Current Affairs | Gay Marriage | Michelle Bachmann | Minnesota | Paul Koering | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com
« | Main | »

04/13/2005

Republican Minnesota State Senator Comes Out, Endorses Exposure of Hypocrites; Bachmann Hides in Bushes

Nws_koeringRaw Story reports that Republican Paul Koering, a state Senator from Minnesota who voted against an amendment to that state's constitution that would ban gay marriage, has revealed that he is gay.

Koering: "Somebody who is possibly in the closet and uses their bully pulpit or their position to bash gay people or to make gay people’s lives difficult... and are in essence leading a double life — people like that need to be exposed for the hypocrite that they are. And I sometimes find that, I feel that the people that you find who are hollering the loudest and who are putting people down the most are the ones that have the most to hide. They’re so uncomfortable in their own skin that they have to tear everybody else down to make themselves feel good."

Bachmannbushes1

Meanwhile, state Senator Michele Bachmann tried to take advantage of an OutFront rally against the amendment to ban gay marriage, circumvent the Senate committee process, and force a floor vote on that amendment as thousands of ban opponents rallied outside the Capitol. The move didn't pan out for Bachmann and she went outside to watch from a hidden spot behind some bushes. However, a Minnesota blogger caught the coward.

BachmannBachmann has said, among other things, that if the amendment goes through children will have to learn that homosexuality is normal: "This is a very serious matter because it's our children that are the prize for this community. They are specifically targeting our children." More on this video in which she calls homosexuals "evil".

Related
Wingnuttery: A Michele Bachmann double Feature [mn republican watch]

Comments

1. I don't understand why so many gay politicians, especially Republicans can't support gay rights. That's my question? Why? Well then, they can just go sleep with Jeff Gannon. That turned out well didn't it.

Posted by: Alex | Apr 13, 2005 7:44:56 PM

2. Thank you, Sen. Koering, for your courage and honesty. As a gay man who works in state government and fought unsuccesfully against a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, I have some understanding of the fortitude it takes for someone like you to stand up and speak the truth about the hypocrisy that festers in the halls of state legislatures. You are a role model for many of your colleages.
    And I totally agree with Alex. For God's sake, the modern Republican party had its genesis with Barry Goldwater, who must be spinning in his grave over all the gay-baiting that's going on today!

Posted by: Kimmer | Apr 13, 2005 8:10:10 PM

3. The worst of it is that Senator Bachmann is now mounting what is seen as a somewhat credible campaign for the U.S. Senate. Our state of Minnesota is no longer the bastion of Humphrey moderation or Wellstone liberalism. It is rapidly moving rightward like the rest of the country and forgetting its proudly populist roots.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 13, 2005 9:02:08 PM

4. A great reckoning is ahead...

Posted by: Rob | Apr 13, 2005 11:37:25 PM

5. Oh. Shit. I had no idea Mrs. Evil Head was planning on running for U.S. Senate.

Posted by: Josh K. | Apr 14, 2005 12:02:12 AM

6. She keeps making me think of Carrie Fisher. That haircut is sooooo outdated.

Make it stop daddy, make it stop!

Posted by: Rob | Apr 14, 2005 12:10:47 AM

7. Totally agree, Rob. Though, Carrie Fisher looks a little more baked than Mrs. Evil Head does.

Posted by: Josh K. | Apr 14, 2005 12:16:57 AM

8. This has been the funniest thing ever. As one commenter said, "I'm no fashionista, but what self respecting bigot would be caught dead in light blue slacks and high heels? Heels? with *that* top? Who does she think she is?"

This woman wouldn't stand a chance near the catty queen corner of any gay club, regardless of her political moves.

Posted by: Andy B | Apr 14, 2005 1:01:07 AM

9. Oh. My. Word. That is just too funny. A gay Republican. *eye roll* Everyone's got a skeleton in the closet somewhere I suppose.

Posted by: Teresa | Apr 14, 2005 1:33:32 AM

10. Hey. I'm a gay Republican. But not self-loathing, as I have no problem calling this Bachmann woman a word for a woman that ends in "U-N-T". And no, I'm not talking about "aunt".

There are lots of good gay Republicans out there, that stand up for gay rights. The congressman running in my district was a Republican who favored gay marriage. What's wrong with voting for him?

Posted by: Downtown Lad | Apr 14, 2005 1:46:39 AM

11. Gay Republican??? How can anyone utter those two words in the same sentence?? If you're Gay, how can you consider yourself a member of a party that wants to discriminate against us? That single issue should be enough to turn you away. If you call yourself a Republican, and support that party, then you deserve everything you get...I feel very very sorry for you.

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 14, 2005 9:01:52 AM

12. Wayne - I don't vote for Republicans who discriminate against me. However, that doesn't mean I can't believe in lower taxes, be in favor of a strong defense, free markets etc.

I'm trying to make the party more tolerant. There are many Republicans out there who are more pro-gay rights than most Democrats (Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Rudy Giuliani, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc.) Barry Goldwater was a strong defender of gay rights before he died. I see zero hypocrisy in supporting them.

So when it comes to the Presidential election, I have zero problem voting Libertarian. But at my local level (New York City), the Republicans are more in favor of gay rights than any Democrat at the National Level.

Sorry - but please name me one Democratic Senator in favor of gay marriage besides Ted Kennedy?

Posted by: Downtown Lad | Apr 14, 2005 9:56:53 AM

13. You're missing my point. Naming any democrat that's in favor of gay marriage has nothing to do with the fact that you are identifying yourself with a group who is aligned with a President with plans to discriminate. I don't care about all of the other wonderful things you believe the Republican party has done...none of it matters as long as there is even an ounce of hate or discrimination. You can argue your point all day long, and I understand that many Republicans may actually be in favor of Gay marriage, but the party's hard line, and their platform is against it, and in favor of a constitutional amendment.

I never identified myself as a Democrat, and won't, for the same reason. I vote for a person, not their party, and I would never align myself with any group that has the feelings that the our current parties share.

Perception is EVERYTHING, and by saying you're a Republican you are also saying that you share their beliefs. You can't pick and choose here...if you say you're a member of the "party" then you stand for everything.

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 14, 2005 12:04:14 PM

14. That's rediculous. Are you saying that no gay person can align themselves with a party, because it means you believe everything they stand for? The Democratic Party was against gay marriage last time I checked. Does that mean that every gay Democrat is against gay marriage???

I was offended by the Republican party platform in 2004, which is why I voted Libertarian. But that doesn't mean I have to rip up my party membership. If the Republicans have a candidate like John McCain or Rudy Giuliani in 2008, the nominee will be just as much pro-gay rights as any Democrat. Certainly more than Hillary Clinton, who backed DOMA and Don't ask, don't tell.

Not every Republican is a member of the Christian Right. As a Republican, I can have a much bigger influence on the next nominee than I would as a Democrat. I would like to see Giuliani or McCain get the nod, not someone like Santorum.

Sorry, but there's zero inconsistency here.

Posted by: Downtown Lad | Apr 14, 2005 1:10:07 PM

15. Also - I have no problem criticizing George Bush on an almost daily basis. I've never felt compelled to toe the party line.

Posted by: Downtown Lad | Apr 14, 2005 1:12:43 PM

16. Downtown Lad,
    You're obviously passionate about your beliefs, but you also seem fooled by them. If I said I was a member of the Nazi party what would that imply? I'm only a member because I'm white and they want to lower my taxes and make the world safer for me...that little problem with killing the jews is really not my concern and I'll do what I can to make them rethink that position. It wouldn't matter...I'm still a Nazi, and even though I don't support their killing of the jews, I'm still alilgned with them and the perception is that I don't care what happens to the jews.

I see the same thing here. By aligning yourself with a group that promotes hate, you're showing others that you support them.

You can certainly believe in or support individual issues, or members, of the Republican party without making yourself one of the members. You can speak out against them all you want, but as long as you identify yourself with them then you're helping them along.

I don't identify myself as a member of any political party. I'm aware that members of both parties are gay friendly, and I know that the Democrats are actually worse than the Republicans because they pretend to be gay-friendly by keeping their mouths shut. But a spade is still a spade. You have labeled yourself a Republican, and once you've done that you can not pick and choose which platforms you support and which you don't.

I know that Nazi example was a little over the top, but it's a clear example of my point here...it doesn't matter what you "really" believe if you publically align yourself with a group that is perceived as discriminatory. It makes you one of them...regardless of your admission or denial.

I'll stop now, but this issue is just one of my hot buttons...it makes no sense to me and it's painful to watch.

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 14, 2005 1:56:51 PM

17. I'm a member of the party, because I want to vote in the primaries. So I can vote for gay-friendly Republicans. I think that's a positive thing for society. It will be helpful if there were more gay people who were doing the same.

It's not like I'm attending youth rallies. I absolutely can pick and choose which platform positions I endorse. Even Bush doesn't agree with the whole platform. Only a political hack pays attention to the platform. I pay attention to individual candidates, that's it.

Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum are both Republican Senators from Pennsylvania, but I bet they vote the opposite on almost every major social issue.

I self-identify as a libertarian-leaning Republican.

Posted by: Downtown Lad | Apr 14, 2005 3:05:46 PM

18. As a gay MN ex-pat, I find the commendations of courage and honesty bestowed on Paul Koering for outing himself undeserved adulation. Certainly, his admission is advantageously timed -- post 2004 election, when Koering, favored by the Wellstone-memorial backlash against non-conservative non-Republican candidates, ran a deceptive, hypocritical campaign presenting himself as an up-front conservative espousing the objectives of the Christian Right against a decent, proven veteran DFL Senator, Don Samuelson who had earned a well-deserved re-election. Had he outed himself last Novemver, he wouldn't have won the election of course, but that would have been both courageous and honest.

Posted by: Jack O'Brien | Apr 18, 2005 4:33:41 PM

19. I loathe senator Bachmann's very existence

Posted by: Kate | Apr 22, 2005 12:04:22 AM

20. What I don't understand about Republicans (not just gay ones) is how they can even refer to fiscal responsibility as a tenet of the party anymore. Lower taxes? Yes, if you're wealthy, but at the expense of everyone else. Our deficit is monumental! The chasm between rich and poor grows ever deeper, yet Republicans oppose an increase in the minimum wage. Add to that the party's ever increasing alignment with the ultra-religious right and I just can't see being gay and a Republican.

Posted by: jason | Apr 5, 2006 6:36:33 PM

21. Good for you, Downtown Lad. Some of us have to stand up and fight the good fight for the integrity of the GOP.

The GLBT community should look at how the Democrat Party takes blacks for granted.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Posted by: Pink Elephant | Sep 7, 2006 12:41:29 AM