David Blaine: The Human Prune

Blainehands_2_1 Blainehands

Yikes. Check out these shots of David Blaine’s hands after living in his fishbowl for nearly a week. Imagine what, um, other parts of him look like.

I haven’t made my way up to Lincoln Center to see him yet, but I think I better get up there before his skin starts falling off.

And bring some Palmolive.

Previously
Lincoln Center: The Empire Strikes Blaine [tr]
David Blaine at Lincoln Center [tr]

Comments

1. Gilli says

What is the importance of David Blaine’s ventures? I mean, is he using the publicity to try to raise money for something important? If so, great. Otherwise, I have better things to do, you know, like see what Nick & Jess are up to. Or, better yet, Andy’s “AussieBum” ads have really been catching my eye lately…

~

2. jimmyboyo says

BUSTED!!!!

i guess david Blane didn’t do enough research.

For the first few hours submerged in water, YES the human body will have moisture wicked away/ out of it and the skin will prune…but then an amazing thing happens….the process reverses!!!!!!! and you wil actualy absorb water through your skin and actualy his skin should not be pruiny after a week and he should have gained a 1lb or 2 in water weight

So, what’s up!!!?????

3. jimmyboyo says

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!

Yes, in the first hours of being in water the human body will find moisture being sucked / wicked away/ removed through the skin layer into the outer body of water. THEN after a few hours the the process reverses till homostasis is achieved= balance…the body will absorb water through the skin …….the skin will not be pruiny in fact after a week blaine should have gained a 1lb or 2 in water weight directly through his skin

something is up……

4. Marco Polo says

Please tell me why anyone gives a shit about this dork and his stupid human tricks. Because he’s shirtless? Wow, that’s really hot.

Excuse me now, I have a coma I need to go slip into.

5. Scott A says

Once again, this is all an attempt to gain tax-exempt status from the government. If he can raise enough followers then he can create a bona fide religion. That’s the magic here. 😉

Seriously though, have you been to his website? If you check out archive.org’s old copies of it, it’s got a reality distortion effect, similar to that of Steve Job’s, I’d swear blaine has studied perception or how to come off a certain way, his actions and mannerism seem very… well thought out and rehearsed. But yea, I can’t wait to join his secret club and be cool heheh.

6. says

You guys should support a man who goes through such a hard physical trial, because he is doing it to show that mind and body can overcome anything. He isn’t asking for money, he isn’t doing it for anything else but ‘magic’. Whatever, if you don’t understand it then don’t give your two cents. Keep your mundane job and life, and wither away without a trail for no one to remember you after you’re dead.

7. Gilli says

Hey Thupamodel,

I ASKED. R u saying that those of us who don’t understand aren’t allowed to ask? R u saying that David Blaine cdn’t have provided some sort of explanation to the majority of us who are art farts not science farts?

As a publicist, I think he’s guarnered so much publicity that his effect has bn–and will be–extra powerful if he had tried to raise money for some a cause. Of course, now he’ll be really rich and causes will come to him.
    ~

8. Tom K. says

I just don’t get the appeal of his stunts. He doesn’t do anything really. Where’s the entertainment value? I’ll take the juvenile hijinks on Jackass over this. Watch David Blaine prune. Why?

9. john rogers says

Personally, I respect the guy for carving his own path in life. It’s an interesting career, and it sure isn’t easy work, and he’s the best in the world at it. Fact is, not too many of us are out “saving the world,” and most of us are just negotiating revenue streams so we can have more fun in our free time. At least Blaine’s work demonstrates the possibilities of the human mind and body and does so in a very entertaining way. Is he a self-promoter? Sure, but that’s how you get your work where people can see it.

10. Liza says

Actually, your skin wrinkles in the bathtub BECAUSE it has absorbed water, not because it’s “leaking” water from inside. Your body is fairly salty, so the water enters your skin by osmosis. With that in mind, David Blaine’s fingers and toes would stay wrinkled until he got out of the water for a longish period of time, because osmosis doesn’t work the opposite way (i.e. it can’t flow from salt water to fresh water).

11. jimmyboyo says

actualy you are wrong.

Salt Nacl does not combine with H2O to create a new substance salt water

what happens is Nacl SALT is a seperate substance in miniscule form suspended in H20

in suspension in H2O…..and a nifty little product created by the israelis like last decade takes advantage of this fact by having pours small enough to blcok Salt NACL…while being large enough for H2O water molecules to pass through leaving behind saltier water while fresh water is collected on the other side.

Over a long period of time the fresh water in the tank will begin to pass the oppisite way through the skin into the body because nature always moves towards homeostasis…. balance

a balance between the amount of water in the tank and in his body……he will have GAINED 1to2 lbs of water and not be wrinkled but rather puffy

an easy way to understand this is when females are retaining……….RETAINING water they are puffy not wrinkled

so….obviously he has NOT been submerged in water for the entire week…..only a few hours at a time for whatever camera PR stunts take place…thus the wrinkles…the rest of the time…well…maybe a very life like dummy…heck one of those real sex dolls they only cost 1,000 bucks is floated in the tank….

while david is off eating, sleeping, fucking while dry and comfortable

It is all a PR stunt and not a very good one….because science says he would be PUFFY not wrinkled after such a long period of time

12. jimmyboyo says

LOL

dude take debate 101 and learnt that resorting to name calling proves that your side has already lost, your points have no merit

LOL

seriously though….ok….what is the chemical formula for salt water then???? combine NaCl and H2O and write out the new chemical if you can

LOL You can’t

it is H20 with NaCl suspended within it …not combined

and hey….take it up with the israelies………

LOL seriously take some sand…..some charcoal……some more sand……..place in layers in a bucket with a hole drilled in the bottom

pour salt water in from the top

collect less salty water from the bottom

because!!!!!!!!!!!! salt particles that are too large to pass through the layers become trapped while the smaller molecules of H2O pass on through

if NaCl and H2O was a new according to you combined substance then this would not happen the molecules would all be the same size and the wate from the bottom would be as salty as the water you poured through the top

many 6 year olds perform this experiment in 1st grade

Peace be with you

13. Tom says

You all must not really know what the deal is.
    The man is really in the tank 24/7 for 7 days.
    I was there and saw it three times as I pass it for work eachday and it is really him in there waving to people and shit.
    Also about the H2O and the pruning stuff. The water n the tank is saline water, thus he will not end up being puffy. So it is NOT fresh water in the tank. Hope that stops u both from bickering and proves that u both were right and also wrong. lol

14. taylor says

Not that I commend Davey or anything for his “stunt”, but it’s kind of cool that he is paying for it out of his pocket, and donating his entire paycheck from ABC (for the finale on Monday night) to charity…not keeping a cent.

PS: I work at Lincoln Center, and he is definitely THERE, all day, all night…after a night of drinking the other night, I was tempted to write him a message that said: “YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED ON “LOST” TONIGHT”…thought it would be cute, and a good ad for ABC, as well as the BEST show ever…in case you all aren’t clued in yet!

He is truly weird though…

15. Chad Hanging says

I saw an ad for this or an interview he gave prior to it where it was a brief clip of this startegically humble “magician” saying, “Yeaaah, this will either go as planned or the public will see a man die on live tv.”

Gosh, he’s trying to get people to watch his stunt by inticing them with his own death which will of course never happen given all the procedures they have in place. It’s another selacious stunt by a showman. I like the look of that water filled sphere but that’s the only interest this stunt holds for me.

I don’t even dislike him enough to Tivo his death.

16. jimmyboyo says

PS

he is like getting $5,000,000 for this stunt…tv coverage….equals commercial time…commercials equal money for covering his stunt…..which equals a pre signed contract worth about 5 million on who exactly is allowed to cover his stunt…..

On his not doing it for money…LOL

he has recieved 5 mill for the 44 day cage over the thames stunt…..5 million for the block of ice stunt…and now 5 million for this one…

LOL

he isn’t jesus..LOL SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Tajue says

Hey, Tom~

You saw Blaine in the bubble, and he really IS in there 24/7! You actually witnessed David “waving to people and shit”! Wow. Before reading your testimonial, Tom, I thought this was an ILLUSION performed by a MAGICIAN. So, that other guy really did make an Hawaiian mountain disappear right before our very eyes! I owe someone an apology.

18. Whatever says

Ew, those fingers are ugly. What a freak show this guy is hahahaha, FREAK SHOW. But okay whatever, he feels this is his calling in life, so let him be.

19. Tajue says

That Guy~

Because I don’t agree with Tom’s point, that means I don’t ‘get’ it? You’re the one who doesn’t get my point. The fucker’s an ILLUSIONIST. I hope you’re sitting down, because I have another newsflash: Remember when Blaine was shown levitating on one of his past television specials? Well, sorry to have to break it to you, but David Blaine can’t really FLY.

20. WHOCARES says

WHO CARES. HE’S MAKING HIS MONEY DOING HIS THING, YOU CAN’T KNOCK HIM FOR THAT. WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY FIGHTING OVER YOU OPIOINS WHEN AT THE END OF THE DAY, NO ONE GIVES A FUCK!!!! LIFE GOES ON , YOU DO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE. ALWAY SAME SHIT DIFFERENT DAY. I’M SURE YOU SHOULD BE WORRING ABOUT YOURSELVES AND WHAT YOU HAVE GOING ON, NOT WHETHER THIS IS REAL, FAKE!! REALLY GROW UP!!!!

21. WHOCARES says

22. ANDRA says

This man is an idiot and all those silly people standing there watching this nonsense GET A LIFE, he is afterall a magician
    Do you think he really spent a week in a water bubble GET REAL

23. kma says

He is no more an idiot than all the Hollywood dips who think their lives are foremost events in the worlds’ history, or all rappers and musicians believing they are demi-gods. He is just as much an entertainer as any of them and is making a better living than most of his critics on this page I would bet.

24. kma says

And to the people who think that salt is suspended in water, get an education. Salt ionizes into sodium and chloride IONS. It is on the MOLECULAR level. It is COMPLETELY in solution unless it is past super saturation, in which case no more will disolve.

25. onex says

Am I the only human that sees the deeper truth in what David is doing? How sad 99% of you people and most humans are truly blind.
    What he’s doing is far deeper than magic and illusions. Its REAL. Is there no one other than myself who knows this? For those of you knocking him, it just shows how either incredibly ignorant or frightened of him you are. David is beyond this dimension and he’s mocking how weak your little brains are.

26. ~~Christian~~ says

dang that is one soft finger lol man but i respect what he does and he’s crazy for pulling that man oh man i hope he’s ok and p.s take care of yourself lol