Gay Marriage

BigGayDeal.com

road.jpg Judith Miller out of jail, will testify in C.I.A. leak case.

road.jpg Schwarzenegger turns his back on equality, vetoes gay marriage bill.
Gov: "I do not believe the legislature can reverse an initiative approved by the people of California. This bill simply adds confusion to a constitutional issue. If the ban of same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, this bill is not necessary. If the ban is constitutional, this bill is ineffective."

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez: "History will show that Gov. Schwarzenegger had a chance to end the last vestige of legal discrimination in our state. Instead of choosing the way of the future the governor has aligned himself with the enemies of equal rights for all."

Comments

1. "The people of California" don't have the authority to restrict human rights. This is the very reason why they're called human rights in the first place - to protect minorities from the tyrrany of the majority.

Screw that steroid-addled meathead. What a pussy.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 29, 2005 11:17:01 PM

2. Guaranteeing the rights of minorities in society should NEVER be up to the general population which can be riddled with prejudice. Arnold has screwed up big time.

Posted by: Will | Sep 29, 2005 11:29:37 PM

3. I'm confused... Where's Beckham? Has his time finally passed on towleroad? LOL

Posted by: Britt | Sep 29, 2005 11:39:05 PM

4. LOL??....britt is pond scum and feeble....but arnold is the current state of schindler as nothing more than oscar material....he is manzanar....he is the antithesis of everything my birthplace represented....he is scarred from using robert mapplethorpe....he is an embarrassment beyond your voyeuristic handicap!!

Posted by: richard | Sep 29, 2005 11:50:32 PM

5. This is interesting. Direct democracy (referendum) versus indirect democracy (parliamentarianism) presided over by the Governator who was elected as well. Hmmm...I think you Americans have too much democracy for your own good.

Posted by: Ward | Sep 30, 2005 12:02:50 AM

6. Coward.

Posted by: David | Sep 30, 2005 12:09:55 AM

7. Of course Andy leaves out the good news.

The governor signed AB 1400, which adds sexual orientation and marital status to the Unruh Civil Rights Act, signed AB 1586 prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity in health care plans, granted gay couples quality under Prop. 13 for Property Tax appraisals and granted pension benefits to those of us who retired before the Domestic Partnership laws here in California came into effect.

The governor also stated, "I support current domestic partner rights and will continue to vigorously defend and support these rights… and will not support any roll back.”

Here's the governor's veto message:

"To the Members of the California State Assembly:

I am returning Assembly Bill 849 without my signature because I do not believe the Legislature can reverse an initiative approved by the people of California.

I am proud California is a leader in recognizing and respecting domestic partnerships and the equal rights of domestic partners. I believe that lesbian and gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their relationships. I support current domestic partnership rights and will continue to vigorously defend and enforce these rights and as such will not support any rollback.

California Family Code Section 308.5 was enacted by an initiative statute passed by the voters as Proposition 22 in 2000. Article II, section 10 of the California Constitution prohibits the Legislature from amending this initiative statute without a vote of the people. This bill does not provide for such a vote.

The ultimate issue regarding the constitutionality of section 308.5 and its prohibition against same-sex marriage is currently before the Court of Appeal in San Francisco and will likely be decided by the Supreme Court.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger"

Do I wish he'd signed it? Sure, but this governor has now signed EVERY piece of gay rights legislation that has crossed his desk, except AB 849, which probably wouldn't have been legal given Prop. 22. That puts his record way ahead of his Democratic predecessor.

If he had signed it he wouldn't have picked up one vote on the left and would have outraged those that voted for Prop. 22. It was simply, politically, a no win situation for him, but the bottom line is today, my BF and I, who just registered with the state, just won more rights in our state and the governor should be applauded for that.

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 30, 2005 12:58:38 AM

8. Good, Mitch. Now go sit at the back of the bus like an obedient homosexual.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 30, 2005 2:09:02 AM

9. Mich suffers from a classic psychological disorder called "second class citizen syndrome." Members of oppressed minorities will over time come to identify with their oppressors and rationalize their mistreatment and the discrimination they suffer as being justified. Given enough time, eventually their thinking and their philosophical mindset shifts to that of their oppressors. In this case, Gays believing that they are not worthy of equality because they do not fit the parameters they are told that they should fit by the "Christian" patriarchal establishment. Combined with secretly harbored feelings of self loathing and insecurity, acceptance of the status as second class human beings becomes a rationalized way of thinking and a way of life.

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Sep 30, 2005 5:02:29 AM

10. "Of course Andy leaves out the good news."

WTF?

Posted by: Kyle | Sep 30, 2005 6:13:43 AM

11. Mitch, are you just a masochist? You continue to show up here and massage the Republican/Christian/Fucked Up initiatives and support their candidates, at all costs, including your own self respect and that of others in your community. I feel deeply sorry for you, and especially for the fact that your warped sense of self has led you to believe that you are always right and everyone else is always wrong...very sad for you indeed.

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 30, 2005 8:38:32 AM

12. Richard, do you spend all day looking up words in your pocket thesaurus so that you can seem smart on a blog? Notice I said "seem."

Posted by: Britt | Sep 30, 2005 9:04:21 AM

13. Hey Mitch,

"Work will set you free!"

Time the hit the showers, son.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 30, 2005 9:15:54 AM

14. Actually, Britt, I think Richard has it about right. And I didn't see any words in his post that aren't in fairly common use. If you disagree with his point, let's hear your counter-argument. Otherwise -- and let me put this in simple, non-thesaurus words -- shut the fuck up.

Posted by: Glenn | Sep 30, 2005 9:19:10 AM

15. Oops. Sorry, I was thinking "Robert," not Richard. Britt, I take it back. My apologies.

Posted by: Glenn | Sep 30, 2005 9:21:01 AM

16. Nope. I'm not a masochist, I'm a realist. It's real easy for Andy to write that one line and then gloss over all the good news, because that makes for a great post for you guys to get all fired up about and spew epithets.

Yesterday, my boyfriend and I picked up a tangible valuable right. I no longer have to worry about us losing our house in Weho if one of us dies because our taxes would immediately double. Sorry, but signing every piece of pro-gay rights legislation that's ever crossed your desk (more than any Democratic predecessor) and then vetoing one is not, "turning his back on equality" and to say otherwise is disingenous.

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 30, 2005 9:39:43 AM

17. Robert, you live in Weho. I mean, really, you explain to me how you walk out of your 800k Spanish bungalow in the morning, go to your private gym in your 3-series, head off to work at the law firm (armed with your Ivy League MBA), lunch at The Farm, and head home to spend the evening with a $100 bottle of wine and catch Survivor on your plasma TV and still with a straight face use the phrase "second class citizen."

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 30, 2005 9:59:46 AM

18. Mitch, you didn't get the talking points from HomoCentral?:

No matter how much a Republican does for the gay community, no matter how many new rights granted or bills signed, he is STILL evil. Don't you get it? A homophobe. A self-loather. An Uncle Tom. A traitor. Ad infinitem, ad nauseum, et cetera, et cetera ... ZZzzzzzz ...

Posted by: The Malcontent | Sep 30, 2005 10:32:33 AM

19. Oh please. Republicans have such thin skin when it comes to criticizing their leaders. They seem to be able to dish it out pretty well though.

Face it... we deserve the right to marry the person we love, with all the status and recognition that marriage offers. Marriage can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but the word "equal" has only one meaning that I'm aware of. The fact that Schwarzenegger had supported some of our causes before does not mean that this decision was right. I wouldn't take this lying down from a Democrat either, by the way. Clinton pulled the same shit when he signed DOMA, and he too was a pussy for doing so.

Pussy. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 30, 2005 11:02:58 AM

20. Next election, we Californians are going to vote his perfectly sculpted ass out of office.

Posted by: bats | Sep 30, 2005 11:04:40 AM

21. Right now it looks like Carl Reiner and Warren Beatty are the Democratic frontrunners.

ZZZZZzzzzzz.......

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 30, 2005 11:19:24 AM

22. Seriously... Carl Reiner and Warren Beatty?

Eew.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 30, 2005 11:59:23 AM

23. Am I the only one who I distubred by the fact that "Ahnold" has known ties to the Nazi party?

Posted by: Jason | Sep 30, 2005 12:17:28 PM

24. What would you expect from the pig. It's time to get rid of the stink in california.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Posted by: Vince | Sep 30, 2005 1:01:36 PM

25. Busted Bitch, I mean Mitch. Arnold has signed more gay bills because he has RECEIVED more gay bills [from the legislature]--so you cannot compare him to ANY previous CA governor on that basis--Democrat or Repugnant. Typical Piss Boy for the Right Wing, repackaging the facts to suit your propaganda.

Posted by: Leland | Sep 30, 2005 2:18:14 PM