Photography | Print Media

A Strange Sense of Deja Vu

Genre_mar_2003_1 _gay_times

When I was editor of Genre magazine way back when, photographer Hudson Wright delivered a shoot to us from St. Croix featuring model Josh Saunders. It's unlikely Britain's Gay Times ever saw the cover we printed in March 2003 when they designed their latest, but they certainly know what all gay publishers know — a set of hot abs makes those newsstand figures rise. Not that it matters to the average reader (vintage beefcake never goes out of style, does it?), but I wonder if GT knew they'd been sold a second-hand model.

Hudson Wright/Splash Out/Gay Times [ohlala paris]

Comments

1. ta-da.....good morning.....wonderful email you seem to have received from someone yesterday.....repackaging -- beautiful shot, but repackaging........you're getting sleepy.....sleepy.

have a great day -- andy!

Posted by: ricardo | Mar 23, 2006 11:24:48 AM

2. As soon as I saw it at Ohlala Paris this morning, I thought about posting the same thing. Funny though how the cover seems to work better for Genre.

Posted by: Made In Brazil | Mar 23, 2006 11:31:59 AM

3. A classic never goes out of style.

Posted by: Genre Joe | Mar 23, 2006 11:42:15 AM

4. Agree w/ Made In Brazil--Genre cover is better--not as blue, highlights are almost blown. And most importantly, the text doesn't cover the abs.

Posted by: jeremy | Mar 23, 2006 12:01:24 PM

5. you did it much better at GENRE (i'm not surprised!).
    i agree with jeremy -- who covers beautiful abs with text. FOOLS.

Posted by: dave | Mar 23, 2006 12:19:16 PM

6. Is the paler flesh tone meant to appeal to the Brits - less unattainable?

Bizarre that the text is placed across the model's abbs - almost makes me suspect this is a fake.

Is the choice of a yellow mast-head a coincidence, or does someone at gay times have a distant memory of seeing that cover after all?

Posted by: Greg | Mar 23, 2006 12:19:37 PM

7. Personally, I'm flattered.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 23, 2006 12:36:17 PM

8. Another fine example what a trend setter your Genre was.

So JT I beat you again in the suck up sweepstakes.

Posted by: Donald | Mar 23, 2006 12:52:07 PM

9. At least you didn't hide his abs behind a capital A.

Posted by: Malcontent | Mar 23, 2006 12:52:31 PM

10. beautiful cover on both occasions, yet, it reminds me of good consultation the first time around and people not recognizing an obvious rip-off in repeating it.

Posted by: richard | Mar 23, 2006 3:57:48 PM

11. This is complete plagiarism (even the yellow and white cover taglines are repeated) and it shames not only Gay Times, but especially Hudson Wright for peddling his images to multiple publications.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 23, 2006 4:04:15 PM

12. Big Friggin Dea Fellas!!..

Posted by: Hudson Wright | Mar 23, 2006 6:08:00 PM

13. As the former creative director of Genre who actually got andy hired , I feel this is a case of both Hudson and the Gay Times people being tired, To use the same exact shot for a cover in a market where there only about a dozen magazines titles world wide is a mistake and an insult to the reader. Maybe a shot from the same scene but the exact shot, I mean come on. I have been a photographer for many years and a creative director and now realize why more gay men read titles like GQ- Details and Vaniety Fair- I must say its obvious the Genre cover is better on a graphic level thanks to the talent of Randy Dunbar who worked with me when I was at Genre and took over my creative director duties while I went over to Instinct Magazine several years ago as creative director Randy Dunbare in my opinion is one of the best creatives in the business , as well as Mr Towle who also one of the most talented people I have ever met.

Either Hudson never told the Gay Times this exact shot was a cover in the past or The Gay Times didnt care? Would love to know the truth- Hudson it is a big friggin deal to some who would love to see original work.

Posted by: michael | Mar 24, 2006 11:52:03 PM

14. As the former creative director of Genre who actually got andy hired , I feel this is a case of both Hudson and the Gay Times people being tired, To use the same exact shot for a cover in a market where there only about a dozen magazines titles world wide is a mistake and an insult to the reader. Maybe a shot from the same scene but the exact shot, I mean come on. I have been a photographer for many years and a creative director and now realize why more gay men read titles like GQ- Details and Vaniety Fair- I must say its obvious the Genre cover is better on a graphic level thanks to the talent of Randy Dunbar who worked with me when I was at Genre and took over my creative director duties while I went over to Instinct Magazine several years ago as creative director Randy Dunbar in my opinion is one of the best creatives in the business , as well as Mr Towle who also one of the most talented people I have ever met.

Posted by: michael | Mar 24, 2006 11:53:08 PM

15. The Genre cover is the better of the two.

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Mar 25, 2006 12:14:46 AM

16. It's interesting to see how Genre enhanced the photo through contrasting it a bit to flatter the model even more, where the other magazine printed it probably as it was delivered to them ....which looks rather flat. The color is much better in Genre as well.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 27, 2006 2:21:20 AM