Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | Magazines

BigGayDeal.com
« TowleTech V.23 | Main | »

09/08/2006

Brad Pitt Will March Down the Aisle When the Gays Can

Brad_pitt_1Brad Pitt has made his views known about marriage rights in the United States in the latest issue of Esquire:

In an article titled "Fifteen Things I Think Everyone Should Know," he tells the magazine: "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."

They may be waiting for some time.

Click image for larger version...

You may have missed...
Pitt Bulge [tr]

Comments

1. Ha, so conveniance factor or do they care?

If so, does this qualify them for an award at the HRC dinner? I mean if Lance and Reichen are already getting one...

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Sep 8, 2006 5:00:57 PM

2. Now there is someone HRC can honor with an award.

Brad and Angelina continue their march unto modern sainthood.

Love them
    Love them
    Love them both

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Sep 8, 2006 5:02:22 PM

3. If more public and private citizens did the same maybe we could shut the GOP and the religious right up.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 8, 2006 5:03:58 PM

4. Wow! That's something. I applaud them. I've liked Angelina since I saw Gia. I've never seen a Brad Pitt movie and really don't know much about him but it's cool that he and Angelina would do that.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 8, 2006 5:06:02 PM

5. Good for him/them! Kudos!

I couldn't agree with you more Mr. Towle!

(okay peeps, I promise no more exclamation marks if this one post -just this one- is bitterness free!)

ooops, I put an ! in there...me bad...

Posted by: Mark | Sep 8, 2006 5:07:27 PM

6. Jack you have never seen a Brad Pitt movie?

Are you one of the lucky few living on a deserted tropical island sipping coconut milk all day while basking in the sunlight? Where the heck have you been to never have seen a Brad pitt movie?

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Sep 8, 2006 5:09:54 PM

7. "Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."

I thought that was more like, "Angie and I will consider tying the knot once Angie says it's okay for us to consider tying the knot."

Posted by: Mike | Sep 8, 2006 5:33:53 PM

8. Well, that's a clever way of telling Angelina that you'd rather use her as your sex object rather than actually having a partner for life -- "No, honey... we can't get married 'cause the gays can't. Yeah, that's it." Please.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 8, 2006 5:34:11 PM

9. Unnecessary cynicism aside, good for them. Charleze Theron has also taken this stand. And then, hey, if Angie says "no", he and Jake can marry--I'd definitely dance at that wedding!

Posted by: kurt | Sep 8, 2006 5:39:22 PM

10. I haven't read the whole article, but the criteria mentioned is really, really strict! Does he include polygamy in this too? How long is he prepared to wait? After all, what about the fine Commonwealth of Mass? This sounds like an applause line rather than a well considered protest. Brad Pitt movies are perhaps better with the sound off.

Posted by: Anon | Sep 8, 2006 5:44:16 PM

11. ...and the bitterness and negativity continues.

Geesh, it must be miserable to be so skeptical and so negative ALL the time.

Is it at all possible that they are taking a principled and public stand against injustice?

I for one applaud them and Charlize Theron for their principled demonstrations.

And yes ANON, it includes polygamy and father/daughter and man/dog and human/Martian and elephant/pig etc. Any more Focus on the Family talking points you want to add here?

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 8, 2006 6:07:36 PM

12. I applaud Mr. Pitt for taking this stand, it once again puts out there the reality that discrimination is alive and well in the US, and must be overcome.

My respect for him just went up a significant amount.

We need more straight allies to support our cause. One day the laws will be changed and the freedom to marry given to gays as well.

Posted by: Dan | Sep 8, 2006 6:10:31 PM

13. Jordan,

From my point of view it's Angelina who's getting the best end of the stick in the "using for a sex object" category.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 8, 2006 6:10:32 PM

14. Marriage is a guarantee of a partnership for life? Somebody forgot to tell 50% of the married people that.

Somebody also forgot to tell a couple of friends of mine who have been together and committed (though unmarried) for 42 years that they can't do that without a marriage license.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 8, 2006 6:18:02 PM

15. Brad Pitt has always been gay-friendly, has a number of friends who are gay, and I think that's fantastic.

I'm sure being with Angelina has opened his eyes even more to queer issues, and I wholeheartedly applaud the two of them for at least using their celebrity to get people to think about this important issue.

Posted by: Rey | Sep 8, 2006 6:25:18 PM

16. I have already said this to my wife many times...

Posted by: m | Sep 8, 2006 6:32:40 PM

17. Sorry to be cynical, I do like Brad and Angelina but both of these people have been married and divorced a few times between them, so WHY now? Did they not know gays couldn't marry before? This proclamation is hollow at its base.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 8, 2006 6:38:32 PM

18. And, I quote:

OPINION | washingtonblade.com
    Bye! Bye! Bye! to Lance’s award

If HRC needs celebrity flair at its dinner, ask Lance to sing while Reichen takes his shirt off. Don’t give them an award.

By RANDY FOSTER
    Sep. 08, 2006
    A FRIEND CALLED this week to ask, “Do we really have to go to the HRC Dinner? For Christ’s sake, they are honoring Lance Bass and Reichen Lehmkuhl!”
    My first thought was it had to be a joke.
    Lance Bass was a member of the now-defunct ‘N Sync, was willing to spend $20 million to visit the International Space Station, and, according to VH1, changed his name to “Lanceton” so that the last letter of each member of the boy band name spelled N-S-Y-N-C. This guy deserves national recognition from the Human Rights Campaign?
    Lance was spotted by gossip hounds at the Atlantic House nightclub in Provincetown over July 4 and subsequently outed by the New York Post. Afterward, he talked about being gay to People magazine, getting his photo on the cover. A mere 90 days after being outed and after insisting to People that he will refuse to become “an activist,” HRC will devote time at its National Dinner Oct. 7 to honor him?
    Reichen Lehmkuhl, the 2003 winner of the reality show “The Amazing Race,” whose greatest achievement since has been being photographed shirtless for countless gay publications, deserves national recognition by HRC?
    Reichen is no more the activist than Lance. Asked by Logo how he stays involved on gay rights issues, Reichen replied: “I am a member of GLAAD and of SLDN, the Service Members Legal Defense Network that protects gay people in the military.” There are hundreds of thousands of gay people who have joined gay groups. How is this special? And he doesn’t even mention HRC.
    If Reichen’s participation in “Amazing Race” is the reasoning for his award, then why not honor his then-partner Chip Arndt as well? Since “The Amazing Race,” Chip has become chair of the Democratic Party in South Florida, and an outspoken advocate for gay rights and people with HIV and AIDS. [Actually president of Freedom Democrats, the Miami LGBT Democratic caucus, but point still WELL-taken. -LF]
    He is clearly a role model for GLBT activism. What does this say about our values in choosing Reichen over Chip?
    HRC IS NOT recognizing GLBT activism; they are recognizing a notorious gay couple thrust into the national spotlight by paparazzi. If the exposure of Lance as a gay man advances the GLBT cause, then shouldn’t we be honoring the New York Post instead?
    What rationale could possibly warrant this? Two words: fundraising glamor.
    HRC is walking a fine line to balance GLBT activism and entertaining the members who fund it. That is acceptable until recognition of leadership for social change becomes confused and overshadowed by recognition of gay celebrity.
    If we, as a community, are focused on the superficial, we are affirming the shallow stereotypes our enemies portray us to be — the outcome of Reichen’s “marriage” to Chip is now fair game to them in the fight against HRC over gay marriage.
    THE 45 DIRECTORS on HRC’s board recognized the need for new direction, and Joe Solmonese is emerging as one of our nation’s GLBT thought-leaders, but the institutional challenges within HRC are resistant to change.
    The 150-member HRC Board of Governors organizes fund-raising and volunteer activities nationwide. Their premier events are the HRC dinners. Like other gay parties, they have become more extravagant every year, with tickets now reaching $250.
    Civil rights activism is not entertainment. It is a daily war fought by individuals who seize opportunity, at risk to themselves, to stand up to ignorance, and fight for equality.
    HRC is risking the alienation of its core base by trying to look trendy, cool and elitist in its fund-raising. Recognition of style is beginning to overshadow recognition of substance. That’s OK for MTV, but not HRC.
    The incredible GLBT achievements of Billie Jean King, who will also be honored at HRC’s National Dinner, should never be confused with someone caught in a gay bar 90 days ago.
    If we are looking for celebrity flair at the dinner, then let’s ask Lance to sing while Reichen takes his shirt off. Don’t give them a National Award for being over-exposed.
    I would still encourage people to attend the National Dinner. It is important to show our appreciation to those who work at HRC every day on our behalf. It is their night, too.
    But when the awards for Lance and Reichen are presented, me and my friends will be outside the ballroom at the bar in a quiet show of protest.

Posted by: Leland | Sep 8, 2006 6:39:30 PM

19. The HRC has lost any real support from the gay activist community since it endorsed Al D'Amato for the Senate, it is clear that many here do not know much about its record. They are just another inept political group draining funds from the gay community that could be used elsewhere. I still believe there are some good groups in our community, but this one has the credibility of the Clintons.

As for the Brad Pitt thing, Jack you should rent Thelma and Louise, great movie that put Pitt on track. While he has not done many great roles, he is a fairly good actor who is easy on the eyes. Whatever the reason he is pushing gay marriage, he is pushing gay marriage. You don't hear that from John Revolta or Tom Closet do you?

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 8, 2006 8:42:04 PM

20. I agree with Mike, I like Angelina and Brad and I think they are really gay-friendly but both of them have been married and divorced a few years ago.
    Charlize Theron sayed the same thing but she never has been married.

Sorry for my bad English.

Posted by: spanishguy | Sep 8, 2006 9:36:31 PM

21. I make a joke, and it's automatically discounted as "bitterness and negativity?" Why is it that whenever someone makes a remark that goes against what the majority is saying in the comments section, someone always feels the need to chime in with "Oh, look, the bitchy fags are whining again" or some such like that? People are so goddamn judgmental.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 8, 2006 10:51:43 PM

22. Here, here Leland.

Boo hoo Jordan. Toughen up a bit bubba.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 8, 2006 11:23:01 PM

23. Jordan,

If you'll notice, when I was directing a comment to you I used your name or quoted you.

I didn't use your name or quote you in the "bitterness and negativity comment" so why would you assume that I was directing that comment to you?

Don't be so sensitive and delicate.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 8, 2006 11:28:20 PM

24. Suffering succotrash (sic)! The HRC awards are turning into the GLAAD Awards--also known as The Award For Just Showing Up. Is Lance going to wear a black-tie Hazmat suit to keep him from being contaminated by all the "crazy activists" present (80-yr. old icon Frank Kameny is more of an activist when he takes a piss than Bass 24-7) or just dig his NASA flight suit out of the closet, too? And the Blade writer is right on re Reichen. Why didn't they give him AND Chip an award in 2003? Or Arndt one ALONE this year? Is HRC adding Reichen's Cry All book to their ludicrous "store" or will he be peddling pictures in the lobby of his ubiquitous naked ass with a big yellow equal sign tattooed on it? Now that might bring them some money to further waste on their outmoded strategies, though it is surprisingly disappointing when you finally see it--oddly small for his size, it almost looks like one of those fake Halloween butts or as if he's had the wrong-size implants:

Posted by: Tagg | Sep 8, 2006 11:43:35 PM

25. As much as I admire Brad's gay-friendly views, I would never base my decision to marry on someone else's rights (or lack thereof). Instead, I would just choose to marry, and help the fight for others.

Posted by: Lady Heather | Sep 9, 2006 12:46:46 AM