Andrej Pejic | News | Transgender

Model Andreja Pejić Comes Out As Trans Woman

In a new interview with People magazine, model Andrej Pejić revealed that she is transgender. In the piece, Pejić says she began the transition process earlier this year and that she'll now go by the name Andreja.

969783_646605498683538_1707083999_nShe tells People:

"I want to share my story with the world because I think I have a social responsibility," Pejic, 22, tells PEOPLE exclusively. "I hope that by being open about this, it becomes less of an issue...I always dreamt of being a girl," explains the Serbian-born model. "One of my earliest memories is spinning around in my mom's skirt trying to look like a ballerina."

Pejić continues:

..."about a year and a half ago, I reevaluated things," says Pejic. "I was proud of my gender nonconforming career. But my biggest dream was to be comfortable in my own body. I have to be true to myself and the career is just going to have to fit around that."

In another interview with Style.com, she talks about her childhood.

...I went on sort of a boyhood campaign from age 9 to about 13. I tried to be a “normal” boy because I felt like my options were either to be a gay boy or a straight boy. I didn’t feel that I was gay, so I didn’t know that there were any other options until the age of 13, when I went online and discovered that there’s a whole community of trans people out there. There are doctors, there’s medical care, there’s research, and that was an eye-opener for me. From that day on, I knew what I had to do.

PejicPejić also posted a message (and the selfie to the right) to her fans on Facebook.

I think we all evolve as we get older and that's normal but I like to think that my recent transition hasn't made me into a different individual. Same person, no difference at all just a different sex  I hope you can all understand that. I would also like to to reach out to all young gender non-conforming youth out there: I know it's hard, I've been there, but remember it’s your right to be accepted as what you identify with---you deserve the same respect as any other human being on this planet. As a transgender woman I hope to show that after transition (a life-saving process) one can be happy and successful in their new chapter without having to alienate their past. Most importantly differences should not equal divisions, let's all stand together in union.

She tells GLAAD:

To all trans youth out there, I would like to say respect yourself and be proud of who you are. All human beings deserve equal treatment no matter their gender identity or sexuality. To be perceived as what you say you are is a basic human right.

Pejić has already received words of support from many members of the LGBT community including Laverne Cox.

Comments

1. Cue the "Trans Road" critiques

But they do have a point

Posted by: Qj201 | Jul 25, 2014 9:08:39 AM

2. The thought of someone cutting off their genitals in order to make themselves into a woman is irreducibly repellant and disturbing. Having no experience of such a need, I can't make any sense out of it at all. But there's a whole lot of human truths that find no resonance in many of us. Thus the need for compassion and empathy as one moves on to the next bewildering story.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 25, 2014 9:26:59 AM

3. There are many things in this world that do not make sense to me....but gender dysphoria or gender identity disorder is not one of them. Andreja Pejić is just following her dreams....and that is a beautiful thing.

Posted by: excy | Jul 25, 2014 10:03:37 AM

4. Miss Andreja is very beautiful. I wish her the best in her career and life.

It's a new day for Transgender folk, and it's about time.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 25, 2014 10:05:31 AM

5. "I didn’t feel that I was gay"

So, Andreja identifies as heterosexual?

Posted by: saywhat | Jul 25, 2014 10:28:27 AM

6. @saywhat - Gender is how you perceive yourself. Orientation is who you find sexually attractive. These are different things. Pejić identifies as a woman, and is attracted to men. Surely, that is not difficult to understand?

Posted by: Gregory in Seattle | Jul 25, 2014 11:16:35 AM

7. @ saywhat

Yes. She's never really hang out with gay people if you follow her on social media. She was always with straight men.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 25, 2014 11:56:18 AM

8. Thankfully the opinions of bigots like Uffda don't matter in the slightest. The hate of trolls like Uffda is worthless and irrelevant.

Andreja is beautiful (always was). And she will likely continue to be beautiful. And a hugely visible Trans celebrity, which the world needs more of.

What a neat time to be alive.

Posted by: Tyler | Jul 25, 2014 11:56:23 AM

9. This can't be a surprise to anyone who's seen much about her before she surgically transitioned. I'm happy we live in a world and at a time when people have broad options in how they want to live their lives (pursuit of happiness and all that). But, unfortunately, although it might be nice/empathetic to grant people the courtesy of being perceived "as what you say you are" - this isn't a right. I don't want to read too much into her particular words, though (I assume she is an ESL speaker). Still, a woman who is a fashion model is likely to be deeply concerned with how others perceive her. But it isn't a right to be *perceived* as whatever you say you are. Perception is incorrigible (to roll out a epistemology jargon). Whatever our perceptions may be, decent people understand that *treating* people as whatever they say they are is the right/polite/socially conscious thing to do. The "right thing" is not a right itself, however.

Posted by: kipp | Jul 25, 2014 12:32:13 PM

10. @ Tyler

UFFDA's opinion does matter in that the first part reflects what the majority of the world thinks on the issue.

That same majority is most likely not as enlightened as the second part, " Thus the need for compassion and empathy"

Posted by: saywhat | Jul 25, 2014 2:49:24 PM

11. "I didn't feel that I was gay"

And you are not, so why do you attach yourselves to us and why is this story even on this blog?

Get lost....

Posted by: Rick | Jul 25, 2014 3:46:50 PM

12. @ "And you are not, so why do you attach yourselves to us..."

Who the fvck is "us"? She's not trying to join the Ku Klux Klan.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 25, 2014 3:52:41 PM

13. Ashamed to be Gay?....Just say you're "Transhamed"...

Posted by: styler | Jul 25, 2014 4:19:27 PM

14. Pretty disturbing story over all. Don't like that this person attaches their issues to being gay. Gay kids are subjected to enough stereotypes without having this person inflict his/her therapy issues on them.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 25, 2014 4:52:09 PM

15. looks like a heroin addict

Posted by: enchantra hagatha hearne | Jul 25, 2014 5:14:59 PM

16. @ENCHANTRA HAGATHA HEARNE,

you claim you don't drink alcohol, and I'm not going to dispute that. I know plenty drunks who behave more humanely than you do.

But I've noticed that on Friday evenings you become very nasty and very bitter.

Do as I do. Try a little vodka in a flask. Maybe it will make you more mellow as it does me. 'Cause right now...well, you're one evil b1tch.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 25, 2014 5:23:03 PM

17. "All human beings deserve equal treatment no matter their gender identity or sexuality".

Really, even paedophiles?

Posted by: Maggie | Jul 25, 2014 9:24:57 PM

18. @Maggie: there are those who would hear someone say that people of every race deserve respect and say, "really, even murderers?"

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Jul 25, 2014 9:34:18 PM