33 Amazing Facts About Your Favorite Childhood Toys: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 9.31.37 AM

Did you know when Twister was released in 1966 critics denounced the game as "sex in a box" or that the first toy to be advertised on television was Mr. Potato Head?

Find out 31 other amazing facts, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I heard this John Green guy is a Christian, which would really put a damper on the Mental Floss thing. I try to avoid bigots as much as possible.

Posted by: Merv | Aug 8, 2014 11:14:10 AM

2. There's nothing wrong with being a Christian.
    But I guess it depends on what sort of Christian you are? I'm a Christian. So is my husband. And so was the pastor who married us in her church.

Which is just to say that not all Christians are fundamentalist biblical literalists.

Posted by: Mikey | Aug 8, 2014 11:45:37 AM

3. Twister should be classified as a sex toy.

Posted by: Bollox | Aug 8, 2014 12:03:53 PM

4. The Mental Floss episodes are addicting and great trivia.

Posted by: Donny with a D | Aug 8, 2014 12:18:38 PM

5. "I heard this guy is a Christian..." So, I guess bigotry is alive and well even among the people who say that they don't like bigots. If you heard someone say "I hear this guy is gay.." and then say that was the reason they they were avoiding that person, wouldn't you think they needed to expand their thinking a bit?

Posted by: Neil | Aug 8, 2014 12:18:43 PM

6. John Green currently sits—deservedly, imho—at the top of the young adult fiction food chain. The cover art for his current bestseller, "The Fault in Our Stars," is visible on the wall in the background at the beginning of this video—a nice oblique reference. One of his other novels, "Will Grayson, Will Grayson," written with David Levithan, is one of the most gay-affirming (and funny) young adult novels imaginable. So maybe do a little homework be attempting to cast the guy in some negative light.

Posted by: GP | Aug 8, 2014 12:59:12 PM

7. Heheh, a friend hosted a pool party two weeks ago that featured an all gay, nearly naked, Twister-fest. Yes, it is indeed a sex toy.

Posted by: Zlick | Aug 8, 2014 12:59:57 PM

8. I totally forgot this guy wrote the Fault in our Stars.

One of the biggest youtube 'stars' and a NYT bestselling author of fiction. Talented guy.

Posted by: R | Aug 8, 2014 1:56:51 PM

9. This guy just seems like a DOLL. His wife is so lucky, a straight guy who's actually nice and thoughtful!

Posted by: Robert | Aug 9, 2014 6:17:30 PM

10. It seems that MERV is the bigot in this case.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 11, 2014 12:30:33 PM