Personalities

Hearst vs Holmes

HearstholmesI'm loving the comparison of the kidnapping of Patricia Hearst and the "taking" of Katie Holmes over at Pop Culture Junkies.

Citing the (real life) transcript from one of my favorite films of last year, Guerilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst, Rob Thurman imagines a series of phone calls from Katie to her parents over the same time frame as the Hearst kidnapping.

DAY 9
Patty has been abducted - Katie is being Oprahed

Patty: Mom, Dad. I'm OK. I'm with a combat unit that's armed with automatic weapons. And these people aren't just a bunch of nuts. They've been really honest with me but they're perfectly willing to die for what they're doing.

Katie: Mom. Dad. I'm OK. I'm with Tom and his security team is armed with automatic weapons. And these Scientologists aren't just a bunch of nuts. No, they're evolved clams. They've been really honest with me but they're perfectly willing to let Brooke Shields die for what they're doing.

Hysterical, if not somewhat scarily on point.

Rescue Mission: Impossible [pop culture junkies]

Meanwhile, Scarlet Johansson was reportedly Cruise's first target.

Comments

1. LOL.....does this mean that Katie Holmes will start doing John Waters movies after she is liberated?

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 20, 2005 12:12:16 PM

2. That's the best laugh I've had all day! I have a feeling that Katie will regret this publicity tour before too long...if she already doesn't.

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2005 1:14:23 PM

3. IMO, Katie simply made a bad career choice. That's all Tom "The Sceintolobotomist" Cruise was.
    Ms. Holmes, best of luck... but I think the countdown of your last 15 minutes of fame has begun. I wonder if she actually knows what people really think of this whole freak show.
    On the other hand, I think Scarlet would have been a greater loss for the public. I can't wait 'til Scarlet becomes the great actress that she's destiined to be. (Holmes could have been one too.)

Posted by: Rickie | Jun 21, 2005 1:07:22 AM

4. I dont care what anyone says about Katie Holmes she is a really good actor and she plzy in one of my faviorate tv Dawson's creek as joey she might have made a mistake but i will always think she is a good actor

Posted by: Jessica | Jun 21, 2005 2:00:30 PM

5. anyone need a run-on sentence? Feel free to grab the one above ;)

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 21, 2005 2:37:02 PM

6. does anyone has the notion that katie might suffer from the so called Stockholm Syndrome ? Tom presented his Movie in Madrid yesterday,after dining with Penelope Cruz's Father and Sister,of course, Katie was also present.

Posted by: Marcel | Jun 22, 2005 8:12:55 AM