Elsewhere

road.jpg Bill O'Reilly's obsession with farm animal nuptials continues, but they're not just for goats anymore: Gay marriage may lead to duck marriage.

road.jpg One more thing folks might want to do over the weekend. It's easy as pie. Arnold still hasn't officially vetoed the same-sex marriage bill. Whether it makes a difference in the end or not, our voices can still be heard.

Follow these directions:
1. Call the Governator:916-445-2841
his number is listed at http://www.governor.ca.gov)
2. Push: 2 (voice your opinion on legislation)
3. Push: 1 (gender-neutral marriage bill - Senate Bill 849)
4. And push: 1 to support marriage equality

road.jpg LGBT Katrina survivors' next problem: discrimination and prejudice. "CNN reported that gay people seeking to locate their domestic partners 'are being turned away by both local aid organizations and federal relief,' and that FEMA is citing DOMA as the reason."

Comments

1. I am not sure my faith in people involved with the government can be anymore shaken

Posted by: Donald | Sep 16, 2005 1:59:52 PM

2. Heartbreaking, truly.

I hope this sort of information gets at least some play in the media. I realize that there are some hard-core bigots who will never give a damn about us, but I think that many of the people who oppose gay marriage may be open to rethinking somewhat if they how heartless their policies are in practice and how much real pain and suffering they cause.

Posted by: Glenn | Sep 16, 2005 2:14:09 PM

3. This is absolutely unacceptable.

I called Sentaor Russ Feingold's office in Washington and informed his staff of this. The woman I spoke with called the office at FEMA that is coordinating the hurricaine relief and apparently they have not heard about this. She said that she would inform the Senator, and that she would continue to investigate this.

I encourage all of you to do the same. The only way we can get this out into the media is to contact our legislators directly (not by email) and express our concern. Don't wait, do it now.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 16, 2005 2:59:06 PM

4. People are being reunited with their pets by the military, but they won't be reuinited with their life partners by FEMA?!?! It's nice to know even a dog is worth than a gay person.

Posted by: MT | Sep 16, 2005 3:33:30 PM

5. So where's the conservative gay asshole now who posted here complaining about an irrelevant "gay slant" to the Mother Nature/Bubba Bush generated nightmare?

Posted by: Leland | Sep 16, 2005 3:35:04 PM

6. The Gay Malcolm X theory is sounding better to me all the time.

Has the Christian Coalition done ANYTHING to help these folks yet? I've seen pics of the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Neighboring Fire and Police Depts, etc.., helping out these folks but not ONE PEEP out of the so-called compassionate conservative branch.

As for the discrimnatory policies at the federal, state, and local level.

THIS is why we need marriage rights in this country!

THIS is exactly the reason!

the absurdity of the military reunitiing pets gleefully (and they SHOULD) with their owners and yet they refuse to take on the case of two gay people who love each other and are desperate to find each other.

This is a national disgrace.

ALL Men (and women) are Created Equal.. that includes us BUSHIE!

Posted by: Darren | Sep 16, 2005 3:40:39 PM

7. io..sn f...ma aprovo molto i gay...anke xche siete molto carini!!! cmq complimenti x la foto siete figi!!!

Posted by: valentina | Sep 16, 2005 3:48:20 PM

8. We need to get more human-interest stories like this before the public, and not just the "aggragate data" kind, real tales of individuals who are hurt by groupthink idiocy. (I mean, I hear so much about homeless PETS, ferchrissakes.)

I'm sure a lot of conservatives would be delighted to see gay folks suffer, but I think we'd change a lot of minds too.

Posted by: The Malcontent | Sep 16, 2005 4:21:01 PM

9. I've been preparing to visit New Orleans next year to experience my first Mardi Gras festival. I'm sure that the good people of New Orleans will be able to rebuilt their city and make it better and beautiful again.

Posted by: Toyo | Sep 16, 2005 4:36:01 PM

10. did it already!

Posted by: Roy | Sep 16, 2005 5:44:50 PM

11. Re: Bill O'Reilly's comments about Gay Marriage opening the door for people to marry ducks, goats or other farm animals... I think it is obvious, when you listen to him, that this idea has been practiced for a long while in his family. You notice that he is suspiciously quiet about the inbreeding that he is a product of.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 17, 2005 12:14:55 PM

12. WARNING: when the world is in crisis - its much easier to ignore gay rights... sad and a damn shame.

Posted by: J.B. | Sep 17, 2005 2:44:18 PM

13. Maybe it's a good time for gay rights...maybe they'll pass some helpful legislation while the news media and the fundies are looking the other way...just a thought...give that idea to Ahnold...maybe he can be encouraged to sign the legislation while the major media isn't looking. There has been alot of hiding of legislation on both sides over the years...maybe it's a good time for it.

Posted by: Barry | Sep 18, 2005 12:03:49 AM