Kid Rock Calls Rap-Rock ‘Gay,’ Says He’s Not Looking Forward to Marrying Gay Couples As An Ordained Minister

Screenshot 2015-01-04 04.34.49

As far as rock stars go Robert James Ritchie, better known as Kid Rock, has never come off as being the most tolerant when it comes to members of the gay community, but he’s also never really been an explicit homophobe.

Rock showed off that trademark, middle of the road thinking in a recent interview with the Guardian in which he admits that while he’s down with the idea of gays being able to marry, actually officiating a gay wedding would give him pause. Later on in the interview, however, Rock regrettably goes on to describe the the current state of rap-rock music as “gay.”

“Rap-rock was what people wanted at the time, and they still love those songs at shows,” he said of the genre that made him famous. “But it turned into a lot of bullshit and it turned out to be pretty gay. If someone says you can’t say “gay” like that you tell them to go fuck themselves. You’re not going to get anything politically correct out of me.”

Unsurprisingly, this isn't a first for Rock. Back in 2009 when asked if he was using Twitter, the self-described “redneck” rocker pejoratively called the social network gay. Three years later, however, Rock appeared in a public service announcement alongside Sean Penn that hinted at his actual support for same-sex marriage.

Though Rock identifies as a Republican, he made no qualms about expressing his discontent with the party in a 2013 interview with Rolling Stone in which he reaffirmed his ideological support of same-sex marriage and suggested that he’d consider voting for Hillary in 2016.

Comments

1. You built this says

Stop the presses!

Middle-aged wannabe bad-ass proclaims political correctness not his thing. (Selective) pejorative language use his hetero privilege.

Grow up dumbass.

2. I kid you not says

My Mum said he used to do good music. Some of his tunes are OK but that whole not PC as some sort of act of what rebellion … seriously? What it shows me is your willingness to accept ignorance and there’s zero attraction in that. Ignorance and it’s willing acceptance is the primary factor in most of the problems humans face today.

3. craig says

Can’t say he learned much in seminary or on the job, and I don’t think I’d care to use his services to bless my wedding. Not when thee’s a great Episcopal church that accepts me wholeheartedly.

I know my rector and my bishop would give him quite a lesson on a loving God and loving EVERYONE in the congregation – and those who aren’t, for that matter.

4. Rick says

Actually makes some sense to me. He is using the term “gay” as a perjorative directed at effeminate behavior, as many young men do……even though he is fine with two guys getting married.

In other words, homosexuality is not the issue, effeminacy is……which is how most of the male population views “gay”…..and I agree with them….

5. Garrett says

When you’re a forty something year old isn’t it time to drop the Kid stuff? “Thats so gay” is something we’d expect from a kid in Sixth or Seventh grade. Time to grow up Robert.

6. David From Canada says

Both Kid Rock and Ted Nugent come from the state of Michigan, which I live right across the border from.
    I always assumed Michigan was tolerant and accepting, but I’m really beginning to wonder, with these 2 homophobic loonies running around on the loose.
    I hardly ever go to Michigan anymore – maybe this is why………..

7. daws says

Anytime someone acknowledges that a word is hurtful but is going to use it anyways, I get an immediate “toxic” vibe. Kid Rock is trash. I’ll continue to forget about him. Sad that he was Silicon Valley. They shouldn’t have given that snot any visibility (or a paycheck).

8. MickyFlip says

‘Trash’ is his shtick. Doesn’t surprise me. Only time I dug Kid’s talent was doing a rap cameo for RL Burnside on a song ten years ago. Other than that…. meh.

Honestly, I mostly skip over that song majority of the time whenever I listen to that specific Burnside album now that I think about it.

9. Adrian says

A failed white trash rock-rapper totally knows what the American public wants to hear!!! That’s why he’s still so relevant…….
    – said no one ever.

10. Fahd says

I’m sure at some point some men have found this uneducated bore attractive – no homo-, but I suspect he’s deliberately saying provocative things for the publicity.

11. Brooks says

So as a minister (really??) he wouldn’t marry a same-sex couple but says it should be legal. Sounds good enough to me. The spread of that particular attitude is probably the single biggest reason we are where we are now with marriage equality.