Italy | News

Italy: Waiter Writes 'Faggots' On Gay Customers' Receipt

Four gay men in Italy were handed a restaurant bill which had “I warn you they’re faggots” printed on it, reports Brindidi Oggi.it.

The insult - "mi raccomando so ricchioni" - was inserted on the itemized bill between the pizzas and drinks. Faggot written on bill in Italy

"Ricchioni" is a derogatory term meaning "queer" or "faggot."

Speaking to Brindisioggi.it , one of the men said that he would never return to the restaurant in Taranto, Puglia again despite the waiter having been sacked.

"We went to the owner of the restaurant to ask for an explanation. He was speechless and apologized on behalf of the waiter. The next day he contacted us to apologize again and to say that the waiter had been dismissed. But we will not be back in that place again."

Earlier this year, a gay couple were told not to come back when leaving a restaurant in Pittsburgh. A waitress at Big Earl's Restaurant in the Iron City told Collin Dewberry and his partner Kelly Williams “we don't serve fags here.”

Comments

1. Big Earl's Restaurant is in Pittsburgh, TEXAS not Pennsylvania. So it's not in the Iron City, dear.

Posted by: TXJW | Aug 26, 2014 11:58:17 AM

2. I thought "queer" was a good and positive word. I'm confused.

Posted by: Carmelo | Aug 26, 2014 12:00:09 PM

3. Sounds like it was handled appropriately doesn't it. Why not return to a restaurant if the waiter was fired? Should it have been closed or burned down?

Posted by: Mike | Aug 26, 2014 12:00:32 PM

4. It sounds like that's exactly the kind of business you want to support. They quickly handled the situation as soon as they learned about it, and it sounds like they were very upset about it.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 26, 2014 12:03:41 PM

5. Really, someone was that stupid to write that on a bill? Even if they are a bigot, that is just ridiculous and hard to believe. If true, what a buffoon! That would be like someone writing "I warn you, they are Republicans"...who does that? In any event, the owner did the correct thing, got rid of the idiot waiter. I'd go back.

Posted by: Gerry | Aug 26, 2014 12:05:02 PM

6. @Carmelo - let me help break it down for you so you don't have this confusion in the future.

it's not about the word on its own - it's that it's used pejoratively.

for example: it would not be any better if it said "be careful, they're homosexuals" or "be careful, they're black" or "be careful, they're jews"

as well, "ricchioni" while one can translate it to be the equivalent of "queer" as a pejorative slur, does not translate to "queer" in the actual definition of the word: which means unusual. unique. less common. from a difference point of view. a deviation from the expected or perceived norm.

hope that clears it up. if not, here's one last example:

let's say someone says "i hate those goddamn queers" - the problem is not "that they said queer" - it could have very well be "i hate those goddamn gays" - pejorative. hurled as invective. that's the issue.

you're welcome :)

with love, a proudly queer-*and*-gay-identifying commenter :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 12:07:19 PM

7. "Big Earl's Restaurant is in Pittsburgh, TEXAS not Pennsylvania."

Good grief. This is the same writer who yesterday mixed up Jamaica and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Does Andy care that these writes are effing up his site, or is he having too much fun in Provincetown to notice?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 26, 2014 12:20:31 PM

8. ... and straight men in italy walk hand in hand all the time.

Posted by: woody | Aug 26, 2014 12:21:32 PM

9. @ Little Kiwi - in my opinion, Carmelo doesn't want to understand

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 26, 2014 12:24:59 PM

10. I thought liberal gays were all about tolerance? How does getting the waiter fired for calling out effeminacy demonstrate tolerance?

Posted by: Petey | Aug 26, 2014 12:25:00 PM

11. I thought liberal gays were all about tolerance? How does getting the waiter fired for calling out effeminacy demonstrate tolerance?

Posted by: Carmelo | Aug 26, 2014 12:25:07 PM

12. You're right – Big Earle's is in Texas, not Pennsylvania. It's a simple mistake, understandable error though; I'm not sure it's really "effing up" the entire site. Let's not be so quick to jump on everything.

Posted by: Nyde | Aug 26, 2014 12:35:10 PM

13. oops. there we have it. it's the same old troll. what a collection of names he's got now. very Sybil. ANDY TOWLE - reformat your comment section. I recommend disqus. it would make for discussions that are on target and promote better dialogues.
    and to all who read here, i sincerely apologize for my feeding of this pathetic and lonely man-by-many-names.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 12:35:31 PM

14. LOL! Carmelo is apparently the latest nickname for the multiple personality disordered rick, jason, petey, et al.

Posted by: Kenneth | Aug 26, 2014 12:36:13 PM

15. Just remember: where ever you go, who ever you are with, no matter what the subject of conversation, Rick [et al] will be trolling about in the background. But it WAS an excellent explanation, Lil' Kiwi! You did not waste you time.

I'm wondering that s/he/it can't figure out if s/he/it posts exactly the same thing under two different names it isn't glaringly obvious who's behind the curtain pulling the levers [or the pud]. It isn't the same as voting multiple times [probably for Romney most recently] in an election. We don't "tally up the comments" and see who "won", do we?

Posted by: ben~andy | Aug 26, 2014 12:53:52 PM

16. ben~andy, thanks :) i think it's worth explaining, because i know the issues of "words" remain confusing for some, and not just the willfully-obtuse.

as for why this site's troll does what he does: it's like people who heckle at comedy shows, only more pathetic. they have an insecure need to "join in" and be "heard" - yet don't have the integrity or courage to do anything of worth to earn said attention. so what do they do? shout something from the depths of the darkness, in hopes that they'll have a form of attention - noticed, yet without the spotlight actually on them. it's a sad thing, indeed. and it's the exclusive domain of those who have nothing of worth to celebrate in their own lives.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2014 12:57:45 PM

17. If the Restaurant dismissed the waiter...What else do they want now??....Oh......money....

Posted by: rochon | Aug 26, 2014 12:58:39 PM

18. To dilate on TXJW's comment - it's Pittsburg, TX (and the town in CA is also spelled without an H) but Pittsburgh, PA. I was born in the one with the H, so I may be a little over-sensitive.

And I agree, a little fact-checking here would go a long way.

Posted by: tominsf | Aug 26, 2014 1:09:18 PM

19. "I'm not sure it's really "effing up" the entire site."

Because it appears to be an ongoing trend... as I pointed out.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 26, 2014 1:10:37 PM

20. Hm. Someone is writing comments for me. Thanks I guess! I used to think little kiwi might have some validity in his accusations. Guess he's pretty morally corrupt.

Posted by: Carmelo | Aug 26, 2014 1:19:17 PM

21. I'd go back to the restaurant in this situation. Sounds like the ignorance was isolated to one individual who is now out of work.

Posted by: Michael W. | Aug 26, 2014 1:20:08 PM

22. I can understand the impetus not to return to the restaurant. Whether you agree with their decision or not, unpleasant experiences (we have all had a few)colour your feelings/sentiments regarding locations. After such an unpleasant event, as the article portrays the meal as a special event for the couple, it would take quite exceptional circumstances to get me to walk through the door again. Money is not the focus here- I suspect it has more to do with dignity.

Posted by: Essus | Aug 26, 2014 1:24:21 PM

23. Gotta love that Rick/Carmelo/Petey/Whatever got caught so that he's trying to pin this on someone else.

Rick, if you trolled smarter, you wouldn't get caught. It's not Kiwi's fault you're a dunce.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 26, 2014 1:33:20 PM

24. "I thought "queer" was a good and positive word. I'm confused."

Since language is obviously so difficult for you, I'm not surprised.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Aug 26, 2014 1:48:44 PM

25. I agree, the restaurant acted appropriately and I would not penalize them. Besides if you DO see the sacked waiter still there when you return then you know they weren't sincere.

Posted by: Alessar | Aug 26, 2014 1:53:12 PM