing their jobs pales in comparison to the oppression and death the sultan has the power to imposed on the his country men. Ultimately if the hotel gets sold, it will likely remain a hotel, and maybe with public support the new owners will rehire the staff. Rose McGowan and Russell Brand are wrong in their misguided “support” of the the staff and are missing the point of the boycott.

41. Liam says

Yeah, this is a lot like the idiots who said they wanted to support the chic filet boycott but the chicken sandwiches where just so good. looking at you Chelsea Handler and Whoopie Goldberg.

42. Davros says

when I read comments saying the “workers should find new jobs” all I can think of is Elitism coming from people who have the money to jump on causes without thinking of the people that might get hurt. I guarantee if these workers were to get fired no one would give two fraks.

43. Kakapo says

It speaks volumes that she refers to all of the people working in the hotel as “struggling”. There are actual, bona fide careers out there besides “star”. Many of those people consideer their work to be an actual worthwhile career and if any of them are “struggling” then that is further shame on their employer.

44. says

I spoke at the protest against the Sultan at the Feminist Majority’s demonstration in front of the Beverly Hills Hotel. So did workers who were fired after the Sultan took over the BH hotel because they belonged to a union. Many of them had been there for decades. So McGowan not only threw a party at a hotel owned by a dictator who is going to begin stoning gays to death; whose countries treatment of women allow lashing, murder, genital mutilation and rape, let alone no independent will, but she threw a party for the underpaid staff who willing replaced the unionized workers. She and anyone who attended that party should be ashamed of themselves. Shame! Shame! Shame!

45. Inside says

As was said, if the so-called “poor workers” had any conscience or integrity, they would have started looking for new jobs when the sultan made his first declaration. Period.

It’s disgusting that some people, I’m assuming trolls or one troll under several names (Jim & Yup for example), seem to think that people once in a job can never ever find a new one.

How long has this problem with the sultan been going on?! Are we really supposed to believe that hotel staff working at a high-end hotel can’t find new jobs in all this time?! In an industry KNOWN for its revolving doors no less? PLEASE!

No, the staff was selfish, lazy, and was just hoping this would all blow over. And it didn’t. Now THEIR bottom lines are suffering because they complacently kept working for a psychotic monster.

Somehow it’s the gays’ fault for not wanting to patronize a monster, and it’s not the monster’s fault for his confiscating humanity from others?!

It’s equally disgusting how some people, trolls, will trivialize and compartmentalize this problem to dismiss it, by referencing other companies with huge anti-gay problems. So the idea is if we can’t boycott everything, we should boycott and do nothing?! No. It is the prerogative of gay communities to decide what they can do and when. If gays boycott anti-gay company X, but not anti-gay companies Y and Z because maybe it isn’t possible or feasible yet, that doesn’t mean gays should start patronizing company X. Also, boycotting X does send a message to Y and Z by proxy.

I’m so sick of concern trolls who are oblivious to the fact that silence=death, and gays have to value themselves by doing whatever they can. Even if that includes boycotting the beverly hills hotel and not EVERY OTHER company that gays have issues with. We’ll get to them too in good time, “Jim”.

46. Anon says

@JIM

Apparently, according to you and your ilk, if you can’t take down a wall in one fell swoop, it isn’t worth taking it down one brick at a time. Right, Jim? I guess we should just go to the hotel, order some drinks, and wait to be stoned and dismembered, right? That’s what you’re saying, right? :-/

47. Randy says

These people are:
    1. Attention whores, and
    2. Unable to weigh the difference between someone’s optional employment, and someone’s mandatory death.

48. kian says

the Sultan has a very very deep pocket, you can’t hurt him with that boycott..you only hurt the employees who gets to lose their jobs..think about it!